Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > Daily Life > Social Commentary
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Feb 12th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pb
IRC Crew
 
Pb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: 404
Posts: 2,063
Default Worst case of hyperinflation: Yugoslavia 1993~1994

Within 1 year and 4 months, the Yugoslavian Dinar inflated by 5,000,000,000,000,000%.

http://www.rogershermansociety.com/yugoslavia.htm
Pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 13th, 2007, 01:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict
 
ChArBrOiL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Zero Eight Zero Eight
Posts: 3,525
Default

Bringing its grand total worth to a whopping 1/10000 of one US Dollar!
__________________
Feel the groove. I said FEEL it!
ChArBrOiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 7th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
G'rilla
 
DeyC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Citra, FL
Posts: 2,884
Default



are there really people who still dont understand that economic functions are a force of reality?
__________________
Much has changed.
DeyC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 8th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict
 
.pi.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Posts: 459
Default

I went to Serbia, to meet a friend, in 2003. She gave me a bank note that was still valid currency in Serbia in 1994. The nominal value of that bank note is five hundred billion dinars. In reality, it's worth 2 euros (or about $2.5 or so).

When I talked about it with her mother, she said that shops changed their prices twice a day; once in the morning, and once in the evening. The only way to have money that kept its value was to change all your dinars to some other currency, like German marks like she did. Bad thing for those with lots of savings, but an absolute blessing to those in debt. My friend's mother bought an approx. 80m2 apartment for 216 German marks. She also spent insane amounts of money with cheques, since she knew the debt will be nothing in a matter of days.

Here's a photograph of the note:



.pi.
__________________
.psychedelicious.

Last edited by .pi. : Mar 8th, 2007 at 07:54 AM.
.pi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 20th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict
 
.pi.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Posts: 459
Default

Ok, let's try again. Here's a pic of the note:

__________________
.psychedelicious.
.pi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 20th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pb
IRC Crew
 
Pb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: 404
Posts: 2,063
Default

I wonder if it cost more for them to print the money.
Pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 21st, 2007, 06:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict
 
stub's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .pi.
I went to Serbia, to meet a friend, in 2003. She gave me a bank note that was still valid currency in Serbia in 1994. The nominal value of that bank note is five hundred billion dinars. In reality, it's worth 2 euros (or about $2.5 or so).

When I talked about it with her mother, she said that shops changed their prices twice a day; once in the morning, and once in the evening. The only way to have money that kept its value was to change all your dinars to some other currency, like German marks like she did. Bad thing for those with lots of savings, but an absolute blessing to those in debt. My friend's mother bought an approx. 80m2 apartment for 216 German marks. She also spent insane amounts of money with cheques, since she knew the debt will be nothing in a matter of days.

Here's a photograph of the note:
Awesome story!

I never realised things could get to the point of changing prices twice a day.

The same thing happened in Germany after the second world war; no surprise there.

As for changing your currency into marks, or something else, does this mean that the amount of exchange bureaus around the country would explode? Anyone who owned one would become rich, even?
__________________
http://infobeat.blogspot.com

DJ & music reviews, general EDM news.
stub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pb
IRC Crew
 
Pb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: 404
Posts: 2,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stub
As for changing your currency into marks, or something else, does this mean that the amount of exchange bureaus around the country would explode? Anyone who owned one would become rich, even?
Unless this exchange bureau quickly dump the useless Dinar on someone else or get into the recycling business, I don't see how they can become rich sitting on a mountain of paper. ^_^
Pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict
 
stub's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pb
Unless this exchange bureau quickly dump the useless Dinar on someone else or get into the recycling business, I don't see how they can become rich sitting on a mountain of paper. ^_^
Commission.

In a healthy economy, money gets changed X times a day.

In that ridiculous economy, the number of transactions might be 500X as everyone is changing money, all day.

On each transaction, the bureau gets a commission, hence why I thought they might become rich.
__________________
http://infobeat.blogspot.com

DJ & music reviews, general EDM news.
stub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 23rd, 2007, 03:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict
 
OTTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 3,233
Default

Inflation 1923-24:

A German woman feeding a stove with currency notes, which burn longer than the amount of firewood they can buy.




The caption from a photo in the Wikipedia article on Hyperinflation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperinflation
__________________
I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again! ... Bart Simpson.
OTTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 24th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
Pb
IRC Crew
 
Pb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: 404
Posts: 2,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stub
On each transaction, the bureau gets a commission, hence why I thought they might become rich.
It kind of make sense, but I failed to get it when I try to think through the entire process:

Suppose the bureau agrees to change 1,000,000 Dinars for 10 Marks, taking a 10% commission (making a 1 Mark commission); but in actual physical property, they are out 10 Marks and they gain 1,100,000 Dinars in return, which turn to less that 11 Marks overnight. I can't see how they are making money in actual terms, unless they can quickly turn the Dinars into something else.
Pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 4th, 2007, 02:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict
 
Electronica Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 1,954
Default

my collection...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4100970.JPG (156.8 KB, 963 views)
Electronica Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright © 2010 Digitally Imported, Inc.