Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > Daily Life > Social Commentary
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Sep 2nd, 2006, 11:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

Default Comedy and racism

I was just watching Premium Blend on the Comedy Channel (Comedy Central in Australia) and it struck me how almost every black comedian on this show has an entire act consisting of "now black folk...but white folks..."

These aren't always offensive, but generally they all have the same themes (so for one thing I don't understand how people can laugh at the same routine done by 50 different people) but generally, if a white comedian performed any of these routines he would be hounded for racism. So why is blatant racism allowed in comedy as long as it's a black person saying it? And is it funny?
Anarise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 2nd, 2006, 11:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Qualified Forum Addict

Send a message via MSN to muffin_man

ya i know what ur talking about, those sets are getting pretty old especially chris rock but some of the stuff is funny and if theres people paying to see it then u gotta live with it cuz they will air it, but they are kinda aloud to be a bit racist like that because white people were a bit racist to them in the first place. its just a big circle
Unread Sep 3rd, 2006, 12:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

..Because negros got guns, son..

..Because, we white folk gave up slavery..
Unread Sep 3rd, 2006, 03:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via MSN to Paxton

Discrimination can be witnessed in many forms, not just the coloured one... As long as the jokes are not vicious, I believe they help reveal how erroneous any form of discrimination really is.

"We must replace predatory capitalism with an economy based on production for use -
not for profit."

~ hermes-press.com
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 3rd, 2006, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

Send a message via MSN to PhineasFreak

what about Australia's own home grown Kevin "Bloody" Wilson? he manages to be eternally popular all over the world, even though he's a white guy who pokes fun at pretty much every race going.

i guess the fact he pokes even more fun at white poeple and himself especially makes people realise it's not racism but good clean (dirty?) laughs at differences in culture etc.

New Psy-Dub remix!
http://www.ubetoo.com/psytrance/46349
PhineasFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 3rd, 2006, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to its-exit

i was watching Carlos Mencia last night...

One of the things he said that i absolutely loved.... He said if you have a joke that makes fun of certain people and you cant tell that joke in front of those people then you cant tell the joke at all....

Then he said the story about he made fun of retards in front of retards..... feckin priceless....

it takes some balls
Unread Sep 4th, 2006, 04:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
DI Trance Addict

Send a message via AIM to DJ Xenomorph

It think its ok for a white comedian to make jokes towards black people and vice versa as long as the comedian leaves room to poke fun of his/her own ethnicity. Its just comedy and I think people should embrace the stereotypes and learn to laugh with it and not be so sensitive.
Unread Sep 4th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to its-exit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Xenomorph
It think its ok for a white comedian to make jokes towards black people and vice versa as long as the comedian leaves room to poke fun of his/her own ethnicity. Its just comedy and I think people should embrace the stereotypes and learn to laugh with it and not be so sensitive.
I completely agree with you.

Something else that Carlos Mencia said after making a joke about the Pope was that it's okay to laugh because god has a sense of humor. I don't see how god couldn't have a sense of humor.... so much humour in life...

Live, Love, and Laugh....
Unread Sep 4th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cruising at 120BPM

Send a message via AIM to HudsonHawk Send a message via MSN to HudsonHawk

i happened to see that Mencia special because Comedy Central was on. I dont think he's funny, but the man's right. If you cant tell a joke in front of the people the joke is about you have no right telling that joke. Anyway back on topic. I'm not sure about Australia but in New York race/stereotype jokes are accepted and there is no seperation as to whos allowed to tell one on stage. In fact it becomes vey interesting to see because comedians have spin these stereotypes in new directions to keep it fresh.
Unread Sep 4th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

Talking

we have to be able to laugh at ourselves, different cultures, different races can have pretty damn funny quirks-----we all have them----we can't have our underwear in a knot all the time--------we need comedians to make light of all sorts of sh1t that's on everyone's mind-----laughing brings people together.....
racism is malicious---good comedy isn't
wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 4th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Xenomorph
Exactamondo!

*sticks neck out*

What does the average pakistani weigh?...

Fruit and veg!

Too much political-correctness is counter-productive IMHO;

Because what's more offensive - someone who is scared of you and unable to be themself around you, or someone trusting you enough to have a bit of a laugh with you?

Can you help ID these? http://forums.di.fm/showthread.php?t=105854
Big Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 4th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Qualified Forum Addict

Send a message via AIM to Don Dutta

obviously the reason why carlos mencia gets away with the shit he says is because he makes fun of em all and thats why its ok and ppl should stop freaking out about it, but than again i feel like a hippucrit since im italian i wouldnt kno how it feels 2 b a part of the group of people thats being made fun of in his show...unless hes talking abouit white ppl but im pretty dark being sicillian and all...lolz now that i look at it i feel left out

Last edited by Don Dutta : Sep 4th, 2006 at 08:39 PM.
Don Dutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 11th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Psyddicted

Why was the islam v christianity thread closed down? OK provocative title but the content was civilised ... maybe having it in the chill room was not a good idea though ...!
Unread Sep 12th, 2006, 01:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustus
Why was the islam v christianity thread closed down? OK provocative title but the content was civilised ... maybe having it in the chill room was not a good idea though ...!
Good question
Unread Sep 16th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

Send a message via MSN to trance__dreams
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Dutta
obviously the reason why carlos mencia gets away with the shit he says is because he makes fun of em all and thats why its ok and ppl should stop freaking out about it, but than again i feel like a hippucrit since im italian i wouldnt kno how it feels 2 b a part of the group of people thats being made fun of in his show...unless hes talking abouit white ppl but im pretty dark being sicillian and all...lolz now that i look at it i feel left out
Sicilian, eh? HISSSS! bahaha. just kidding. I'm...uhh...Tuscan? Or somethin' like that...

But yes. Good point you made. All too often, I never get to experience being the "butt" of jokes. (Most of the time, I consider that a good thing, but sometimes I dunno... )

http://forums.di.fm/showthread.php?t=108488
trance__dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 22nd, 2006, 03:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Qualified Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarise
I was just watching Premium Blend on the Comedy Channel (Comedy Central in Australia) and it struck me how almost every black comedian on this show has an entire act consisting of "now black folk...but white folks..."

These aren't always offensive, but generally they all have the same themes (so for one thing I don't understand how people can laugh at the same routine done by 50 different people) but generally, if a white comedian performed any of these routines he would be hounded for racism. So why is blatant racism allowed in comedy as long as it's a black person saying it? And is it funny?

...because when blacks (or any minority) make jokes from things/themes which can be seem as memories/symbols of their suffering, it´s something like a "self_ironic HUMOR".
...but when majority makes jokes from theme things/theme which can be seem as symbol of suffering (which majority incured to this minority), it wouldnt have been always so funny
duracelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 22nd, 2006, 09:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
G'rilla

a friend of mine recently recounted a story about a 6'+, 300lb bruthuh telling him a long series of n****r jokes...

he wondered: "how hard do i laugh??"
Unread Sep 24th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyC3
a friend of mine recently recounted a story about a 6'+, 300lb bruthuh telling him a long series of n****r jokes...

he wondered: "how hard do i laugh??"

Dave's Friend: "HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! HAHAHA!!!! Oh those negroes, are so silly"
*smack*
Unread Sep 25th, 2006, 01:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
High Peaks Fidelity

Red face

Perhaps it didn't include enough cuberats in it? Or perhaps there weren't enough white Muslims or black Christians represented in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustus

The ladies of Vocal Trance are even more beautiful when using 128K AAC.

Let's take back our country. Check out Ron Paul:

http://www.libertycrier.com/
Rockymtns4fr is offline   Reply With Quote