Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > General Discussion > Community Competitions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Mar 27th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #41 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

That is because many of us, I included, use computers.
And the subject has been debated to death.
excercyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 27th, 2006, 10:02 PM   #42 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Micheal

im wasnt trying to start a debate here or offend anyone just wanted to now if people who just use computers and computers only could enter
Jeremy Micheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 01:37 AM   #43 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

Send a message via MSN to PhineasFreak

oooh! Handbags at 10 paces! sucer of milk for table 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoJo
[*]Mix should be judged not on beatmatching/mixing, but a combination of mixing and overall feel of the set itself. (How it makes you feel)
therefore, what does it matter about beatmatching, unless you're just out to prove how great you are at beatmatching 'cos you're soooooo cool...

Quote:
[*]Have FUN!!
Thank goodness someone still remembers the point of having such challenges - it's to enjoy an excuse to make some mixes we might not normally make, have a challenge and experiment a little - above all else, get some fun out of making mixes!

what's with all the petty arguing? if you're so scared of mixing out of the only genre you're big enough to appreciate why are you so desparate to join in? it's not a competition as in "lets compete to prove who's best" but merely "let's see what can be done, given the same tools"...

New Psy-Dub remix!
http://www.ubetoo.com/psytrance/46349
PhineasFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 02:17 AM   #44 (permalink)
Daydreaming Globetrotter

Quote:
[*]Mix should be judged not on beatmatching/mixing, but a combination of mixing and overall feel of the set itself. (How it makes you feel)[*]Have FUN!!
That's how I voted for the mix (yours, coincidentally ) in the last DI DJ competition, as that is what I thought the point was. Not just technical skill, but how the set makes you feel~

Seeing as the enjoyment aspect for both the audience and the DJs (as Phin points out) is probably the biggest part of the competition, why are we thinking of not having the regular non-expert DIers vote this time round?? I didn't think this was so serious If you end up using a panel of judges, could the rest of us at least get a chance to hear everyone's mix?

music is my 1st love ~ edm 4 life

All aboard travelling into a trancetastic future -d_o & I

Keep the peace flowing, the love growing, the unity going

Let the music take control of your body and your soul
travelyogatrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 05:18 AM   #45 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

I agree with CoJo, it should be an old skool, play-what-you-will type competition. Otherwise it's simply too restrictive and too boring to listen to. I don't wanna listen to the same songs ten times over like the last competition.

I think it should also be 30 mins max. I just don't have time to listen to anything longer. 30 mins is enough to get a few tunes in and a few nice mixes, but without you needing to look at the clock, wondering when it's gonna finish.

If the competition runs along these lines, I might even enter it myself!
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 05:24 AM   #46 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

i'm cool with the idea of a "play what you will" type mix, limited to 30 mins - but i think a vote is much more interesting than judges - as long as it's not a "i only like trance so the other mixes suck" type vote...

New Psy-Dub remix!
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 05:43 AM   #47 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via MSN to Dogfax

As a computer user only, why not have that next to the mix? that way people could see what medium they used on the mix and judge accordingly... so instead of just voting on "mix 3" for example.. you could have a little more info to make an educated decision.. ie "mix3 done on MixMeister Pro by a dedicated trance addict" Or would that give too much away??

And i agree that the computer programmes that beat match can be useful, but in no way make a mix.. have you heard and mixes that were left up to the computer??!?! YUCK! Just proves that computers have brains but know souls
AndyG's Vocal Sessions, every 2nd Tuesday, 19:00-21:00 GMT VT Chnnl

DG's Building Block Series, first Wednesday of every month on DI's Oldschool Electronica Chnnl 7PM GMT

The Dogs Elements of Dance for all VT lovers, SSP forum
Dogfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #48 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

i think that would pre-dispose some people to judge on the wrong aspects of the mix. without listening to the journey it takes you on, but instead thinking "yeah, but it's not a proper mix"...

i'd rather see things totally annonymised - that way it's interesting to see if the computer real takes skill out of the equation or if a newbie with eclectic tastes can compete with an old trance pro...

New Psy-Dub remix!
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 07:31 AM   #49 (permalink)
Floating On Cloud Nine

Send a message via AIM to Bruceway Send a message via MSN to Bruceway Send a message via Yahoo to Bruceway
Talking My 5 penneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhineasFreak
i'm cool with the idea of a "play what you will" type mix, limited to 30 mins - but i think a vote is much more interesting than judges - as long as it's not a "i only like trance so the other mixes suck" type vote...
I've got to agree with Phineas... Let's have a no holds barred 30 minute mix and see what comes in. Leave it open to all (like last time). We can debate the niceities/badites (is that a word??) in the forum.
xx
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #50 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Send a message via MSN to DI Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceway
I've got to agree with Phineas... Let's have a no holds barred 30 minute mix and see what comes in. Leave it open to all (like last time). We can debate the niceities/badites (is that a word??) in the forum.
xx
badites? really???

I'm down for anything, so long as it's all in good fun.
DI Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #51 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

no jugdes...

but that can be a little hard for the non trance oriented mixes as we know DI is biased towards trance...

EMFAS
JMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #52 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

I'm bias against trance so I'm not too worried about it,
for evey one who will vote only trance is there one who will vote not for trance.

So if there are five trance mixes, they're not going to acquire many votes.

I'm down with a no holds barred, thirty min mix comp.
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #53 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

i think were making progress. woohoo. does anyone know how the hell to set it up? i only competed last time - i had nothing to do with organisation...

New Psy-Dub remix!
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #54 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

We could use UGS, they are already setup for this sort of thing.
But the last time we did that the dissassociation from DI caused participants to lose interest, and most everyone flaked out.
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 09:16 AM   #55 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

this is my idea

well the firts is making a threath with a place for everyone to inscibe and post thir mixes, with some time limitations

then a second thread should be made where the public poll wouldbe created, and also give it some time limitation

in case of a technical draw, maibe the 2 winers woudl like 2 make 2 mixes more for a rematch or the least plausible option is that someone is delgated a wild carrd to decide wich one is the winer...

EMFAS
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 09:22 AM   #56 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

last time to keep things annonymous i think there was an independent adjudicator who assigned random contestant numbers and kept them secret 'till the end.

i was cool with there being a draw - just went to show that two different styles can be equally popular - no need to stomp one guy into the ground...

New Psy-Dub remix!
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #57 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

yes there is a need for someone to adjudicate random numbers to mixes and keep keep them anonymous...

so i guess that changes the things a little.. as there must be an organizator and everything should be done via PM...

just making a firts thread with rules and limitations would be posted,, also who is the one to PM the links of the mixes, also for estandarisation i think a default hosting provider should be choosen.

after all the mixes has been submited and the time limit has ended a second thread for votation must be made!

and thats all i think

yes i agree Phyneas a draw is ok!

EMFAS
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #58 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhineasFreak
i think were making progress. woohoo. does anyone know how the hell to set it up? i only competed last time - i had nothing to do with organisation...
ive been looking at storage sites to get this thing going. it would definetly be easier it seems by keeping the mixes to say 30-35 minutes. im looking for the ones with no bandwidth restrictions and that you'll be able to downloand the mixes from up to a month. also GT was the one who assigned numbers last time, dont know if he would want that role again?
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #59 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Default how much time does everyone feel they need?

would like alittle feed back from people looking to join in the fun. How long do you feel you need to get your mix together for entry? would a two week time limit be okay? alot of us work full time here so as to get as many people involved is that cosher? And two weeks for polling like last time?

just trying to see how much time i have to get the storage site set up for everyones' mixes.
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #60 (permalink)
Spreading the Progspel

Send a message via ICQ to Lil' Rascals Send a message via AIM to Lil' Rascals Send a message via MSN to Lil' Rascals Send a message via Yahoo to Lil' Rascals

So from the looks of it this is NOT going to be like last time. It's just a straight up mix comp? 35 minutes max? Mixes in by April 15th and public voting until the 30th? No intros, outros or voice overs? Effects are legal. Who wants to appoint numbers (GTizzle has said nothing, I assume he's not going to do it)? I'll host again and if you want I can appoint numbers as well.

As before, please do not reffer to this as an official DI Competition. We appreciate the forums greatly, but as we have no staff support for this, we can't make that claim.

"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. When we play music the playing itself is the point." -Alan Wilson Watts

Last edited by Lil' Rascals : Mar 28th, 2006 at 11:32 AM.
Lil' Rascals is offline   Reply With Quote