Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > Daily Life > Personal Life and Relationships
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread May 31st, 2012, 03:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Thumbs up How to Work With a Long Distance Relationship

In a long distance relationship what is lacking is the constant intimacy or physical contact - holding hands, hugs and kisses and so much more. However, you might be surprised that how it will grow when you find some other ways to be passionate and romantic in some other ways like writing a letter or email.
Writing letters or texting is a way to move your heart, your thoughts and your dreams with your partner. This simple way of connecting is the backbone of any relationship specially when there is a great distance between couples. Simple, but, romantically effective.
noblewomancom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 5th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

i want to agree..but not at the same time. I have done the same, finding different ways to make it work but then once there's someone else local who can give me the holding hands/hugs/kisses... i got weak and start to gain more interest in the girl who is local. (this is just my opinion or maybe my LD relationship wasnt strong enough yet at that time when some1 local came along)

https://soundcloud.com/fornever
fornever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 6th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Addict in Training

My boyfriend and I had a long distance relationship and I was happy but I wanted more intimacy and to be more involved in each others iives rather than just a phone call or talking online. Im happy to say I moved to his, and feel much more happy and secure. I can see how he reacts to things rather then listening down a phone,and instead of telling each other about our day, we are together.we can do couply things like watching a movie in bed together or going out for dinner which is impossible in a long distance relationship. I guess long distance is ok but there isnt enough togetherness.
Roxy_Cottontail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 7th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Go see each other and every month or however much possible, it helps a lot.
DeviantCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 7th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Addict

My opinion is that they just don't work. No amount of texting/phonecalls can be enough to fill the empty space that long distance relationships leave.

Please, by all means prove me wrong, but i tried and failed in that field some years ago. She lost interest.

Still, im now in a 'normal' relationship (not the same girl) and i couldn't be happier
Ale>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jul 3rd, 2012, 01:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Well, I'm in a such kind of relationship now. And even texting and talking on skype etc. doesn't help. So, if you decide to have a long distance relationship you must be ready to have a lot of difficulties. I still believe that it will worth it when finally we will get together with my beloved man.
Snezhnaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jul 3rd, 2012, 03:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Addict

LDR require at the end somewhat of an agreement what the future will be in the end. I am currently in the process of a heartbreaking break up. For over a year and a half...I've heard I'm his wife, he wants me to move to Germany, ect....After his recent visit in Chicago and we went to EDC in Las Vegas. I was informed he is too young to marry and would like to continue a LDR for the next 5 years. This is CRAZY!!! Please do not let anyone fool you or waste your time. It's better to know now then in the end....
Gigi192001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jul 3rd, 2012, 05:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Ultimately, maintaining a successful long distance relationship will take hard work, understanding, trust, patience, and honesty. Plan to meet each other.
constanceschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jul 12th, 2012, 06:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Addict

I tried, it didn't work. I tried to get talking more and most stuff explained above but she preferred the Xbox. Whever I suggested meeting at any time "Doubt that would happen." If she wants to put it that bluntly why bother? In the end I had enough and broke it off.

However, I do know a fair few people where it has worked and continues to. So dont let it get ya!
MurphyFlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Nov 25th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Addict

If both parties have previously had generous dating experience (part of getting to know self better and what's really important to them), and then see something special in their partner they don't want to let go, the relationship will work out. If it doesn't work out, it wasn't meant to be. Everything happens for a reason.
pauljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 4th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Addict in Training

I think that love is to share moments
kriscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 25th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Addict

You can definitely make it work if you both are realistic about what you're getting in to and what you want out of it. However if one person isn't all about it, unfortunately won't last. Good luck!
dshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 28th, 2013, 03:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblewomancom
In a long distance relationship what is lacking is the constant intimacy or physical contact - holding hands, hugs and kisses and so much more. However, you might be surprised that how it will grow when you find some other ways to be passionate and romantic in some other ways like writing a letter or email.
Writing letters or texting is a way to move your heart, your thoughts and your dreams with your partner. This simple way of connecting is the backbone of any relationship specially when there is a great distance between couples. Simple, but, romantically effective.
Yeah, writing letters may have been effective 15-20 yrs ago. Now, I do not see that as possible. I've tried the whole long distance relationship thing, I was in it, she was not. Now-a-days there is no patience in ppl. Most ppl would most prefer what is right in front of them rather than improvise on how to make a matter work for them even when the rest of world thinks the opposite of their outcome.

Posted from Di.fm App for Android
MPsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 28th, 2013, 03:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriscore
I think that love is to share moments
Meaning?

Unread Mar 28th, 2013, 04:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPsays View Post
Yeah, writing letters may have been effective 15-20 yrs ago. Now, I do not see that as possible. I've tried the whole long distance relationship thing, I was in it, she was not. Now-a-days there is no patience in ppl. Most ppl would most prefer what is right in front of them rather than improvise on how to make a matter work for them even when the rest of world thinks the opposite of their outcome.

I can totally Dig this!!! When I was in the Navy (1980-1984), letter writing with perfume or cologne sprayed on it was a way of keeping some sort of intimacy! If you sent a picture with it, that made you feel even better! I remember sending letters every week, then bi-weekly, then once a month, until eventually they stopped all together.

I was overseas doing my thing, and she was here in The States doing her's! Not saying that a long distance relationship couldn't work, but, why wait for tomorrow what you can have today!!!
kballenger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 28th, 2013, 07:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballenger53
Quote:

Originally Posted by MPsays

I can totally Dig this!!! When I was in the Navy (1980-1984), letter writing with perfume or cologne sprayed on it was a way of keeping some sort of intimacy! If you sent a picture with it, that made you feel even better! I remember sending letters every week, then bi-weekly, then once a month, until eventually they stopped all together.

I was overseas doing my thing, and she was here in The States doing her's! Not saying that a long distance relationship couldn't work, but, why wait for tomorrow what you can have today!!!
I hear that. I mean I was never in the military but a friend of mine was. He was only away for a year (03-04) and his relationship with his girl in the States went sour as well. Too much to think about. Especially since now it seems as though we are living in the era where cheating is as common as eating takeout. LoL! Smh...

Unread May 31st, 2013, 06:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

Send a message via MSN to Cibo

Hmm, I think me and bf have it a bit easier since we had already lived together for 4 years before the whole long distance thing so we had already made a life together for ourselves. Long story short, I went to university in another city and for various reasons he couldn't move with me. We decided to keep our home where he lives and I live in a dog house-like student apartment for the semesters. I get to come home at vacations. We've managed for 2 years now, still 1,5 years to go.

I think it's easier for him. He gets to live in our home and even though I'm not there for the most of the year I am still present in things like furniture and decoration choices, the wool socks I made him, food in the freezer that I also made, my stuff lying around the apartment etc. I on the other hand have nothing but his toothbrush in my student apartment. He has a full time job and he can't spend much time in my place so there's not even shaving equipment for him in there.

We don't call each other that much. We're both hanging around in IRC, though we might not even have any conversations for days. But we do have a habit of wishing good night to each other every day, without exception.

I don't know. We manage. I'm currently back home for summer vacation and we're going to enjoy every moment of it before fall semester starts.
Unread Jul 20th, 2013, 05:57 AM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Thanks for sharing.
Ridley333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jul 21st, 2013, 06:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Too much to think about. Especially since now it seems as though we are living in the era where cheating is as common as eating takeout. LoL! Smh.
haileywilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Aug 11th, 2013, 03:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
DI Addict, Sonic Fanatic

I think it's OK for relationships to start long distance, but eventually if they both believe they feel love for each other, they will have to meet in person to see if the relationship is as solid as it seems.

Last edited by Trance88 : Aug 11th, 2013 at 04:01 AM.
Trance88 is offline   Reply With Quote