Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > Daily Life > News and Current Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jun 24th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

Default :O HELP! It's School Committee Election Time!

(Wasn't entirely sure where to put this but I thought this would do.)

Right it's election time in my Sixth Form, (last 2 years of UK schooling, it's non-compulsory but necessary for university entry), and I'm running in the election to become a member of the Sixth Form Committee. There are 7 places available and I want one!!! ( I'm not power mad I promise )

Here's a bit of info on what the committee does before I go on to talk about the kind of ideas I'd like to hear from you guys. The committee is set up to organise charity and social events in the Sixth Form and bring attention to issues raised by students so that Senior Management Team can umm and ahhh and basically change nothing for us. Useless I know but I'd like to have the badge anyway. We all love a good shiny badge .

To begin with I have to submit a 60 word statement as to why I should be elected and a litte pic of me so people know which loony they're reading about. You guys don't have to worry about the pic but I need help writing the 60 word statement. I'm particularly stuck on the opening line because it's vital that it's possibly humorous and catchy so that people actually read the rest of my statement instead of just move on to the next person. I don't care how nuts it is but if you guys could come up with some great opening lines then that'd be great Also ideas on the kind of things I could include in the rest of my statement would be much appeciated.

I also have to design an election poster that I can liberally plaster across every blank bit of wall in the Sixth Form and I'm a bit thin on ideas for that too so if anyone's got some good ideas on wording or picture ideas then that'd be fantastic.

Any other ideas for the campaign would be much appreciated... at the moment I don't think we have to give a speech or anything like that and any ideas of offering to change the homework schedule so there's no homework or promising trips to Disneyland aren't plausible ideas because the committee doesn't have that power. Also the year head said that any bribery, blackmail, coercion and other forms of underhanded backstabbingness are not allowed and while I could use some of them (like ripping down an opposition poster here or there) and could probably get away with I'd rather stick to the rules seeing as I'd quite like to stay in the election. Thanks all!

Election campaign ideas is now a go go!

I'm making a return!
The Sacred Voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 25th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

They wont be looking for wit or individuality im sorry to say. Stability and trustworthiness will be desireable attributes in this case. You should be under no illusion that this student committee is nothing more than a scapegoat plan for when parents or students question the school's interest in their needs, and a concept that will look good to ofsted. And youre probably aware that a student committee will have practically no impact on decisions made by staff. Thats the case in my school anyway.
On the plus side, a seat on the committee will look (quite) good on a CV, so you might as well go for it.

I cant think of any specifics, but an anecdote is good way to start your statement. That way, the first sentace will be launching into a little story, and people will be intrigued to see what happens and how it is relevant to the point youre about to make. They'll just naturally read on.
People who use anecdotes in converstation are also seen as more interesting and articulate people, as it hints at experience and an ability to draw value from these experiences.
Unread Jun 25th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirst
You should be under no illusion that this student committee is nothing more than a scapegoat plan for when parents or students question the school's interest in their needs, and a concept that will look good to ofsted. And youre probably aware that a student committee will have practically no impact on decisions made by staff. Thats the case in my school anyway.
On the plus side, a seat on the committee will look (quite) good on a CV, so you might as well go for it.
trust me I am fully aware of the uselessness of school councils I've sat on more than one and changed absolutely nothing I even resorted to sticking posters up all over the school to get the school to change it's mind... didn't work surprise surprise
I am just doing this basically for the CV / UCAS application form

I'm making a return!
The Sacred Voice is offline   Reply With Quote