Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > General Discussion > Community Competitions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Oct 18th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #161 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkRavinMad

cisco - You totally had me for the first half of the mix, and then totally lost me for the second half.
Thanks dude!! A partial success at least!! Possibly the tracks could have been re-arranged somewhat placing eatstatic dionisiac after orbital and terra firma after abduction and then dropping the last one from scratch without mixing it...

Cheers
Sysadmins, don't let the human link in your security chain let your hard work go to waste. And hackers, don't let sysadmins get away with weak links, when it is their chains that are holding your data.
ciscobiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 18th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #162 (permalink)
Cruising at 120BPM

Send a message via AIM to HudsonHawk Send a message via MSN to HudsonHawk

I think SRM was talking about the same thing I was. Track 4 takes your mix direction it was not suppose to go.
Unread Oct 18th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #163 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonHawk
I think SRM was talking about the same thing I was. Track 4 takes your mix direction it was not suppose to go.
Yep, I INSISTED to myself that I would play track 4 somewhere - the problem was that all the tracks were all wildly differing BPM's and I spent ALL my time trying to get them to FIT together in some way. This meant up and down with tempo on both decks to get them to merge.

Hey ho, it forced me to SIT at my decks and USE them which was good for learning.

But of course you are correct - family, friends ALL say the same - TRACK 4 doesn't work..

I've listened to 3 so far - I'm curious to see what your playing - downloading now!!
Sysadmins, don't let the human link in your security chain let your hard work go to waste. And hackers, don't let sysadmins get away with weak links, when it is their chains that are holding your data.
Unread Oct 18th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #164 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonHawk
Yes, and in all honesty, the mixing was not nearly as tidy in the second half.\

The only way I could have maybe seen that track work was if you started with it. "Don't be afraid" and all the listeners would be like "yeah, we're not", but then have each track get progressively darker.
StarkRavinMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 18th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #165 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

Send a message via MSN to PhineasFreak

cicsco - although i was gonna refrain from commenting until i'd listened to all, yours is my fav so far (out of 6 that i've heard)

edit: congrats to JM for the first tune to make me look at the setlist 'cos it is a must buy:

Luke Chable & Phil K. – Because We Can

wow.

New Psy-Dub remix!
http://www.ubetoo.com/psytrance/46349

Last edited by PhineasFreak : Oct 18th, 2006 at 12:52 PM.
PhineasFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 18th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #166 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

Wielen danke. Merci beaucoup monsieur Phineas. I had some PM's that were a bit crazy about it. I thought on balance it would go down well. Most of them ARE great tracks from 12-14 years ago (in my opinion ofcourse) and I knew I had to play them come what may.

The rules said "anything goes" so i took that at at face value and it gave me the reason I was looking for to get away with it! I ain't no pro-dj - just wanted to play some tunes that people would feel like cranking up a bit and overlook my beginners style.

2nd half was a bit ****ed up tho - that's agreed - I just wanted to play those tracks...together.

SRM, I like ur joke...very witty!!
Unread Oct 18th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #167 (permalink)
Floating On Cloud Nine

Send a message via AIM to Bruceway Send a message via MSN to Bruceway Send a message via Yahoo to Bruceway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Rascals
That intro (And outro) was hella fun to record! LOL! I never made smaples before and it was interesting to say the least.

Did happen to notice Bee Dubdaya, that I found the crypt keeper!!!
Yeah I noticed.. where did u find him??
Unread Oct 18th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #168 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via MSN to Dogfax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscobiz
Yep, but I was lucky enough to get 37 mins out of what I had. And besides, I like track 4!! It was really all about playing the Orbital tracks and the last 2 and fitting stuff around them. I could have done a better job of the final mix. Sorry if track one went on too long...

Cheers
never say sorry for using orbital trax... The Hartnol brothers are turntable gods in my opinion...
Odd how we both had the same thought about using Orbital trax, but picked diff ones??
AndyG's Vocal Sessions, every 2nd Tuesday, 19:00-21:00 GMT VT Chnnl

DG's Building Block Series, first Wednesday of every month on DI's Oldschool Electronica Chnnl 7PM GMT

The Dogs Elements of Dance for all VT lovers, SSP forum
Dogfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 18th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #169 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhineasFreak
cicsco - although i was gonna refrain from commenting until i'd listened to all, yours is my fav so far (out of 6 that i've heard)

edit: congrats to JM for the first tune to make me look at the setlist 'cos it is a must buy:

Luke Chable & Phil K. Because We Can

wow.
Agreed.. Im diggingJms mix .. first track is sooo catchy and haunting too....good pick fella!

DG's Building Block Series, first Wednesday of every month on DI's Oldschool Electronica Chnnl 7PM GMT

Unread Oct 18th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #170 (permalink)
Spreading the Progspel

Send a message via ICQ to Lil' Rascals Send a message via AIM to Lil' Rascals Send a message via MSN to Lil' Rascals Send a message via Yahoo to Lil' Rascals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceway
Yeah I noticed.. where did u find him??
There's a free .wav site which I can't remember off top of my head right now... I got it at home.

"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. When we play music the playing itself is the point." -Alan Wilson Watts
Lil' Rascals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 18th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #171 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfax
never say sorry for using orbital trax... The Hartnol brothers are turntable gods in my opinion...
Odd how we both had the same thought about using Orbital trax, but picked diff ones??
Yep they knocked out some great tracks, eh. Those were the days!

Sorry mate - haven't listened to yours yet. I'll download that now then before bed (interview tomorrow)...

mmm sounds like JM is playing progressive stuff? Sounds like a good way to wind down from a stressful interview when i get back!! I'll look forward to that.
Unread Oct 18th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #172 (permalink)
Floating On Cloud Nine

Send a message via AIM to Bruceway Send a message via MSN to Bruceway Send a message via Yahoo to Bruceway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Rascals
There's a free .wav site which I can't remember off top of my head right now... I got it at home.
YOU B'STARD... don't tease me like this in PUBLIC!!!
Unread Oct 18th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #173 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscobiz
Yep they knocked out some great tracks, eh. Those were the days!

Sorry mate - haven't listened to yours yet. I'll download that now then before bed (interview tomorrow)...

mmm sounds like JM is playing progressive stuff? Sounds like a good way to wind down from a stressful interview when i get back!! I'll look forward to that.
No need to say sorry bud, youll get there in time.. Im way behind on the listening front.. only on my second.. which is JMs.... good prog,, and cool haunting effects... If your out there JM, did you add these effect or are they part of the tunes????

Unread Oct 18th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #174 (permalink)
Protector of Puppies
Forum Staff

Smile friendly environment for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfax
...only on my second.. which is JMs.... good prog,, and cool haunting effects... If your out there JM, did you add these effect or are they part of the tunes????
Jeremy Micheal probably recorded the effects from Belluvue Psychiatric Hospital. j/k

You peeps may as well write reviews as you go....you're already commenting on each other's tunes.

Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 18th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #175 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula
Jeremy Micheal probably recorded the effects from Belluvue Psychiatric Hospital. j/k

You peeps may as well write reviews as you go....you're already commenting on each other's tunes.

Ahhhh the delectable Paula.. me and BW were just mentioning you over MSN.. you hear your name being called out??

Unread Oct 18th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #176 (permalink)
Protector of Puppies
Forum Staff

Talking Delectable?

Trying to decide if I should give rewards this time or just simply vote. Redoing my criteria for best overall mix as I type.

Where did cousin Brucie disappear to with that funky hair?
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 18th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #177 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

hes about.... watching as always...

lucky I got these extra safety rubber under pants on.. scary stuff!! might have to order a second pair.

Unread Oct 18th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #178 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula

Yeah, I figured I'm not going to be writing out full reviews, I'll let the DJ's do their thing. I just have general likes and dislikes or the occasional "that wasn't so smooth" kind of comments and I was just spitting them out as they come to me.

Dance2MyTrance - Nice mix. I don't remember any particular transitions, which is a good thing in my book. Good dark feel but a little on the hard side for me.

DG - I normally freakin HATE DnB, but you picked out some tracks that I kind of liked. Nice job with both of your tracks. My biggest complaints would be the intro and intermission...the intro felt misleading and too long, and the intermission broke up the flow. But you got me to listen to DnB all the way through
StarkRavinMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 18th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #179 (permalink)
Cruising at 120BPM

Send a message via AIM to HudsonHawk Send a message via MSN to HudsonHawk

Dog's mix was quite interesting. Especially in the beginning. Oh and Ominae I was going to include Brainbug - Nightmare into my mix as well, but took it out in the final version because I went over 40 minutes.
Unread Oct 18th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #180 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Tek-Fox Send a message via AIM to Tek-Fox

Ok, here are my first 4 reviews.

PhineasFreak –
Awesome way to start out, Wink and Hawtin is a killer combo. Track selection looks like it has tracks from some heavy hitting producers. Unfortunately, my house knowledge is pretty much nil, but I’ll give it a try anyway. Mixing is spot on thus far. Awesome. The track at 20mins is killer and really made the mix for me. At first I thought… eh, this is just grooving, but once that track dropped it defiantly kicked the mix up one. Mix at 23 seemed to grate a bit, good tracks just slightly off. If you know me, you know I hate house but this mix is pretty sweet, good tracks and really builds to the climax at the end.

Bruceway –
2 things jump out at me right away when I listen to this mix. Samples and track originality. Congrats on that! Using the phantom to start with is an awesome way to get into the mix, especially since it isn’t a crappy hardcore remix of a classic. Then moving to metal to psytrance, and not only psytrance but one of the best psytrance tracks, for me at least. The mix mellows out a bit at 20, which is ok, but the track that you go into is really atmospheric and the mix tends to get pulled down by it. Builds right back up with the SUN project track and their signature guitars. Ending with Iron Maiden, sweet.

Tek-Fox –
You are a God among men (and women =p).

Shroom –
Great intro. The piano is a nice touch, especially when overlaid with the vamp D track. This mix is just effing spectacular. Flawless mixing, awesome tracks hardly any mistakes at all. Everything is on point. There was one mix, at around 22 that I felt could have been done a bit better to make it a little smoother. The basslines clashed a bit. I don’t know what else to say other than I’m going to have to put this on my ipod. Wicked.
Tek-Fox presents Bass Infektion: Destroying the Drum and Bass channel on June 5th @ 1:00EST
DnB so hard that it makes you make it sandwiches.

Auditory Revolution
www.tekfox.net
Tek-Fox is offline   Reply With Quote