Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > General Discussion > Everything Audio
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jan 12th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Default Poor with a passion.

I currently desire a high quality stereo system for my room but lack financially since i am a teenager and a Jeep is more important to me. I have a mini-system which provides 50x2 watts @ 6 ohms. I have the speakers that came with it the match the specs of the stereo, which is Aiwa not that it really matters. I also have a set of pioneer speakers which are rated at 45 watts @ 6 ohms. Last of all I have some computer speakers, 2 satelites and a small sub. What would be my best option for hooking this gear up? Currently I have the stereo with the speakers that came with it and for an input I have it form my computer, I also have the pc speakers hooked up by the means of a Y cable. I would appreciate any positive suggestions not just the "your an idiot buy really equipment" comments since i am not looking to invest money in that right now.
kman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 13th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to Toxis Send a message via Yahoo to Toxis

There's nothing you can do to get it all hooked up properly. You're trying to rig it. Don't.

Tech 1200M3D's for sale. Accepting offers.
Toxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 13th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Ok. I figured I would get an answer like that. What would be a cheap upgrade for better sound? Such as a receiver that would play at 6ohms and power all 4 speakers?
Unread Jan 15th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

That'd be the best start! Get yourself a Denon or Harman Kardon stereo amp. They'll hook up 4 speaks and will handle 6 ohm no problem. That's where I'd start!

Unread Jan 15th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
DI Addict, Sonic Fanatic

I got my 100w Teac AG370 receiver for $60. It has 3.0 surround capabilities. The stereo manual says to hook up an 8 ohm minimum but I have hooked up a pair of speakers like yours rated at 6 ohms to it many times.
Trance88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 15th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Endless Blue
Forum Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxis
Harman Kardon stereo amp
yeah those are pretty nice, and aesthetically pleasing aswell so you don't have to hide it in some odd place

23-03-2002 - 06-04-2010 RIP Murciélago
Dustwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 15th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Ok, well I was not looking to spend any moeny but desire results and am willing ot spend some money but not a large amount. From some browsing I ahve done Denon seems to be higher end equipment and also comes with a larger price tag. What would be an average price for an entry level Harman Kardon receiver? Also am I wrong about Denon or are there some entry level receivers that will not be out of my price range? I am willing to spend around 150 maybe 200, but not more. What would be some options for me?
Unread Jan 20th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Sell the jeep.

Being a teenager, you're more likely to wreck it than you are to damage an equivalently priced sound setup. Audio components also do not require gasoline, new tires, taxes , insurance or yearly inspections. I would also expect them to hold their value better than a automobile of the same initial price.

Thus in the long run, you will be saving money. You may send that saved money to me if you like....though I will have to charge a fee...

Last edited by Ambiguity : Jan 20th, 2007 at 02:16 AM.
Ambiguity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 21st, 2007, 10:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Addict

i don't have the jeep yet, i am saving for it. currently i drive an old buick i think you can understand now why i want to buy a jeep. and after i buy the jeep i am gonna get audio system for my room then the jeep. but, i see your point also
Unread Jan 28th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Why waste your money on a lame ol' new car when you can turn your old bucket into a sleeper? It's what I'm going to do with my '86 Volvo 240 GL.
Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 28th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Addict

umm maybe a '96 buick lesabre isn't a bad ride but isn't that nice either if your a teenager. i am sensing some sarcasm about that volvo...
Unread Jan 29th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman17
Ok, well I was not looking to spend any moeny but desire results and am willing ot spend some money but not a large amount.
Yeah I want something for nothing too. Why aren't people giving me money? I want more, and I don't care that I'm not doing anything for it. Time to learn a lesson in life, if you want something that performs, you have to pay for it. It really is that simple.

If the jeep is more important, live with that decision until you can afford what you seem to think you are entitled to.
StarkRavinMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 29th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
DI Forum Lurker

Send a message via AIM to Topbob

I'd buy a new system, or in my case, a system, over a new car any day.
Unread Jan 29th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Addict

yea, i kinda think since i have a steady paying job now i am gonna treat myself to atleast a reciever for the time being then continue the savings for a car
Unread Feb 1st, 2007, 08:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cooking Up A Mix
Forum Staff

i will never understand why does everybody have such a desire to buy new cars, let alone a JEEP....i wouldn't get a Chrysler ever again, even if they paid me...also, i never did and never will buy a brand new car eventhough i can afford it, to me a car is just means of getting from A to B...besides, the second you drive it off the lot you lost money, on a different note, how much time do you spend in the car vs listening to music...that to me will be the decisive factor.

I Use Multi-Million Dollar Satellites to Find Tupperware in the Woods :D
all my sets at my ever W.I.P. website --> http://www.t4e.nu/
trance4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 1st, 2007, 11:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

I haven't lost a dime yet on my new car... and it's technically a year old (even though I've only had it for 4 months).

Unread Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Polar Tribute Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxis
I haven't lost a dime yet on my new car... and it's technically a year old (even though I've only had it for 4 months).
The moment you drive it off the lot it's resale value decreases by a substantial amount. That said, I have only once in my life bought a new vehicle. I wanted to be sure of it's history, take good care of it, and not have to buy another for many years to come. I had the money and was willing to pay for the peace of mind to know that the only problems would be of my own doing, not problems hidden by someone else... The loss from driving it off the lot is only experienced if you do resell the vehicle... Vehicles are a means of gettng from point a to point b, and, unless you're a collector of rare, exotic automobiles, should be viewed foro wht they are and not as an investment.

But.. as the title of this thread states....

"Poor with a passion"

It is pretty obvious to me what that passion is.... and the tunes are taking a back seat. Nothing wrong with that, btw, just be honest w/yourself and call it like it is.

Thank you DI for giving Brian Rogers a recurring set date! :)

Last edited by gotwf : Feb 2nd, 2007 at 12:29 AM.
gotwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 6th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Addict

well i decided to get something i was wondering everyones opinion of it. i am looking at the Pionner VSX-516-K which is a 7.1 100 watts per channel reciever.

i would paste a url for the unit but cann't since i don't have 15 posts and didn't wanna post for the sake of posting just to get my numbers up for a link

also two weeks ago i saw an ad for bestbuy that was for a 50 dollar rebate on this unit so i can wait for a sale on it again to pay around 150 for it instead of 200
Unread Feb 7th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman17
well i decided to get something i was wondering everyones opinion of it. i am looking at the Pionner VSX-516-K which is a 7.1 100 watts per channel reciever.

i would paste a url for the unit but cann't since i don't have 15 posts and didn't wanna post for the sake of posting just to get my numbers up for a link

also two weeks ago i saw an ad for bestbuy that was for a 50 dollar rebate on this unit so i can wait for a sale on it again to pay around 150 for it instead of 200
Hey!

You might want to check ebay for other 7.1 recievers. Pioneer is ok but there's a lot more to choose from.

...and Funky!
Nicadraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 8th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Addict

i checked ebay and it had some really tempting prices on some pieces but i don't like the idea of getting it used, the screen could be burned out or a connection in the back could be broken. i feel more comfortable getting it outta a sealed boxed or being able to see it in person if its used. i know there are plenty other brnads that rre better i am just looking to stay at 200 or less which is hard to do