Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > Daily Life > Other Passions > Computers & Information Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Sep 13th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Default Windows Update is the devil

I have decided that I hate windows update.

Why?

Well have any of you windows users ever been surfing the web or word processing and suddenly notice that your CPU usage has gone to 100%? This of course with nothing running that causes this? I have, and the reason is windows update. It's done it on multiple computers I have owned.

When you see your computer doing this, Ctrl-Alt-Del and see if the process 'svchost.exe' is the one running at 99/100%. If so it is probably windows update doing it.

This seems to happen when a new patch is released, and renders my computer useless for about 5 minutes, and by useless I mean I cannot click on anything...

Therefor I have decided to disable windows update (disabled it in the control panel as well as the in the services list). I also have decided to use 'WindizUpdate' which is basically a windows update for firefox

http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

I'm not bashing XP...however, while it is useful, I find that windows update does more harm than good.

Last edited by Ambiguity : Sep 13th, 2006 at 07:09 PM.
Ambiguity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 13th, 2006, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to Trance-Aholic Send a message via MSN to Trance-Aholic

That's odd, I've never had that problem.
Trance-Aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 13th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Perhaps you just don't know it.
Unread Sep 13th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

svchost does that once in a while. And it def. blows since you usually have several instances of it running. A restart fixes it most of the time.
- I float away...
- You are my guide, You are my light, You take me to a place where i can shine
DJ_Serg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 13th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Svchost is the thing that contains most system process. When I went in (SysInternals process explorer) and looked at which process was doing it, it was wupdate. Every time it is wupdate.

It's not because you have several instances running, it's because windows update is the devil.

http://searchwinit.techtarget.com/or...207419,00.html

Last edited by Ambiguity : Sep 13th, 2006 at 10:07 PM.
Unread Sep 14th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Send a message via AIM to Hotpockets

I've noticed this a few times and it's extremely annoying. I don't have the problems you are having but I definitely notice something. Thank you for both of the links Ambiguity!
Hotpockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 14th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
DI Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Serg
svchost does that once in a while. And it def. blows since you usually have several instances of it running. A restart fixes it most of the time.
That's correct. An svchost instance handles Windows Update and it takes whatever CPU it can get while it's examining your software config. This svchost runs at Normal priority. (I'm surprised Microsoft doesn't have it run at Below Normal since Automatic Windows Update is supposed to be a background process.)

So what you can do is to raise whatever program you are working on to Above Normal priority when you notice that Windows Update is running.

I myself do not do that, instead I disable Automatic Windows Update and run Windows Update manually. Patches come out on the 2nd Tuesday of every month by same time Joof's show starts: 2PM US Eastern / 7PM UK / 20:00 CET. A preview of what patches will be released is available Thursday before at this page.

An advantage of manual is that you can also get non-security updates, and you can skip updates that you don't need (e.g., the monthly malicious removal tool if you already have an Internet security suite). But you have to be diligent enough to mark the 2nd Tuesday on your Calendar! If not then better to leave Automatic on and raise priority on something else like I said before.

Lee Haslam - MUSIC Is The Drug
Entranced is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 14th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entranced
I myself do not do that, instead I disable Automatic Windows Update and run Windows Update manually.
Yes, this is what I plan on doing now. Didn't know about the 2nd Tuesday of the month though.
Unread Sep 14th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

I just hate when your done updating and it says to restart your computer, but you don't want to at the moment and then that annoying thing keeps poping back up asking you to reboot.
Unread Sep 14th, 2006, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pb
IRC Crew

"During the night, Microsoft took it upon itself to update my computer. I arrived at work to find a message stating: "Windows recently downloaded and installed an important security update to help protect your computer. This update required an automatic restart of your computer."

"When you chose, on your own initiative, to disregard all my precautions and reboot this PC last night, I not only had several notes in progress; I also had about a half-dozen web browser windows open. It has taken me the best part of three hours to try to recall what I had discovered, and where - and I honestly doubt I will be able to recover the majority of those URLs. They took considerable research to find."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08...gates_invoice/
Pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 14th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
-K-
Qualified Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pb
"During the night, Microsoft took it upon itself to update my computer. I arrived at work to find a message stating: "Windows recently downloaded and installed an important security update to help protect your computer. This update required an automatic restart of your computer."

"When you chose, on your own initiative, to disregard all my precautions and reboot this PC last night, I not only had several notes in progress; I also had about a half-dozen web browser windows open. It has taken me the best part of three hours to try to recall what I had discovered, and where - and I honestly doubt I will be able to recover the majority of those URLs. They took considerable research to find."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08...gates_invoice/
I was infuriated by this exact same problem, on a server of mine no less. It was disabled as fast I as I could. It really shouldn't work that way by default.
-K- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 14th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

I have Windows Update download the updates but then ask before it installs them, so I can do it at a more suitable time.
Unread Sep 14th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Endless Blue
Forum Staff

windows update never causes any trouble for me, except that it always wants to restart at the wrong moment and comes up with this stupid popup that says it will restart in 5 minutes unless you click restart later, which just launches the same popup again 5 minutes later or so

23-03-2002 - 06-04-2010 RIP Murciélago
Dustwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 14th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustwave
windows update never causes any trouble for me, except that it always wants to restart at the wrong moment and comes up with this stupid popup that says it will restart in 5 minutes unless you click restart later, which just launches the same popup again 5 minutes later or so
Your paragraph does not back up the preceding statement.
Unread Sep 14th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Endless Blue
Forum Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambiguity
Your paragraph does not back up the preceding statement.
well obviously i was talking about that cpu thing with that statement

23-03-2002 - 06-04-2010 RIP Murciélago
Dustwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 14th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustwave
well obviously i was talking about that cpu thing with that statement
We'll see.
Unread Sep 18th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambiguity
I have decided that I hate windows update.

Why?

Well have any of you windows users ever been surfing the web or word processing and suddenly notice that your CPU usage has gone to 100%? This of course with nothing running that causes this? I have, and the reason is windows update. It's done it on multiple computers I have owned.

When you see your computer doing this, Ctrl-Alt-Del and see if the process 'svchost.exe' is the one running at 99/100%. If so it is probably windows update doing it.

This seems to happen when a new patch is released, and renders my computer useless for about 5 minutes, and by useless I mean I cannot click on anything...

Therefor I have decided to disable windows update (disabled it in the control panel as well as the in the services list). I also have decided to use 'WindizUpdate' which is basically a windows update for firefox

http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

I'm not bashing XP...however, while it is useful, I find that windows update does more harm than good.
Yes, this happens to me... And it is really annoying too..

Last edited by e-Ville : Sep 18th, 2006 at 08:44 AM.
e-Ville is offline   Reply With Quote