Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > General Discussion > Community Competitions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Dec 17th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #241 (permalink)
Protector of Puppies
Forum Staff

Smile you are bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfax
so you see how easy it is to filla page with rubbish??? good work fellas!!
only trouble is I reckon we r in trouble when Mr Rascals shows up and sees how we hijacked his forum..
That's exactly the effect you wanted.
Better hide. The General will be making his rounds shortly.
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 17th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #242 (permalink)
Chillin with Buddah
Forum Moderator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfax
so you see how easy it is to filla page with rubbish??? good work fellas!!
only trouble is I reckon we r in trouble when Mr Rascals shows up and sees how we hijacked his forum..
It's all good though!!!
Unread Dec 17th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #243 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to ominae

Get a life post whore ahahah Just messing. Did previous comps seem to get more voters?
Unread Dec 17th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #244 (permalink)
Protector of Puppies
Forum Staff

Default My visual of their theme

DJ #1
"The Holiday season reminds me of family, friends, loved ones, and those special cherished memories. This mix takes me on a journey back in my memories of when I first decided to become a DJ. It is a tribute to those artists and DJs that inspired me to do so, all with an uplifting holiday feel. So during this holiday season when you are returning home on the twilight’s eve, listen to this mix to fully understand how music creates and enhances a particular feeling, and state of mind."

A Walk Down Memory Lane is the theme. "You must be some kinda freak" comes out of my speakers - Hmmmmmmm. Would love to have been a fly on that wall for that visual. The first 2 were House mixes which merged well, IMO, into a trancey mix. Energy levels heighten as our "jedi dj" reviews highlights from his life "on the road to retrieving the mark of the deejay." Christmastime, a time of reflection, for our jedi dj, reflects on their current abilities, where they hops to go, who they hope to touch thru their mastery of the turntable (or whatever software is used).
I noticed no trainwrecks. Transistions were smooth. I didn't care for the 2 tracks at the beginning of this set nor their relevance unless they represented chaos and transistional periods. Third track on was energetic, with segments allowing for reflection.
Overall: I like this set and think the selected music reflects the theme.
You earned your jedi dj mark.
Unread Dec 17th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #245 (permalink)
Protector of Puppies
Forum Staff

Smile insane energy

DJ #2
"I guess the theme i chose would have to be the happiness of the times and the sadness that can come with it,
and what i have felt for the past 6 months or so.
So really my theme would have to be feelings.
Also, my tracklist tells you what I was thinking as well."

Since the theme was quite sparse, I hope the music and title tracks will be as sufficient as our dj hopes.
The first track was like watching a racehorse explode out of the gate. If this mix represented what they've been feeling for the past 6 months or so, they must be an extremely happy individual. Extremely high energy from the first track onward. There were moments of introspection throughout the mix.
This mix is a high-impact aerobics instructor's dream , minus a few extremely long acapellas (which is something I hate).
Transistions track-to-track were smooth. No noticeable trainwrecks. Good EQs. Endorphin-enhancers.
Overall: I enjoyed this set. Butt-bopper. Despite the weak description, the music reflected this dj's happiness. A good place to be, IMO.
Unread Dec 17th, 2006, 08:05 PM   #246 (permalink)
Protector of Puppies
Forum Staff

Smile ordinary day

DJ #3
An Ordinary Day

"To me Christmas means nothing special. Just two ordinary days, like most days. Okay, it isn't entirely the same as any other day. I don't have to work, and have all day to do fun stuff. Just a nice cozy day at home, spin some music, watch some tv, have a nice dinner and perhaps an awesome party in the evening. I look out to christmas each year because it's a free day, but other than that it means nothing at all to me. An ordinary set for an ordinary day. With a timeless melody at the end, for something as timeless as a day off. Enjoy."

2 days of Christmas = an ordinary day. A chilled mix equating to days off from work. At 18:20, just getting around to commenting about this track. This mix(18:20) is too energetic to represent a "hoe-hum" day.
End-to-end trance. Now unless this person is having sex non-stop from sun-up to day's end, I can't envision this being an ordinary day for them.
Perfectly-balanced EQs. No railroads. No adventurous twists. Just smooth trance.
Overall: The music = theme. Equally important, I like the mix.

Nothing says ordinary like doing laundry

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Unread Dec 17th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #247 (permalink)
Protector of Puppies
Forum Staff

Thumbs up shop til' you drop

DJ #6
1Part Vodka 1Part Music 1Part Sex

To me holidays are about Love and unity. Those are the two prevailing themes in the mix. Though I did try to incorporate everything from being overwhelmed by holiday stress (hence "I cut my throat" piece) to drinking and partying.

Lounge mix?
I can hear the chaos of the Christmas season in the overlap of the first 2 mixes. No attempt to beat-match was made. I think that was perfect in pointing out holiday stress.
The visuals I get: Holiday shopping on Fifth Avenue...the streets are crowded with shoppers, almost shoulder-to-shoulder...it's early evening yet the sun has already set....Christmas lights everywhere adorning the streets, skylines and store fronts....cold, but not freezing. Santa Claus is coming to town playing in the background from somewhere. Packages already in hand, and still more to go.....stress...which store? which store?....what to buy?....

The track playing that high sudden sax represents: nearly getting hit by one of those NYC taxis while crossing ( and you had the right-of-way). Shopping's done and heading to the jazz club to meet up with friends for drinks before venturing into the dance halls.
Lounge mix. The deliberate overlap of the first 2 tunes was brilliant. It kicked off the holiday stress. Great acid jazz tunes. Perfect mixing of subsequent tracks. Balanced EQs.
Overall: I thoroughly enjoyed this mix AND the music= theme.
Unread Dec 18th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #248 (permalink)
Protector of Puppies
Forum Staff

Smile happy happy happy

DJ #8
"For me the holidays are about the love and having good time, all the tracks I used remind me of the person I love and they are for dancing too so that's my theme."

This was a very happy mix. The happy chord hit me from the first note.
What is this? Sounds like tree ornaments accidentally striking each other. Cool!
I didn't have much to go on in terms of a theme. No visuals. Plenty of positive energy though. It reflects the love they have for their mate and naturally this mix is good for dancing. No train wrecks detected. EQs balanced. Nice sound effects in the tracks. Perfect mixing of the tracks.
Overall: I like the mix a lot. I thought the theme could have been better expressed. Not enough to go on.
Unread Dec 18th, 2006, 08:53 AM   #249 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

Send a message via MSN to PhineasFreak

anyone remember the first mixcomp?

Quote:
The rules were like this:

DJ to preform an original mixed set of no more than 30 minutes with as many/few tracks from the predetermined track listing as deemed necessary by the participant. Any remix of a particular track may be used to allow for each participant's individual style. For the sake of a level playing field, no intros or voice overs will be allowed. Effects may be used in the mix as they express individual style.
i'd be intrigued to see what would happen if we tried that again at some future date...

New Psy-Dub remix!
http://www.ubetoo.com/psytrance/46349
PhineasFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 18th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #250 (permalink)
Protector of Puppies
Forum Staff

Smile memory lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhineasFreak
i'd be intrigued to see what would happen if we tried that again at some future date...
I wasn't listening then. My first comp was Mix #2. A pleasure to have met you and the other dudes from that era (minus the neg peeps).
Kudos to DG for extending that invite to listen.
Unread Dec 18th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #251 (permalink)
Cruising at 120BPM

Send a message via AIM to HudsonHawk Send a message via MSN to HudsonHawk

Quote:

I guess it depends on artists/tracks we pick. Very likely we will end up with another trancefest. Which reminds me... my comp 1 set was torture to the ears.
Unread Dec 18th, 2006, 09:17 AM   #252 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

i enjoyed even the first one immensley since it used a whole set of trance tunes i didn't own and i managed to mix a totally different set by using ambient beatless ans breaks versions mixed in there...

New Psy-Dub remix!
Unread Dec 18th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #253 (permalink)
Cruising at 120BPM

of all the comps id say my favorite was number 3 and maybe 4.
Unread Dec 18th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #254 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

interestingly i think personally i enjoyed the heist most so far but my best mix was the techno mix i did for whichever one i did a techno set for...

New Psy-Dub remix!
Unread Dec 18th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #255 (permalink)
Protector of Puppies
Forum Staff

Smile Hound Dog

Quote:
interestingly i think personally i enjoyed the heist most so far but my best mix was the techno mix i did for whichever one i did a techno set for...
Halloween Mix Comp - featuring the Techno Werewolf
Unread Dec 18th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #256 (permalink)
Cruising at 120BPM

4 was the heist one... had a lot of fun working on that. Saw reservoir dogs (my theme) like 3 times that weekend.
Unread Dec 18th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #257 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

i had the Channel 4 film "shopping" in mind when i did my mix for that - jude law, sean bean, sean pertwee and sadie frost all before they were particularly famous doing ramraids and drugs to good edm in a slightly futuristic london. i know the film so well i could imagine the story even though i hadn't seen it for years...

New Psy-Dub remix!
Unread Dec 18th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #258 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

Quote:
i had the Channel 4 film "shopping" in mind when i did my mix for that - jude law, sean bean, sean pertwee and sadie frost all before they were particularly famous doing ramraids and drugs to good edm in a slightly futuristic london. i know the film so well i could imagine the story even though i hadn't seen it for years...
Now that's a cool Find..

Thanks Phin..

I'll be sure to check that out..
Unread Dec 18th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #259 (permalink)
Floating On Cloud Nine

Send a message via AIM to Bruceway Send a message via MSN to Bruceway Send a message via Yahoo to Bruceway

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiBBLeS THe CaT
Now that's a cool Find..
Thanks Phin..
I'll be sure to check that out..
Me too... and ..
While you're at it Dibbles... check out "The Italian Job" the original (Michael Caine).. not the new one. That was my inspiration, and I think I puuled nearly all my samples from it!

PS. These mixes are really good guys. I'll get my votes in this week. (been really busy)
Unread Dec 18th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #260 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Groove
It said that as well when I looked it up but I didn't want to quote the entire definition.
If you had to look it up, you don't know what it means.
ciscobiz is offline   Reply With Quote