Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > Daily Life > Personal Life and Relationships
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Sep 9th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

Send a message via MSN to Mystify Send a message via Skype™ to Mystify
Default Your opinion of...Life?

I've been reading several threads on this forum about relationships, love and dating. I'm not quite 100% sure about my opinion on the matter, I'm currently single and s'ppose I really don't much care about finding a partner. I've almost entirely devoted my life to Trance music and simply having a great time in general. Some may say that is incredibly ignorant of me, because I am avoiding my responsibilities as a human being, by merely not caring about much else that happens in the everyday world outside of music. Some may also say that hiding inside of music is just a false way of comforting myself, but then, what isn't a false comfort? Love, hate, fear, euphoria, those are all emotions which exist merely to keep humans occupied, do they serve any actual purpose? No. Euphoria would however be the most logical emotion to seek. Why do human beings exist? Why does anything exist? Are we on this planet to serve any purpose at all? Religion is something else I would class as a false comfort, people devote their entire lives to a faith that has never, and probably will never, be proven to exist. I've often spent hours sitting in a room doing nothing but think over any possibility of a reason for existence and I'm sure at least 50% of you have too. I've got an open mind and would like to hear other people's views on the issue. So, post away!
Unread Sep 9th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Life has no purpose. LOL religion XD BTW Mystify you've just gone up in my "Thinks about... stuff... good" ranking laddery measurement thingy
Unread Sep 9th, 2006, 07:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via ICQ to d A n i Send a message via AIM to d A n i Send a message via MSN to d A n i Send a message via Yahoo to d A n i Send a message via Skype™ to d A n i

bro your 15 .. screw love .. live your life .. being a fellow 15 year old (:P im older than you) i know how it is to feel unloved .. if you've read my thread you'll know what im taknig about .. though it is possible to find true love at this age you shouldnt go looking for it .. as for the religion thing i know exactly what you mean .. i think religion is created to brainwash people and also to rid people of their fear of death .. but oh well .. with nieve people in this world there ist much you could do ..
Unread Sep 9th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Endless Blue
Forum Staff

i don't think there's a purpose for life

i think any life form is just the result of a moment at which the situation was right for lifeless material to turn into something living. and overtime it grew out to something aware of it's surroundings, and all we do now is make sure we stay alive and have fun.

as for religion, i think it is no more than something made up by people as a shoulder to cry on in hard times.

as for emotions, i think they DO serve a purpose. i'd say they are there to protect you. fear is to keep you safe, you'r afraid dangerous things. you love people and people love you to watch after eachother, again to keep yourself safe (you keep them safe, they keep you safe). hate...you hate things and people who try to harm you in whatever way, so again you are trying to protect yourself...etc etc

23-03-2002 - 06-04-2010 RIP Murciélago
Dustwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 9th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Don't worry about life at your age lol. When you're fifteen, you're lucky enough to have a hobby like DJing or music, instead of running wild and trying to figure out what the hell to do with yourself. When you're fifteen you're lucky enough to reason the way you do. There is a purpose in life and it is what you make of it. You'll find out as you get older.
- I float away...
- You are my guide, You are my light, You take me to a place where i can shine
DJ_Serg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 9th, 2006, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cruising at 120BPM

Send a message via AIM to HudsonHawk Send a message via MSN to HudsonHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystify
because I am avoiding my responsibilities as a human being.
What responsibilities do you have at this age? Lets be realistic... right now society doesn't ask much of you except maybe to do well in school and enjoy being young. As you get older your responsibilities will grow and you will find that you cant devote yourself to music completely.

As for my opinion of life? If you don't feel like dying - life's good.
Unread Sep 9th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustwave
i don't think there's a purpose for life

all we do now is make sure we stay alive and have fun.
You just contradicted yourself Dustwave

The purpose of life is to stay alive and experience it. In short, to LIVE. Anything else will just distract one from this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystify
Love, hate, fear, euphoria, those are all emotions which exist merely to keep humans occupied, do they serve any actual purpose?
Mystify, you just uncovered the purpose right here without even realizing it. These are the elements that make up the experience of life.

You are also being hypocritical in that you have denied religion while you yourself have devoted your life to the religion of trance Everyone has something they are religious about, to shun someone because the thing they love is unprovable is irrelevant. To them it means a lot, just as trance means so much to you. You can't prove what trance means to someone who doesn't understand any more than they can prove what God means to someone who doesn't understand.

Also, don't feel guilty about not feeling the need to be in a relationship. Your mind is occupied with other things right now which are more important to you. But again, do not lose respect for those who have found love, because you yourself may one day find your priorities have changed and something/one else has become more important to you than your love of music or even your love of life itself. It could happen, and don't be surprised if it does!
Unread Sep 9th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Endless Blue
Forum Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugue
You just contradicted yourself Dustwave
No i didn't, In my opiniong that isn't the purpose of life, that is just what we do because there is nothing bigger we should do.

A purpose would be to maintain (or mess up) the planet, or other godlike greatness...but i don't think there is a purpose at all.

Last edited by Dustwave : Sep 9th, 2006 at 01:14 PM.
Unread Sep 9th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:
obviously i meant no greater purpose or something
What is greater than being alive? Life is precious, I can't think of any greater purpose than to live it. It's the greatest purpose there is.
Unread Sep 9th, 2006, 01:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Endless Blue
Forum Staff

Quote:
I can't think of any greater purpose than to live it.
If there is a purpose for life, then someone or something must have created us for that purpose. But you just said there's nothing bigger (and i agree with that).

Get my drift?

Nobody/nothing created us solely so we could have fun. We just started to exist because some rocks started to breath, not because of some purpose we should fullfill, but because of plain ordinary coincidence, certain factors being just right at the right time. We as humans now try to have as much fun as possible because there's nothing better to do, but i don't think that can be called a purpose.

Last edited by Dustwave : Sep 9th, 2006 at 01:26 PM.
Unread Sep 9th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:

Nobody/nothing created us solely so we could have fun ... We as humans now try to have as much fun as possible because there's nothing better to do, but i don't think that can be called a purpose.
I guess that's where we disagree because I think that's exactly why the universe was created, just to be like a big playground. I do believe that it was done on purpose, but that's just me and my faith. It sounds more interesting and meaningful and reasonable to me than just a bunch of rocks beginning to breathe. That's kind of a slight on life. It's what makes a lot of people depressed all the time when they think there's no real reason why we're here.

Last edited by fugue : Sep 9th, 2006 at 02:16 PM.
fugue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 9th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Endless Blue
Forum Staff

Quote:
I guess that's where we disagree because I think that's exactly why the universe was created, just to be like a big playground.
But what created the universe then? Must be something "bigger" than us humans...

Unread Sep 9th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Quote:
But what created the universe then? Must be something "bigger" than us humans...
Really it is, some beyond our understanding and comprehension, this is one of the best gift that nature give us...

The human brain some day will understand it, but I will be looking it six feets under...

"To be a star you must shine your own light, follow your own path and not be afraid of the darkness, for that is when stars shine brightest."
acuario51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 9th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

heh..if uiverse is everything, how can something part of "everything" create the universe? If the so called "Big bang" created space, then how does it make sense? If universe is everywhere and everything, where did it come from? Does that mean there is something beyond the univese? Perhaps something that was there prior to our universe. Am i off topic now? I think i am
- I float away...
Unread Sep 9th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Endless Blue
Forum Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by acuario51
Really it is, some beyond our understanding and comprehension, this is one of the best gift that nature give us...
Says who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Serg
heh..if uiverse is everything, how can something part of "everything" create the universe? If the so called "Big bang" created space, then how does it make sense? If universe is everywhere and everything, where did it come from? Does that mean there is something beyond the univese? Perhaps something that was there prior to our universe. Am i off topic now? I think i am
perhaps offtopic, but i do think you have a good point there. Something i'v thought of many times as well. Not so much that the big bang created it all, rather how all the matter got to that point in the first place. What i get of it is that the big bang just scattered it all over the place, not actually created it all. So there must have been something before that time. Question is wether it really was just all hanging around or was there really some greater being... In my opinion it was all just hanging around being pretty, without greater being.

ah well...i guess it's pretty pointless to defend opinions as it's very unlikely we'll know the answer within the next couple thousand years...

Last edited by Dustwave : Sep 9th, 2006 at 07:23 PM.
Unread Sep 9th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:
What i get of it is that the big bang just scattered it all over the place, not actually created it all. So there must have been something before that time.
Yeah that's what I think too. Everything has always existed, it just used to be crunched into a singularity. The word "before" is not exactly correct though, because time itself did not exist until the big bang. So the universe didn't really exist "before" the big bang, because there is no such thing. However, the universe HAS existed for all time.
Unread Sep 9th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

Send a message via MSN to Mystify Send a message via Skype™ to Mystify

Quote:
Not at all, because in a sense you just uncovered my point

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm enjoying reading intelligent comments for a change
Unread Sep 10th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Endless Blue
Forum Staff

Quote:
time itself did not exist until the big bang.
How do you see that? I'm not sure this is what you mean, but do you see that as, there was no time before the big bang because our definition of time uses it as some measure, so there can't be anything before that? In that case, i think the definition of time is just wrong and there actually was time before the big bang, just like gazilion other definitions of all kinds of things, like the recent planet thing, and how about our ever decreasing kilogram? It's getting lighter as we speak because someone decided that the definition of a kilo is the weight of some specific piece of metal in france...i guess he forgot that metal evaporates over time (takes really long, but it does).

Unread Sep 10th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

how can time not exist? Wouldn't everything be motionless? If so, then how did the big bang take place at all, in a motionless universe that is? On the other hand, would there exist anything without time?
- I float away...
Unread Sep 10th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:
how can time not exist? Wouldn't everything be motionless? If so, then how did the big bang take place at all, in a motionless universe that is?
It is definitely possible for time to be sped up or slowed down, this has been tested several times in different experiments. It's part of Einstein's theory of relativity. Basically the speed of light was found to be constant in all reference frames so if you were to chase a beam of light at 90% the speed of light, it would not be moving away from you at only 10% the speed of light, rather it would still be moving away from you at 100% the speed of light, regardless of how fast you tried to chase it. This led to the unexpected result of time dilation which means that time proceeds at different rates for different observers depening on their motion relative to eachother. Not only does time change, but so does their perceived length and mass. The mass part comes from his famous equation E=mc^2 which implies that energy and mass are interchangeable, and that the more energy you give to a spaceship to try and chase that beam of light, the more of it will be converted into mass rather than useful energy. That's why mass increases the faster you go.

Mass and gravity are also related (I don't understand this as well) because more mass creates a stronger force of gravity, and I also know that you can dilate time with gravitational fields. So if you consider that at the time of the Big Bang everything was crunched into a very small length with extremely high mass and gravity, it should be understandable that time basically slowed down to nothing. The rest of your questions, DJ_Serg, are very pertinent and still unsolved. How did the Big Bang take place when time didn't exist? No one knows.

Quote:
How do you see that? I'm not sure this is what you mean, but do you see that as, there was no time before the big bang because our definition of time uses it as some measure, so there can't be anything before that? In that case, i think the definition of time is just wrong and there actually was time before the big bang, just like gazilion other definitions of all kinds of things, like the recent planet thing, and how about our ever decreasing kilogram? It's getting lighter as we speak because someone decided that the definition of a kilo is the weight of some specific piece of metal in france...i guess he forgot that metal evaporates over time (takes really long, but it does).
I see it as, when the Big Bang occured, the universe exploded in 4 dimensions: three space and one time. There are other spatial dimensions, and temporal too I believe, in which the universe did not explode. It is possible that time existed before the Big Bang, but even so all the information from that time I believe was lost at the point of the Big Bang. The universe was compacted into such a small point that all the relationships between matter and energy became so drastic that all the informational content was wiped out and there is no way to tell precisely what existed before then.