Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > Daily Life > Other Passions > Computers & Information Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Nov 30th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Default What mb to buy? newbie here

What is a good stable and very compatable motherboard? Im looking to build a fast AMD XP 1900. Im thinking a Asus board? I dont need Raid or onboard sound. Any suggestions? I probably wont overclock it.
thanks
tqm189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Nov 30th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

Are you AMD fanboy?

The Athlon XP 1900 use Socket A, this socket has been replaced by AM2 and AM2+ sockets. If you are planning a cheap build with an upgrade in the future, I suggest getting a motherboard with AM2 socket and, therefore, plan to use processor that goes into AM2 socket:
Processors for under 25 dollars: Newegg.com - $10 - $25, Processors - Desktops, CPUs / Processors, Computer Hardware
Processors for under 50 dollars: Newegg.com - $25 - $50, Processors - Desktops, CPUs / Processors, Computer Hardware

It is my opinion that modern processor would be much more powerful then the XP 1900 you are thinking, modern processors has faster bus, more cache and possibly better architecture.

A lot of cheap motherboards come with on board sound and video these days. Looks like you are trying to avoid them, there is not point in avoiding them, you simply turn off the on board sound and/or on board video, and use whatever you want to use. Same about RAID, you actually do not get hardware RAID on the regular motherboards, you still get software RAID, a hardware RAID is still costing about 150-200 dollars, so when you buy cheap motherboard and it says RAID, it is software RAID, you just turn it off and never hear about it again until you reset BIOS to factory default, but then only happens if you have hardware system crash, not likely to happen.

Last edited by ij70_17as : Nov 30th, 2008 at 05:04 PM.
ij70_17as is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 12th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Addict

i prefer intel.
wich mb depens from ram, cpu and other stuff
3Drives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 13th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Addict

I know I'll get flammed for this, but i'm a huge fan of the XFX series. I own a XFX 680i with a intel c2d. the 780s are very pleasing and would definitely recommend it.
Jvc21 is offline   Reply With Quote