Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > Daily Life > The Chill Room > Movies and Television
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Feb 4th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #2321 (permalink)
Endless Blue
Forum Staff

The Hurt Locker - 4/10

Where's the story? I mean, seriously? Where? They basically just took a number of days/missions of an EOD team that, in real life, would probably be nerve wrecking, but in the movie there's very little emotion to it. That COULD have been ok-ish had there been a story to link those days together, or even just senseless rambo style hardcore action. But there is no story whatsoever, nor hardcore action. There's just these separate days and that's it. It seems like they've done some last minute attempts to weave a few tiny elements together, but that isn't more than a few shallow words and unimportant characters now and then. I'm guessing they were aiming for realism with there not being a greater story, however, like ominae said and the review he linked to said aswell, the entire movie is riddled with a total lack of realism, making the entire point of not having some greater story line for realism's sake absolutely pointless. There just is no story at all, nor anything to make up for it. The sole thing that i did like about this movie were the slow motion shots of the explosions...but if you want slow motion explosions you might as well watch mythbusters.

23-03-2002 - 06-04-2010 RIP Murciélago
Dustwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 5th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #2322 (permalink)
Cruising at 120BPM

Send a message via AIM to HudsonHawk Send a message via MSN to HudsonHawk

I think absence of a plot was kind of The Point. To the soldiers on the ground this war is just a cluster**** of unrelated events. Some just try to survive from day today, others find out who they really are and what they want from life and then you have people who cant live without it, normal world no longer makes sense. There may be inaccuracies, but this is a work of fiction, a movie.
Unread Feb 5th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #2323 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

I agree with HH,
There wasn't meant to be a driving storyline, there was no need for conflict resolution,
It was about a series of aimless events and characters trying to survive through a bad situation...
A fictional story about fictional characters.
excercyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 7th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #2324 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via ICQ to german103 Send a message via MSN to german103 Send a message via Skype™ to german103

Sherlock Holmes

7.5 Great movie.
german103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 7th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #2325 (permalink)
Endless Blue
Forum Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
I think absence of a plot was kind of The Point.
Yes, i know and that COULD have been a good thing. But there needs to be something to compensate for the lack of story like realism and proper acting, but there just isn't. With every detail of this movie being completely unrealistic and the lack of emotion due to so-so acting that point is completely lost. During the whole movie i was laughing at the fact that it is trying to be all grown up and serious while at the same time it is trying to be a mindless heroic action movie...those two don't mix!

Last edited by Dustwave : Feb 7th, 2010 at 10:11 AM.
Unread Feb 7th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #2326 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

^ It's partially the line he took with Watchmen, and I rented it on his word. Utter garbage. You owe me £3.50 HH you

Unread Feb 7th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #2327 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to ominae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustwave View Post
Yes, i know and that COULD have been a good thing. But there needs to be something to compensate for the lack of story like realism and proper acting, but there just isn't. With every detail of this movie being completely unrealistic and the lack of emotion due to so-so acting that point is completely lost. During the whole movie i was laughing at the fact that it is trying to be all grown up and serious while at the same time it is trying to be a mindless heroic action movie...those two don't mix!
What really got me was how unrealistic this movie was. I guess you'd have to be a guy who watches the history/military channel, reads a lot of military type books, or even be in the military to understand where I'm coming from. This guy puts it in better words.

http://www.vetvoice.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=2975
ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 7th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #2328 (permalink)
Cruising at 120BPM

Quote:
It wasn't trying to be a heroic movie at all though or mindless at that. I certainly did not get this vibe from it. One of the main points I feel the movie was trying to make is that soldiers who serve in Iraq now and are under all this pressure want to feel that all of this serves some greater good. That they are fighting an evil force and trying to preserve peace, but we're constantly reminded that this is not the case through the lack of plot, unrelated events or plot twists that go nowhere fast (the story with the boy and episode after the big explosion at night).
Unread Feb 7th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #2329 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via ICQ to german103 Send a message via MSN to german103 Send a message via Skype™ to german103

Taxi Driver

Just saw it, don't have a solid opinion after the first viewing but a great performance by De Niro.

8/10
Unread Feb 8th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #2330 (permalink)
Endless Blue
Forum Staff

Quote:
It wasn't trying to be a heroic movie at all
And that's the problem. It wasn't trying but it was anyway. The main character actually ran towards a burning car loaded with bombs with a frikkin fire extinguisher. And what about his suicidal attempt with the damn bolt cutters that didn't work? And what about all the orders he ignored to stay on top of a bomb he wants to defuse by himself? Heck, why does he defuse them at all instead of just blowing them up? I'm sorry but that is just too high up the retarded hollywood heroism scale.

Quote:
or mindless at that.
No and that too is the problem. It was neither serious nor mindless action. It was a mix of both and that just doesn't work.

Last edited by Dustwave : Feb 8th, 2010 at 07:30 AM.
Unread Feb 8th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #2331 (permalink)
Cruising at 120BPM

Quote:
And that's the problem. It wasn't trying but it was anyway. The main character actually ran towards a burning car loaded with bombs with a frikkin fire extinguisher. And what about his suicidal attempt with the damn bolt cutters that didn't work? And what about all the orders he ignored to stay on top of a bomb he wants to defuse by himself? Heck, why does he defuse them at all instead of just blowing them up? I'm sorry but that is just too high up the retarded hollywood heroism scale.

No and that too is the problem. It was neither serious nor mindless action. It was a mix of both and that just doesn't work.
Personally, I think he has a strong death-wish and rather then being heroic he just wanted to die right there. The fact that he ignored and put his squad in danger in the rest of the scene is a testament to that rather than heroism.
Unread Feb 9th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #2332 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Paranormal Activity 8.5/10

Scared me s*$tless. And it takes a lot to scare me with a movie. I just wish it had ended differently

*-Truth is still truth even if no one believes it. A lie is still a lie even if everyone believes it.-*

soundtrack of my life: Communicate-sasha and
digweed
faerie dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 9th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #2333 (permalink)
DI Addict, Sonic Fanatic

Last Sunday I saw:
There is no better way to see this movie. Period. This was actually my 3rd time seeing the movie. I loved the floating mountains and landscape is so cool!

10/10

The book of Eli
Not bad but could be better. Some things don't make a whole lot of sense but it does have good action.
7.5/10

Last edited by Trance88 : Feb 9th, 2010 at 08:56 AM.
Trance88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 10th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #2334 (permalink)
Endless Blue
Forum Staff

Quote:
Personally, I think he has a strong death-wish and rather then being heroic he just wanted to die right there. The fact that he ignored and put his squad in danger in the rest of the scene is a testament to that rather than heroism.
Let's agree to disagree...to each their own

Unread Feb 12th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #2335 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via MSN to i'mthechosen1 Send a message via Skype™ to i'mthechosen1

The Crush (1993)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106627/

I downloaded this movie just because of Alicia Silverstone. And holly shit! I came buckets!

Unread Feb 12th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #2336 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Spy Next Door.

Stopped watching in a middle, way too naive. 5/10
Unread Feb 16th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #2337 (permalink)
Cruising at 120BPM

Hangover and Zombieland 7/10 for both.
Both movies are equally cliche and entertaining. If you want to lay back, relax and waste an hour either one will do.
Unread Feb 18th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #2338 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

Zombieland - 8/10 I really liked the movie and it was full of quotes ready for frat boy consumption (Bill F'ing Murray! DOUBLE TAP!) The ending was a bit cliched but I'm glad they threw out the "everyone dies but two characters" rule from other horror movies.

Law Abiding Citizen - 6/10 Holy effing wow! This movie was insane! I thought it was going to 2/10 horrible law & order movie but it isn't. I'm not going to spoil it, but the movie is craaaazzzzyyyy. I only gave it a 6/10 because it was too outlandish, although still really fun.

www.twitter.com/sal_o_mon
salomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 22nd, 2010, 08:59 PM   #2339 (permalink)
Endless Blue
Forum Staff

The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day 9/10

Hell yeah! Let me start by saying that before watching this i was worried that it could not live up to the original, and that it would just be another sad excuse to make some more money of the status of the original. But after the first minute i was totally totally hyped up again. Such an awesome powerful start! After 15 minutes or so i was getting a little worried that they were trying too hard to recreate the original, although they were doing very well. After about half an hour when i got used to the new characters everything just fell into place and it turned out to be absolutely magnificent! Had they used other actors this would have been nothing but a cheap rip-off. But since they used the original actors, had the same sense of kick ass action and managed to capture the same overall feel and style of the original, it worked out perfectly. Although at first it felt like Julie Benz's character was a cheap rip-off of William Dafoe's character in the original, throughout the movie her character really grew on me and once a certain element was explained it no longer felt like a rip-off of Dafoe's character anymore but rather as a worthy extension of it and just made total sense.

One hell of a movie...and right at the end, when i was a little disappointed about a certain aspect from the original not returning (which i won't explain as to not spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet), bam, there it is, instantly multiplying the excitement as well as creating a possibility for a third part which i really do hope they will make. A very very very worthy sequel. Almost as good as the original.

Last edited by Dustwave : Feb 22nd, 2010 at 09:18 PM.
Unread Feb 28th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #2340 (permalink)
Junior Addict

I give it 9/10.
moviefan is offline   Reply With Quote