Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > Daily Life > Social Commentary
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Feb 13th, 2007, 05:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Default Differences between metropolitan people and country people

Hi from Italy!

I'm interested to american lifestyle today: is there diffference between big city people and people living in little cities? And which?

Excuse me for my language's errors....
spiritualworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 13th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

I'm guessing the differences are pretty akin to those differences between people who live in big Italian cities and those that live in rural areas??
Unread Feb 13th, 2007, 06:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotz
I'm guessing the differences are pretty akin to those differences between people who live in big Italian cities and those that live in rural areas??
Maybe.
For example: the italian culture is very catholic, in America there is more freedom. How changes this freedom in big and little cities?
Unread Feb 13th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

first of all you have to understand that its not just big city people and rural people. Theres rural, suburban, and urban. Typically people are more religious in smaller areas that are isolated from everything else
"Hasheesh helped a great deal, and once sent him to a part of space where form does not exist, but where glowing gases study the secrets of existence. And a violet-coloured gas told him that this part of space was outside what he had called infinity"
Bubble Wrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 13th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to Roussi One Send a message via MSN to Roussi One Send a message via Yahoo to Roussi One Send a message via Skype™ to Roussi One

in my experience, mainly from living in small town indiana, big city oregon, big city texas, and 'big city' nebraska, generally there is a closer connection to family life in smaller towns. by that i mean that families are more aware of eachother in a smaller town, whereas in a bigger city kids may come home late at night and the parents have less control over what they do. Another example is, in smaller towns [mainly speaking from farm town Nebraska standpoint] underage drinking is an accepted thing. in cities, it exists, but parents are, or at least play, oblivious to it. It some cases it has to do with the wealth and opportunity, not to mention entertainment that exists in cities, vs. lack of things to do in smaller communities and isolation from big business and such.

in this response im generally combining urban and suburban areas for "big cities" and "small towns" are those disconnected from a larger metropolis.
Unread Feb 14th, 2007, 01:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roussi One
in my experience, mainly from living in small town indiana, big city oregon, big city texas, and 'big city' nebraska, generally there is a closer connection to family life in smaller towns. by that i mean that families are more aware of eachother in a smaller town, whereas in a bigger city kids may come home late at night and the parents have less control over what they do. Another example is, in smaller towns [mainly speaking from farm town Nebraska standpoint] underage drinking is an accepted thing. in cities, it exists, but parents are, or at least play, oblivious to it. It some cases it has to do with the wealth and opportunity, not to mention entertainment that exists in cities, vs. lack of things to do in smaller communities and isolation from big business and such.

in this response im generally combining urban and suburban areas for "big cities" and "small towns" are those disconnected from a larger metropolis.
Your answer is very interesting for me. Overall because you have lived in both 'dimensions'. In your opinion, which are the benefits to living in small towns? And the handicaps in bigger cities?

Thanks for your attention
Unread Feb 14th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Silver Wolfknight

When i was younger I lived in joburg South Africa and then moved to Austria in a small city Steyr.

Ya there is a difference to a big city and a small town in a big city as a young kid you don't have that much freedom and in a smaller town you got much more freedom!
I hated the crime rates in joburg it was really like living in a prison OK N.y is not that bad as joburg but still and when i moved then to Austria it was like living in a country with hardly any crime till the EU (Thanks for nothing !!)
and the people are just so different not so much stress and hectic.

And talk about fresh air all around!

I would rather live in a small town than in a big city but i do sometimes miss the big city
Unread Feb 14th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Loading ...

Send a message via AIM to <=M=>

Growing up I lived in a small town called Carlton, MN — population 910. Graduated with 60 students in my class, there were a total of 500 students k-12grade.

I loved living in a small town. I had miles upon miles of forests and acres to play on, ride snowmobiles and atvs, go for walks in the woods on saturdays and not come back until dinner time.

Now my wife and I live in the cities (minneapolis). We're both from the same area. I do enjoy the city-life, however I miss the rural side of things.

Someday I will move back up north, or to a rural area. Maybe it's different because I was raised in a rural setting and now live in the city, but I prefer rural over city.

You can always go "visit" the city when living in rural area. While the same could be said for living in a city, and visiting the woods, but I don't think it's the same.

I prefer the woods.
Unread Feb 14th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Silver Wolfknight

^How true
Unread Feb 14th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to Roussi One Send a message via MSN to Roussi One Send a message via Yahoo to Roussi One Send a message via Skype™ to Roussi One

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritualworld
Your answer is very interesting for me. Overall because you have lived in both 'dimensions'. In your opinion, which are the benefits to living in small towns? And the handicaps in bigger cities?
Thanks for your attention

In my opinion, i appreciate the larger cities more just because, this is all generally speaking, you have a greater ability to succeed. I think that "city life" provides a well-rounded experience, where as a small town lacks certain crucial elements for development. For example, i currently live in a smaller city. its not a town, but is certainly not a big city. we have one electronica bar, we have no convention center, a small airport, no major roads or highways, [well, one off to the north, but its not for city travel] The people i go to school with that have lived here their whole lives are very narrow minded, and very inexperienced in some ways. Many of them come from farm communities which are towns of, well say 1000, and they have no movie theatre, maybe two chain-restaurants, 5 bars [haha, have to get drunk right?] but generally speaking have nothing for entertainment, and the education there lacks.

but to answer your question as you presented it:
the benefits of a small town is the sense of community. There is a much closer bond between family and neighbors, such as in the town i lived in where we knew the one police officer, we would always be outside in the evenings [as a child] i would be playing with all the neighborhood kids.

this doesnt happen in larger cities. The potential is there, but the way that the cities i have lived in have been set up, its difficult to really get out and do things [as a child] because of traffic and safety concerns. Not to mention community planning has changed majorly. for America, older towns, being smaller towns, have a more community based design, where there is a town center and parks, porches and yards etc etc etc. urban planners destroyed a lot of that during the suburban sprawl, where numerous town centers were developed, garages became the main entrance to the house, and people became reclusive and individualistic.

Im really rambling, cuz im tired. haha

but let me sum it up in this: the main difference between small towns and big cities is society. Big cities breed the individualistic attitude, where as small towns are a little more old fashion because of isolation and population, and therefore have a more communal attitude.

Last edited by Roussi One : Feb 14th, 2007 at 07:13 PM.
Roussi One is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 15th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Chillin with Buddah
Forum Moderator

Smile Global Diversity!!!

From reading the posts that everyone has written, my experiences proved to be different. On a topic such as this, that's all it can really boil down to.

In the US, each city has it's own theme and sense of identity to it. If you take New York, Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles and Las Vegas, the way of life is entirely different in each so it's hard to generalize.

The same applies to smaller cities like Albany, Troy, Schenectady, NY and El Paso, TX. The way of life differs even between those smaller cities and small towns like Feurabush, Green Island, Watervliet and Selkirk, NY.

Whether you are living in Richmond, VA or living in Bennets Bridge, Ireland, the way people live is extremely different. Whether people who live in Large cities or small ones, everyone's experiences are going to be different and that's a fact.

Oh and to my experience, I have not seen any differences in freedom between the rural, suburban or urban environments nor have I seen any differences in the surrounding environments between the cities in the US, England or Ireland and I've spent a great time in all three. The only differences are in the laws that each country enforces.
Unread Feb 15th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Send a message via MSN to Xyz_39808 Send a message via Skype™ to Xyz_39808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Groove
The same applies to smaller cities like Albany, Troy, Schenectady, NY and El Paso, TX. .
Troy 48,649
Schenectady 61,016
Albany 93,919
El Paso 584,113
New York 8,085,742

I wouldn't consider El Paso to be part of the small cities category

Just for fun:

Your area: Las Vegas 517,017
My hometown 35,136
My current area 156,178
The city my school is in 4,152

Source U.S. Census Bureau: State and County QuickFacts

Missed our tag team set "Parting Tributes" but still wanna hear?
Find it here! http://soundcloud.com/ridleyxyz/
Xyz_39808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 16th, 2007, 01:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Country people don't like the city, and city people are afraid of the country.
Unread Feb 16th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Whereas each generalization is always relative, also in Italy the main difference is, in accord to point of view of Roussi One , the individualism versus the solidarity.
But today, in my impression, also in small town the individualism is amplifing.

Which is your opinion about this impression?
Unread Feb 16th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Groove
From reading the posts that everyone has written, my experiences proved to be different. On a topic such as this, that's all it can really boil down to.

In the US, each city has it's own theme and sense of identity to it. If you take New York, Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles and Las Vegas, the way of life is entirely different in each so it's hard to generalize.

The same applies to smaller cities like Albany, Troy, Schenectady, NY and El Paso, TX. The way of life differs even between those smaller cities and small towns like Feurabush, Green Island, Watervliet and Selkirk, NY.

Whether you are living in Richmond, VA or living in Bennets Bridge, Ireland, the way people live is extremely different. Whether people who live in Large cities or small ones, everyone's experiences are going to be different and that's a fact.

Oh and to my experience, I have not seen any differences in freedom between the rural, suburban or urban environments nor have I seen any differences in the surrounding environments between the cities in the US, England or Ireland and I've spent a great time in all three. The only differences are in the laws that each country enforces.
Hi!
Can you give me, in one word, the description of the way of life of New York versus Los Angeles?
Thanks
Unread Feb 16th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:
Hi!
Can you give me, in one word, the description of the way of life of New York versus Los Angeles?
Thanks
Summer!!! LA's weather's great, while I'm here freezing my butt in NY.

5 weeks till spring....
Wadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 16th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Quote:
Hi!
Thanks
The one word for New York...people
New York there are people around all the time and everywhere. On the sidewalks, on the trains, everywhere. You can't really get away from them so you have to like people. New York has vibrance.

The one word for LA...cars
LA is a wasteland of cars. You can't get anywhere without cars and nothing is within walking distance. You see people in buildings and tourists on some on the streets, but you walk around LA at night, and only the freaks are out.

Given the choice, I take NY in a heartbeat.
StarkRavinMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 16th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pb
IRC Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkRavinMad
The one word for New York...people
[...]
The one word for LA...cars
That's exactly my take. Someone explained this phenomenon to me -- big cities established before the advent of cars have been designed for people to get to places on foot, like NYC, Philadelphia, San Francisco or various European cities. Cities like Los Angeles and Las Vegas were designed for cars to go places, which make them very people un-friendly.
Pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 17th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkRavinMad
Given the choice, I take NY in a heartbeat.
make sure to bring a heavy coat, a hat, a scarf, mittens and dress in layers to keep that heart of yours from freezing.

Right Now for New York, NY Partly Cloudy 21°F Feels Like 9°F

Right Now for Los Angeles, CA Clear 64°F Feels Like 64°F

Last edited by Wadi : Feb 17th, 2007 at 06:21 AM.
Wadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 19th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
Chillin with Buddah
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyz_39808
I wouldn't consider El Paso to be part of the small cities category
I have a friend who lives in El Paso and she says it's a small city so that's all I have to go on.