Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > General Discussion > Everything Audio
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Dec 30th, 2007, 04:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Send a message via AIM to Sharpie
Question New to Keyboarding. Want to play Trance. Confused.

So I just got a new keyboard, the Yamaha YPT-210, the cheapest thing they're selling unless the 200 is still on shelves somewhere. With it, my intent is to learn to play the keyboard (prolly a given).

I want to play rave music, specifically trance. However, I'm confused as to how the particular sound is produced. This keyboard has around four hundred voices, however maybe five of them get no closer to rave music than The Birthday Massacre. Don't get me wrong, I love TBM, but...

How do I produce techno songs? Note I'm not presuming to be able to do it with this keyboard. Do I need techno voices, and thus to return this keyboard and get a different model, or can I make these voices work using a soft synth, or a synth?

So sorry if I sound completely ignorant. I kinda am. I did some homework, but don't seem to be able to educate myself much further without asking this question.

Create Well,
-Sharps
Sharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 30th, 2007, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
DI Addict, Sonic Fanatic

I've got an old Casio keyboard that only has 64 rhythms and tones. Only 3 tones produce synthy sounds. You're better off than me! I'd say take a piano class. I'm sure it will help. You could just tinker around a bit. Try to play along with your favorite trance tracks.
Trance88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 30th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
One Man Spaceship

Send a message via MSN to pudman_x

http://forums.di.fm/the-artist-lounge/so-you-want-to-make-music-99001/

Carl Craig
pudman_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 30th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance88 View Post
I've got an old Casio keyboard that only has 64 rhythms and tones. Only 3 tones produce synthy sounds. You're better off than me! I'd say take a piano class. I'm sure it will help. You could just tinker around a bit. Try to play along with your favorite trance tracks.
Yes, I'm working on actually learning to play the keyboard. However, I can be a master pianist, and be able to play every EDM song I know with the "grand piano" voice, and still not produce a single song that actually sounds like EDM.

-Sharps
Unread Dec 30th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Errr... if you're going to get a keyboard for production, you have to get something worth getting lol.
The keyboard you got is probably as basic as it gets with some cheesy samples and etc. Honestly, if i were you, i'd get i sampler like FL studio and a decent size midi controller. Hook it up to a synth VST and you have all you need to start making trance.
- I float away...
- You are my guide, You are my light, You take me to a place where i can shine
DJ_Serg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 30th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Serg View Post
Errr... if you're going to get a keyboard for production, you have to get something worth getting lol.
The keyboard you got is probably as basic as it gets with some cheesy samples and etc. Honestly, if i were you, i'd get i sampler like FL studio and a decent size midi controller. Hook it up to a synth VST and you have all you need to start making trance.
Yeah well I got the cheapest Yamaha I could fine, just to learn to play with, given I'm unemployed for the moment. So if I hooked my keyboard up to my FL Studio-loaded laptop with a MIDI cable, I'd be good to go?

I'm not sure I completely understand what you're suggesting, because, if I'm not mistaken, a keyboard is a MIDI controller, and FL Studio is a VST host, but you've almost implied the synth VST to be a separate item from FL Studio.

-Sharps
Unread Dec 30th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
Yeah well I got the cheapest Yamaha I could fine, just to learn to play with, given I'm unemployed for the moment. So if I hooked my keyboard up to my FL Studio-loaded laptop with a MIDI cable, I'd be good to go?

I'm not sure I completely understand what you're suggesting, because, if I'm not mistaken, a keyboard is a MIDI controller, and FL Studio is a VST host, but you've almost implied the synth VST to be a separate item from FL Studio.

-Sharps
If you can connect your keyboard to the soundcard, then you're in business. Then you can simply load a VST plugin (a synth or a drum machine... whatever), link it to your keyboard and start playing. This'll give you better sound quality than messing around with those cheap presents and samples you have on your keyboard memory. Now, given that some VST can be stand-alone packages, you may not even need to have FL Studio installed... But that of course depends on the kind of VSTs you're getting.
- I float away...

Last edited by DJ_Serg : Dec 30th, 2007 at 10:29 PM.
DJ_Serg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 30th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Serg View Post
If you can connect your keyboard to the soundcard, then you're in business. Then you can simply load a VST plugin (a synth or a drum machine... whatever), link it to your keyboard and start playing. This'll give you better sound quality than messing around with those cheap presents and samples you have on your keyboard memory. Now, given that some VST can be stand-alone packages, you may not even need to have FL Studio installed... But that of course depends on the kind of VSTs you're getting.
Sooo...

keyboard
+laptop
+synth (FL Studio?)
=EDM?

Yes?
Unread Dec 31st, 2007, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
Sooo...

keyboard
+laptop
+synth (FL Studio?)
=EDM?

Yes?
yep, it's the same setup i have.
- I float away...