Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > Daily Life > Rants, Raves and Gripes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Sep 30th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Default irc.di.fm related rant

I've decided to post it in here as there's no actual section it appears for any chat room related issues, sorry in advance

Now then, it appears that one of the operators on di radio's irc network has a problem, an unprovoked problem.

That person is Kel, about a month ago he dropped my nick registration apparenly because of a comment I made in a users channel, but what i said is no different to what alot of people say yet they seem to get away with it.

And then within the last 2 days, he not only decides to drop my nick registration but to drop my channel registration aswell (#the_asylum).

Now in my book, that is not the way an operator should act - to proceed to biasly behave in a completely unprovoked way that his 100% out of order.

I have never done anything to him, not knowingly - and if I have I'd expect him to attempt to sort it out properly - and not hide behind his powers.

(EDIT: daft forum lol, can't edit topic title - blatant typo :$ )

Last edited by GazCT : Sep 30th, 2006 at 03:38 PM.
GazCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 30th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Addict

Kel is basically a very mean person. Even a good spanking won't set him straight. He stabbed me once without the slightest provocation and I have personally witnessed him slapping nutjob about the face with a large trout. He has no morals and from what I have observed can be violent when cornered. Unconfirmed reports are floating about teh internets that he is grifting his way around the continental united states in a large beat up old convertible and was last sighted hiding from a large mob of angry irc users in a small town somewhere in the great lakes. Or next to them at least. Give it up GazCT sometimes you just gotta know when you've been beaten
Wootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 30th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

And you expect us to do what about this?

Either take your complaint directly to the person, or to those that are above them, if you take it to those of the same status as you, you are only complaining.
Ambiguity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator

Taken from the notices received when you join irc.di.fm.
Please address all complaints about opers to james@-NOSPAM-byteirc.net. -- Be sure to remove the '-NOSPAM-' from that email before sending any mail.

And since you haven't said exactly what events led up to this, I can't help any more than this.
I'm sure you've read the chat rules, just to be sure that you didn't actually do something you weren't meant to.
Please be sure to read the RULES: www.di.fm/chat/rules
rh1n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 6th, 2006, 05:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh1n0
And since you haven't said exactly what events led up to this, I can't help any more than this.
That's because nothing has led to what to the way he is treating me, other than what I mentioned: A throwaway comment in Eight's channel to somebody who was being an ass in #hardcore.

And to the person who wondered what people on this forum were going to do about it and therefore why I posted about it in here - I posted in here because I was instructed to by another user of the chatrooms, because he wanted to ensure people were aware of what Kel is doing (unprovoked) to save it happening to anybody else.
Unread Oct 6th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

If you have chat logs saved it may allow the rest of us to understand that this was no way a provoked attack until then its a he says shes says bs
Unread Oct 6th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pb
IRC Crew

First, the disclaimer: irc.di.fm contains more channels than just the official DI chat rooms. I don't have logs for those, and so I can't verify what you said.

That aside, there are several things I wish to point out:

1. Channels and nicks are dropped automatically if they are not used for 30 days.

2. Kel is an IRCop, ie, he is responsible for the irc.di.fm server. The irc server houses various channels. IRCops don't meddle with channel politics, and channel ops don't have any say over the server. IRCops come into play when there's a server violation. If you have a quarrel with Kel over another channel, the #diradio and #hardcore ops can't help you. James Reno can.

3. If it happened in #diradio or #hardcore, as rh1n0 said, we are only supplied your interpretation of the events. A "throwaway comment" to you might have deeply offended someone else. Tell us the exact timestamp so we can check our logs.
Pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 11th, 2006, 01:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Kel
IRC Crew

Send a message via AIM to Kel Send a message via MSN to Kel Send a message via Skype™ to Kel

I never dropped your registration. Anyone stating I did is basically blowing hot air at ya. Sorry.

As I told you, one of my nicks which was not set "noexpire" was also dropped and one of a friend.

Am I going to go dropping my own nicks for fun? Probably not.

Edit/PS: The problem was not that our nicks were dropped, the password seemed to have been forgotten. My best guess is a cold powerdown of the system caused a couple of entries in the NickServ/ChanServ DBs to be distorted. Since we're a small network, it's hard for me to find out from more people if they were affected to confirm this.

Last edited by Kel : Oct 11th, 2006 at 01:53 AM.
Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 11th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Kel
IRC Crew

Send a message via AIM to Kel Send a message via MSN to Kel Send a message via Skype™ to Kel

Also, to my best recolection, I can't even remember being in "the asylum", much less dropping it.

(And as a matter of fact, my "best recolection" seems to be spot on, as that channel name appears no where in my logs, either mentioned (grep) or as a file (channel log).)

If you'd like me to drop it so you can see what that's like, I'd be more than happy to at this point, but something tells me you'd go and complain on some forum meant for Honda's since I own one and expect them to chop it or something.

And for my last hoorah, good sir, I'd like to point out that if what you stated above were true, after all of the complaints I've personally recieved about you, and ones via proxy through my other operators and liasons in various chatrooms, I'd like to say you got off easy. Please keep in mind your -own- occasional lack of civility before commenting on that of others.

-NickServ- GazCT Last seen time: Sep 28 17:39:39 2006 EDT
-NickServ- GazCT Last quit message: Connection reset by peer

'least we know you're not going to say -I- disconnected you... two days before your initial complaint.

Last edited by Kel : Oct 11th, 2006 at 02:02 AM.
Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 11th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Default LOL

This Kiddddddddd is PisssssssssT!
Mike Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 11th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Control
This Kiddddddddd is PisssssssssT!
Thanks for the play by play. I thought he was extatic.
Ambiguity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 13th, 2006, 04:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel
Also, to my best recolection, I can't even remember being in "the asylum", much less dropping it.

(And as a matter of fact, my "best recolection" seems to be spot on, as that channel name appears no where in my logs, either mentioned (grep) or as a file (channel log).)

If you'd like me to drop it so you can see what that's like, I'd be more than happy to at this point, but something tells me you'd go and complain on some forum meant for Honda's since I own one and expect them to chop it or something.

And for my last hoorah, good sir, I'd like to point out that if what you stated above were true, after all of the complaints I've personally recieved about you, and ones via proxy through my other operators and liasons in various chatrooms, I'd like to say you got off easy. Please keep in mind your -own- occasional lack of civility before commenting on that of others.

-NickServ- GazCT Last seen time: Sep 28 17:39:39 2006 EDT
-NickServ- GazCT Last quit message: Connection reset by peer

'least we know you're not going to say -I- disconnected you... two days before your initial complaint.
Apologies for the nick drop thing, I later found out there was a problem that night with Nickserv, the first time is another story which is best left forgetting about now.

Also apologies for the_asylum thing - I do not know whether you dropped it or not, it was just an assumption I made after being to told a few things by a channel op - and I have no reason not to believe what he/she told me, it is rather annoying though, knowing it's gone and having no reason for it. :S

As for complaints or lack of 'civility' - LOL, I can only think of one occasion when when I was being less than civil - without justification, and if you recieved any complaints about that, it doesn't surprise me - the majority in #diradio does not have much of a sense of humour anyway.

Anyhow - I don't get much chance to use irc at the moment or for the forseeable future, so the complaint is best to be forgotten about, at the time it was relevent - now it's a different story.
Unread Oct 13th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Actually!

#the_asylum is back somehow, at the time I made the original post it appeared as if the channel had been been dropped.

All is well
Unread Oct 14th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Kel
IRC Crew

:-P You thilly.