Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > General Discussion > The Artist Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Oct 4th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Default Question about an organ effect

I don't know how to explain this. In a lot of House tracks you hear an organ that plays one note, but at the same time, it also plays agacent note. (I believe it's called the "fifth".) How is this done?

Example: Show Me Love by Robin S.
Unread Oct 4th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Are you sure that's an organ? Just sounds like a plain synth to me.
- I float away...
- You are my guide, You are my light, You take me to a place where i can shine
DJ_Serg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 4th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

I don't know what you are referring to. I caught the track on youtube and it just sounded like a synth. Playing a note and a fifth at the same time is easy, you just do it. I don't know what else you are looking for?

"A lot can be said by a 3xosc with a dissonant melody and the right insert effect." -DeadMau5
sidran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 4th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

its a common house note, and it is special... you can find it as "organ bass" or something like that in the z3ta+ vst plugin (its on the 'B' page in the presets)... a lot of other synths have it as well because it is such a house standard... i love that song by the way.
Yacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 5th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yacek View Post
its a common house note, and it is special... you can find it as "organ bass" or something like that in the z3ta+ vst plugin (its on the 'B' page in the presets)... a lot of other synths have it as well because it is such a house standard... i love that song by the way.
So it's basicly an organ with a special effect that makes it sound like it's playing two notes at the same time? That would make sence.
Unread Oct 5th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

something like that... I haven't tried making it myself but I do use it and tweak the preset from the z3ta+
Yacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 5th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

with something like a hammond organ their are alot of effects just like an analogue synthesizer
like slow and fast rotators, and gain
"Hasheesh helped a great deal, and once sent him to a part of space where form does not exist, but where glowing gases study the secrets of existence. And a violet-coloured gas told him that this part of space was outside what he had called infinity"
Bubble Wrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 5th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble Wrap View Post
with something like a hammond organ their are alot of effects just like an analogue synthesizer
like slow and fast rotators, and gain
Speaking of hammond organs, do they have dials, or things that can let you change the pitch of a note? (like this) There are a few songs I've heard with hammond organs that do that.

Last edited by chisbu : Oct 5th, 2008 at 02:45 PM.
chisbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 5th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

I suppose I'm missing something... how hard is it for you to play a note and its fifth at the same time? I can think of a couple ways to do it easily. All you really need is the organ sound, which you can generate with one of various synths. Then you can make it play any notes you really want, at a time even.

"A lot can be said by a 3xosc with a dissonant melody and the right insert effect." -DeadMau5
Unread Oct 5th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidran View Post
I suppose I'm missing something... how hard is it for you to play a note and its fifth at the same time? I can think of a couple ways to do it easily. All you really need is the organ sound, which you can generate with one of various synths. Then you can make it play any notes you really want, at a time even.
Maybe with a really expensive synth like you hear in Dance music, but not with ordinary $200 Casio/Yamaha keyboards like the ones I have.
Unread Oct 5th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisbu View Post
Maybe with a really expensive synth like you hear in Dance music, but not with ordinary $200 Casio/Yamaha keyboards like the ones I have.
Aha. I'm thinking in terms of software, as that's how I've been running for years now, and you are talking about on hardware. So, that $200 keyboard doesn't even have polyphony? I would have expected a $200 keyboard would. Couldn't you jst play one note, count up 5 steps, and play that one too at the same time? It may be a bit more difficult to coordinate for faster played melodies, but it would work. :P

Last edited by sidran : Oct 5th, 2008 at 04:53 PM.
Unread Oct 5th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Quote:
Speaking of hammond organs, do they have dials, or things that can let you change the pitch of a note? (like this) There are a few songs I've heard with hammond organs that do that.
I dont think its like that
in native instruments theres an organ emulator called the B3
you should check it out if you can find it, you can make a lot of different organ sounds with it like the live one
"Hasheesh helped a great deal, and once sent him to a part of space where form does not exist, but where glowing gases study the secrets of existence. And a violet-coloured gas told him that this part of space was outside what he had called infinity"
Bubble Wrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 6th, 2008, 02:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

Send a message via MSN to PhineasFreak

Quote:
that would be a "pitch-bend wheel". it's damn near impossible to buy a modern keyboard synth/controller without one - although many classic hammonds wouldn't have had one modern reproductions and softsynths generally have the capability.

New Psy-Dub remix!
http://www.ubetoo.com/psytrance/46349
PhineasFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 6th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Yesterday I was playing with an organ on one of my keyboards, and I heard the same effect, only it wasn't as noticable as the one in the house tracks.
Unread Nov 22nd, 2008, 07:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

@ Yacek: I don't think it's just House music that uses it. I'm also hearing it in some Eurodance music. (like some songs by Vengaboys)

Unread Nov 22nd, 2008, 09:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

Send a message via MSN to PhineasFreak

Quote:
@ Yacek: I don't think it's just House music that uses it. I'm also hearing it in some Eurodance music. (like some songs by Vengaboys)

it may not just be house music that uses it but it was such a cliched sound from early '90s house tunes that alot of synths now have such patches labelled as "house organ" or "house organ bass" or whatever...

novation's V-Station has a particularly fine collection of em in it's presets...

New Psy-Dub remix!
http://www.ubetoo.com/psytrance/46349
PhineasFreak is offline   Reply With Quote