Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > General Discussion > Everything Audio
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread May 4th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Send a message via MSN to DI Revolution
Default Home theater speaker advice

I'm looking for some new speakers for my home theater. I am thinking about some decent floor speakers and some rear bookshelf speakers. I would have it running thru an Onkyo 601 reciever. I already have a decent sub with an Infinity ps12" sub. I upgraded that already but am looking for some decent speakers. Toxis - I took your advice about the Sony LCD TV. Thanks I am thinking about either Infinity or Polk speakers for the fronts and maybe for the rears too. I am trying to keep a decent budget on all this and don't need the uber high-end stuff.

thanks in advance.
DI Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 4th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to Toxis Send a message via Yahoo to Toxis

What's your budget? Are you trying to replace the fronts only, the fronts and center, or all 5?

Personally, I don't like the Infinity's but their subs are great for the money so good going there. As for speakers, some people love them but to each their own. I wouldn't put money in 'em. I'm a Polk or Klipsch guy for the buck. You should check out Polk Audio's forum... you'll see me over there quite a bit as well (more than here that's for sure). We have a SHIT TON of uber knowledgable guys over there and most of the big dogs put me to shame. Either way, as always, I'll do my best to help ya out.

Tech 1200M3D's for sale. Accepting offers.
Toxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 8th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Send a message via MSN to DI Revolution

I went and looked this weekend at Polk and Klipsch and Aethna? What do you think about Moniter 50s for the front and M20s for the rear? I went to circuit city and they didn't have the rsti series.

Are the Moniter lines any good/durable?

At best buy, the kiplich screen was broken, so I couldn't listen to them. The Aethenas sounded pretty good though. Ever heard of that brand?
DI Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 8th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to Toxis Send a message via Yahoo to Toxis

Yeah I'm familiar with Athena. They're a sister company to Energy. I love Energy but don't like the harsh tweeter on Athena. They just seem cheaply built to me. I could be wrong. Plus, the Klipsch you find at BB are the entry level Synergy series. They are far inferior to the Reference line. Kinda the same story with the Monitor series of Polk though. What you should do is find a smaller local shop who carries other companies or different lines of the same companies. Go to Polk and Klipsch's website and do a search for retailers in your area. That's where I'd start. Plus, I never really recommend supporting mass market, box moving, entry level companies like BB and CC. Small and local, better service, far better knowledge, better products and still good prices. Plus, they'd be more willing to make you a deal if you buy a whole system at once. Good luck. Report back.

Tech 1200M3D's for sale. Accepting offers.
Toxis is offline   Reply With Quote