Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > Help Desk > General Help & Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Dec 7th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Default 256 kbps MP3 or 64 kbps HE-AAC

What has better sound quality: 256 kbps MP3 or 64 kbps HE-AAC because I might upgrade and wanna see whats better. I know about HE-AAC , so just tell me which one has the best quality.
rajanbaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 8th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tech House

Send a message via AIM to Mike Louth Send a message via MSN to Mike Louth Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Louth

Depends on what you're using to listen with - arguably our 128k AAC is superior quality compared to either of those. Although 64k AAC-HE is still great.

"A forum post should be like a skirt; long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting."
Mike Louth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 12th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

128K AAC is all I use. Sounds great.
Unread Dec 23rd, 2011, 07:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Addict

I did not know about the 128k AAC until now, because there is not an icon for it below "listen now"! It is only in the drop-down menu... why is that? Can't you remove the 32k AAC icon and replace with 128k AAC?
Unread Dec 25th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
MikeMikeMikeM

Just curious, am thinking of upgrading to premium and wondering what's best to listen to show off the new bitrates.

At home I'm on a PC, using some Razer Carcharias gaming headphones and a decent-ish Xonar DX soundcard. On the free version I've been listening to 96K MP3. VLC/WinAmp will play anything, so is 128K AAC the best choice?

For mobile I'm on Android and I like the 40K AAC+ already. Should I just use 64K AAC+ for mobile?

Thanks!
Unread Dec 25th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
db
rotaredom

Send a message via ICQ to db Send a message via AIM to db

128k aac is good for regular pc listening.
64k aac+ or 128k aac on mobile (your phone connection would determine what speed to use)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMikeMikeM View Post
Just curious, am thinking of upgrading to premium and wondering what's best to listen to show off the new bitrates.

At home I'm on a PC, using some Razer Carcharias gaming headphones and a decent-ish Xonar DX soundcard. On the free version I've been listening to 96K MP3. VLC/WinAmp will play anything, so is 128K AAC the best choice?

For mobile I'm on Android and I like the 40K AAC+ already. Should I just use 64K AAC+ for mobile?

Thanks!
Unread Jan 6th, 2012, 03:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Qualified Forum Addict

128K AAC is the best soundquality/bandwidth ratio. AAC-LC is stated to give almost transparent audio at 128K and it is true. Sounds fantastic and streams without problems on my iPhone 4 using 3G cellular network.

The 64K HE-AAC sounds very good for the bitrate but when you discover what kind of sounds it has problems to encode you will always hear annoying artifacts because the psychoacoustic model can no longer fool your ears. I can today listen to a song and predict where I would hear artifacts. But if you have limited bandwidth 64K HE-AAC is the way to go!

256K MP3 sounds very slightly better than 128K AAC, it has wider soundstage and little bit more dynamic, With cheap computer speakers you will never hear any difference. You need high quality headphones. 256K MP3 using twice as much bandwidth than 128K AAC and sounds far away twice as good. I would not recommend 256K MP3 if your device/software can encode AAC, 256K MP3 just increase server operational costs and gives very little back.

So go with 128K AAC

Finally I must say di.fm seems to have very fine tuned encoders and highly optimized encoding software.
The di.fm 64K HE-AAC sounds much better than 96K HE-AAC provided by Swedish National Radio

I never feel alone when I listening di.fm because I know at the same moment a lot of people listening around the world

Chemtrails! Look up in the sky!

Last edited by AllanP : Jan 6th, 2012 at 04:04 AM.
AllanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 25th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Nuke420

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanP View Post
128K AAC is the best soundquality/bandwidth ratio. AAC-LC is stated to give almost transparent audio at 128K and it is true. Sounds fantastic and streams without problems on my iPhone 4 using 3G cellular network.

The 64K HE-AAC sounds very good for the bitrate but when you discover what kind of sounds it has problems to encode you will always hear annoying artifacts because the psychoacoustic model can no longer fool your ears. I can today listen to a song and predict where I would hear artifacts. But if you have limited bandwidth 64K HE-AAC is the way to go!

256K MP3 sounds very slightly better than 128K AAC, it has wider soundstage and little bit more dynamic, With cheap computer speakers you will never hear any difference. You need high quality headphones. 256K MP3 using twice as much bandwidth than 128K AAC and sounds far away twice as good. I would not recommend 256K MP3 if your device/software can encode AAC, 256K MP3 just increase server operational costs and gives very little back.

So go with 128K AAC

Finally I must say di.fm seems to have very fine tuned encoders and highly optimized encoding software.
The di.fm 64K HE-AAC sounds much better than 96K HE-AAC provided by Swedish National Radio
I gotta say you can do wonders with the current AAC+ codec (HE-AAC/or whatever you wanna call it) I run a shoutcast stream (for over 10 years now). I've gone through all the different codecs and setups for streaming. Finally 10+ years later I've achieved what I believe to be the perfect sound for streaming music. I have both a 128kb AAC, and 64kb AAC+ stream. Most people tell me they can't tell a difference, but there is a difference that if you have really good ear phones, or speakers you can hear, but you'd be surprised really how well it sounds. Also now @ 64Kb it uses full stereo. Only 48Kb and under use the Parametric Stereo (I think it's called). Also the way I've tweaked the sound is to come at a constant flat CD type volume, and quality. So you will never have to adjust that volume knob, and you'll never lose quality. Also it means if you like to tweak a EQ on your AMP, or in the software you listen to your music this will work fine with that. I prefer the music come as it was meant to me heard and the end user can adjust treble, mids, bass if they chose to. Either way it will sound good. It's also meant to sound as good as possible on the speakers, head phones, or tin cans you choose to listen to it from. So check it out. It's a great example of how good AAC is over MP3. I will never go back to old MP3.

Since I guess I can't post links yet I'll add * in where the :, and . go. So, make sure you replace those correctly when going to the site. Oh you can also just search google for "AvRack Radio".

http*//avrackradio*webs*com - AvRack Radio Webpage

It's got both the 128kb AAC (It sounds as good as the MAX MP3, or CD I've heard), and the 64kb AAC+ link right on the front page. You can also search your favorite Shoutcast APP for AvRack Radio, or AvRack Mobile. Add it as a favorite. If you like all kinds of good music, or just a major music fan in general you will love my station. You can play these in Winamp, iTunes, VLC, pretty much any modern player that supports a shoutcast/playlist.pls files.

http*//avrack*servemp3*com:8000 - 128
http*//avrack*servemp3*com:8010 - 64

Thanks
-n4-
Unread Nov 2nd, 2013, 12:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

I want them to bump up the AAC streams to 160k.