Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > Daily Life > Other Passions > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Oct 17th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #101 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
Forum Staff

I personally think it is less that we are evolving and more of what we have put into ourselves. More like a gradual mutation rather than evolution. Random example... look at how much estrogen is put in stuff now, and the rising amount of manboobs, and females developing early. Ok, quirky example, but that doesn't make it less true. Basically, there are tons of technological items that cause issues with society as a whole or individually, and that definitely includes what we consume, or even what we are injected with to fend off diseases.

To look at Bubble Wraps previous comment before this post, think of all the 'advancements' made in the 20th century. Medical, genetically modified foods, etc. Of course, not all of it is for the worse either. It's easy to lump it together as all bad, but it's really not. Only a portion of it is bad. But I think there is a direct relation between what we came across in the 20th century, and in the increase of height, life expectancy and so on. But there is also a tie in to the things that are not so good as well.

As for the God topic, well, to each their own. To know the truth is to not be able to actually share it when it comes to that high level of a topic. To have a belief is much easier to spread around. Though for those who believe in the Bible, I give you this one line: God made me in his image. Ok, then why am I affected by genetic lineage so much? Is he/she lactose intolerant? Asthmatic? Impacted by previous unexpected results of technological advancements by way of bloodline? Ah, now I feel like Loki from Dogma in a sense.

Last edited by Firebug : Oct 17th, 2009 at 11:51 AM.
Firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 17th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #102 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble Wrap View Post
but we already are seeing evolutionary trends in our sepcies even in recent terms. In WWII the average height of the american was like 5 4" and nowadays average people are taller than they were 50 or 60 years ago. To say were not going to evolve at all even though random mutations happen all the time is completly retarded.

So what if religion brings comfort into some peoples lifes. Just because someone beleives in god doesnt mean they think the earth is flat and hate gay people and blow sh1t up. Honestly, I have no clue whats going on out there, so what makes you know.
So we're going to become giant's or something? I find that hard to believe but maybe that's just me.

For religion, I do not know what is out there. I can not convince myself and i cannot be convinced there is a god. Unless he/she/it or whatever the hell it shall be shows itself and lets me know there is one. If you want to believe there's one, go for it. whatever floats your boat.

Doesn't it say in the bible that "One man shall not lay with another man as man shall lay with a woman"?(that was for the hate gay people thing.) It just all seems so far fetched to me, sort of like an extremely dragged out movie.

Things change, species change, doesn't mean we're going to turn into something out of a movie or out of your imagination or anyone's imagination. I Agree with what firebug has said about the more we put into ourselves thing. Today there is so many drugs or add-ons or whatever it is you may call them in our food, water, air. I think it'll kill us and we wont adapt to it.

I may be wrong and you may be wrong, or maybe we're both right in some sort of a way.
ThaPsycko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 18th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #103 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaPsycko View Post
So we're going to become giant's or something? I find that hard to believe but maybe that's just me.

For religion, I do not know what is out there. I can not convince myself and i cannot be convinced there is a god. Unless he/she/it or whatever the hell it shall be shows itself and lets me know there is one. If you want to believe there's one, go for it. whatever floats your boat.

Doesn't it say in the bible that "One man shall not lay with another man as man shall lay with a woman"?(that was for the hate gay people thing.) It just all seems so far fetched to me, sort of like an extremely dragged out movie.

Things change, species change, doesn't mean we're going to turn into something out of a movie or out of your imagination or anyone's imagination. I Agree with what firebug has said about the more we put into ourselves thing. Today there is so many drugs or add-ons or whatever it is you may call them in our food, water, air. I think it'll kill us and we wont adapt to it.

I may be wrong and you may be wrong, or maybe we're both right in some sort of a way.
no not giants,
something far beyond anything we can possibly comprehend

for god, I don't think were suposed to know, not in the realm of its a sin but that life would essentially become pointless or very bland
its that uncertainty that allows for our existences to be interesting, dynamic, and meaningful. And some people would not like to take in this fact and this still aplies to life whether or not their is a god, suffering is an essential part of the human expereince (aluding to the argument of if there is a god why is there suffering). Does a weekend mean anything if there is no stressful school or job to get away from, would we ever find love if we were not motivated by soul crushing loneliness, would being a billionare be fun if everyone else was a billionaire. It is the lows in life that alow us to truly appreciate the highs in life, lifes pitfalls often inspire us to climb higher peaks.
If nothing bad ever happened, the good things that would happen would go unnoticed and taken for granted, and everything would be a mediocre so-so.

The challenges in our trials and tribulations are like puzzles and this keeps our lives meaningful. Once you accept this idea, life will make a lot more sense trust me. We can minimize our suffering, but I think its much more practical to accept that its there and use your misfortunes resourcefully and to strive for greater treasures, then to deny their existence(because we may not be able to get rid of it, and at least this way we can sleep easier through acceptance). Much of our problems lye within not being unable to get what we want but rather not knowing what we want
"Hasheesh helped a great deal, and once sent him to a part of space where form does not exist, but where glowing gases study the secrets of existence. And a violet-coloured gas told him that this part of space was outside what he had called infinity"
Bubble Wrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 18th, 2009, 01:50 AM   #104 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to Wildcatfball74

Quote:
but we already are seeing evolutionary trends in our sepcies even in recent terms. In WWII the average height of the american was like 5 4" and nowadays average people are taller than they were 50 or 60 years ago. To say were not going to evolve at all even though random mutations happen all the time is completly retarded.
like firebug kidna said, a lot of that has to do with advancements in technology. The more advanced we get and the more we learn about our bodies, the taller we'll get and the longer we'll live.

Quote:
Doesn't it say in the bible that "One man shall not lay with another man as man shall lay with a woman"?(that was for the hate gay people thing.)
so that implies to hate homosexuals? rather than just not live that lifestyle? Or something not negative?

Quote:
no not giants,
something far beyond anything we can possibly comprehend
I think in the bible and some ancient cultures, they talked about Giants the romed the earth, i think they called them the Nephilium?

I member listening to Coast To Coast AM, and many of the people on the show think the Nephilium were some sort of ET's and many of the Ancient Egyptian and even Greek gods were some sort of ET's.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-https://soundcloud.com/wildcatmashups-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Wildcatfball74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 18th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #105 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to Wildcatfball74

think of this aswell.

We laugh at the people in the past for believing and not believing in certain things (even though a lot depends on the lack of technology and knowledge they had)

just imagine in 500 years or even just 100 or 200 years from now, the people are going to be laughing at us for believing in god or evolution or not believing in god or evolution, and various other things like time travel and teleportation and stuff.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-https://soundcloud.com/wildcatmashups-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Wildcatfball74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 18th, 2009, 05:14 AM   #106 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

Send a message via MSN to PhineasFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcatfball74 View Post
like firebug kidna said, a lot of that has to do with advancements in technology. The more advanced we get and the more we learn about our bodies, the taller we'll get and the longer we'll live.
which "advancements" in technology have made us taller?

New Psy-Dub remix!
http://www.ubetoo.com/psytrance/46349
PhineasFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 18th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #107 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
Forum Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhineasFreak View Post
which "advancements" in technology have made us taller?
hormones amongst the genetic food modifications for starters
Unread Oct 18th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #108 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug View Post
hormones amongst the genetic food modifications for starters
what genetically altered foods produce hormones that make us taller?

New Psy-Dub remix!
Unread Oct 18th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #109 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

statistically we are taller now than we were 100 years ago

and this definetly evident 2000 years ago
"Hasheesh helped a great deal, and once sent him to a part of space where form does not exist, but where glowing gases study the secrets of existence. And a violet-coloured gas told him that this part of space was outside what he had called infinity"
Unread Oct 18th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #110 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
Forum Staff

Quote:
what genetically altered foods produce hormones that make us taller?
My logical thought would be foods with growth hormones. Cows are loaded with it be it for bulking them up, or extending the time in which one can milk a cow. Unless of course growth hormones only work when they are directly injected into us instead of being consumed, digested and absorbed.
Unread Oct 18th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #111 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Could it be possible for us to induce ourselves with too many enhancing drugs or whatever and basicly just destroy ourselves? how do we know that us getting taller and smarter are doing us any good? i do believe the life expectency has been going down over the years, but that could simply be just from there being more humans on earth. But could somehow we damage ourselves to the point of no return?(not meaning the polution and everything that we're doing to the planet we're on) With all of these vaccines and medicines and everything couldn't it just alter something and we'd be screwed?
ThaPsycko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 18th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #112 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

actually our life expectancy has been increasing
unfortunately this is what is contributing to overpopulation
Unread Oct 18th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #113 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to its-exit

Quote:
actually our life expectancy has been increasing
unfortunately this is what is contributing to overpopulation
I think its more a birth/death ratio than life expectancy.. which is primarily affected by the fact that people are popping out 3-5 kids easily...

but yea.. life expectancy does play a factor.
Unread Oct 18th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #114 (permalink)
Cruising at 120BPM

Send a message via AIM to HudsonHawk Send a message via MSN to HudsonHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by its-exit View Post
I think its more a birth/death ratio than life expectancy.. which is primarily affected by the fact that people are popping out 3-5 kids easily...

but yea.. life expectancy does play a factor.
meh, it all goes back to life expectancy as people used to pop out 5-10 kids easily, most of them never used to make it to adulthood though, btw 3+ families are pretty rare in the north

Last edited by HudsonHawk : Oct 18th, 2009 at 12:38 PM.
HudsonHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 18th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #115 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

Quote:
My logical thought would be foods with growth hormones. Cows are loaded with it be it for bulking them up, or extending the time in which one can milk a cow. .
i think the hormones of which you speak are generally added as animal feed or given direct to the cows - it seems unlikely we are drinking milk/eating meat from cows which have been genetically engineered to produce growth hormones that would affect humans...

Quote:
Unless of course growth hormones only work when they are directly injected into us instead of being consumed, digested and absorbed.
there are definitely hormones which we consume that affect us, but whether they are the result of genetic modification of things we consume is questionable...

New Psy-Dub remix!
Unread Oct 18th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #116 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
Forum Staff

So you are telling me you think it is questionable and unlikely that the hormones put into animals have an impact on us?

*Shakes his head* We're on opposite sides of the table on this one dude.
Unread Oct 18th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #117 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

Quote:
So you are telling me you think it is questionable and unlikely that the hormones put into animals have an impact on us?
i repeat:

Quote:
there are definitely hormones which we consume that affect us, but whether they are the result of genetic modification of things we consume is questionable...
i.e. i dont question that the hormones affect us, i question that they reach us via genetically modified cows. i agree that they reach us by being put into the animals

i repeat:

Quote:
i think the hormones of which you speak are generally added as animal feed or given direct to the cows - it seems unlikely we are drinking milk/eating meat from cows which have been genetically engineered to produce growth hormones that would affect humans...

New Psy-Dub remix!
Unread Oct 18th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #118 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
Forum Staff

I did read all that stuff the first time. *insert that roll eyes emoticon*

Cows are injected with growth hormone. If you question they reach us via genetically modifed cows, give this a taste, or rather, a read. http://www.copperwiki.org/index.php/...rmones_in_Food
Unread Oct 18th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #119 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

Quote:
Cows are injected with growth hormone. If you question they reach us via genetically modifed cows, give this a taste, or rather, a read. http://www.copperwiki.org/index.php/...rmones_in_Food
i repeat again:

i dont argue with the fact cows are injected with growth hormone.

i argue with the suggestion that the cows are genetically modified. which bit of that article says the cows themselves are genetically modified?

New Psy-Dub remix!
Unread Oct 18th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #120 (permalink)
Forum Moderator
Forum Staff

Quote:
i argue with the suggestion that the cows are genetically modified.
-PhineasFreak

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=Are+cows+ge...=1255891683835

http://www.vetscite.org/publish/items/003450/index.html

http://preventdisease.com/news/artic...ied_cows.shtml

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12172556

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion...man/ncjf62.htm

http://www.gmofoodforthought.com/200...attle_wha.html

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?...DISPLAY=CLAIMS

http://www.geneticsandsociety.org/article.php?id=386

Just a few to look at, and likely still believe cows aren't genetically modified. Then again, growth hormones are injected into cows, which you don't argue. I just don't see how you don't see that as making genetically modified cows. You don't need to keep repeating the same thing to me.