Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > General Discussion > The Artist Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Oct 14th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

Question Studio Monitors

I am looking to buy myself some monitors to help improve my production. I am searching for something within the limits of $400 and that plays the sound back ACCURATELY... So far I am considering the Yamaha HS50M shown here --> Yamaha HS50M Active Studio Monitor (70 Watts, 1x5 in.) from zZounds.com!

What is the difference between Passive/Unpowered and Active/Powered Monitors?

I own a Presonus Firebox shown here --> http://www.zzounds.com/item--PRSFIREBOX I would like to use this to hook up the speakers as it offers much higher quality sound than my laptop soundcard

Last edited by Yacek : Oct 14th, 2008 at 06:30 PM.
Yacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 14th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

passive is unpowered = needs an external amp like you'd find in your hifi separates to drive the membranes and active has it's amplifier/s in the speakers' cabinet/s, volume and other stuff can be regulated directly on the speaker.
should you go passive + amp you just need to route your speakers to your amp and your amp to your audio interface.
though the former studio standard the Yamahas, which are active btw, are not flat or neutral, they're derived from hi-fi shelf speakers.and established themselves with sound engineers to monitor how the mix would sound away from a big PA or the small whatever small speaker the studios had, that's how they became kinda standard, for availabliity and spread rather than for accuracy.

my preference would be Genelec 8020A but they're around 400
within your range should be:-
Alesis M1Active 620
Alesis Monitor One MK11
Tannoy Reveal 5A
Fostex PM1`

I've heard KRK does decent monitors too, my mate has some Adam A7 (not your budget) and I personally used to have Dynaudio BM 6A but since I sold them I monitor on passive Mission speakers running from a NAD (2x30W nom.) amplifier.
90degrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 14th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

very helpful 90degrees... i've heard some good things about the KRK's as well, gonna research some more on all the ones you mentioned...
Unread Oct 15th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

I really like the alesis RA150 model suggested and I would like to pair it with the Alesis RA150 amp shown here -> Alesis RA150 Power Amp User Reviews - zZounds.com ... any thoughts, maybe a different amp recommendation, opinions welcome

Last edited by Yacek : Oct 15th, 2008 at 12:52 AM.
Unread Oct 15th, 2008, 01:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Wink RA150 twice, as amp and speakers?

I take it you mean the Monitors One MkII as they are the only passive ones I nearly suggested - correct is MONITOR ONE ACTIVE MK2.
you don't need to go overboard with the amp, also keep in mind that the RA150 is strictly linear, no adjustments for treble and bass - which you obviously want in a true monitoring environment but can be limiting if you playback sound sources or want to alter ranges w/o actually manipulating the file you're listening too.
The NAD 3120 (actually "only" 2x25W RMS) I use along a NAD 710 receiver (sometimes you want to record stuff from the radio for samples - really need to finish my mix with the announcements from the marine weather forecast, hehe)
was 50 quid from ebay iirc, is solidly and simplisticly built (no frills electronics for clean signal) and sounds superb.

I don't have a preference for one over the other but if it is a pure computer based production suite I'd prolly go for actives just for ease of use and electicity savings, some also come with switches to compensate for certain room acoustics/spaces, which can be a bon.
Though if anyone else thinks one is better than the other please do share why.

As well as going for good monitors (stretch the budget as far as you can, it really is you-get-what-you-pay-for) AND cables do also keep an eye, erm, ear on your room acoustics.

MONITOR PLACEMENT

Last edited by 90degrees : Oct 15th, 2008 at 02:01 AM. Reason: fooled by google and digital village
90degrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Oct 15th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

yes the mk2 was on my mind (don't know why i put the amp down) ... my concern with the powered monitors was that people complain of a low hiss... my completed tracks will be submitted to an audio engineer anyway but i would like to hand them something clean, i agree though you get what u pay for... im going to hassle some salesmen this weekend... yes i produce on my comp almost exclusively.

EDIT: when i get out of school and then work Ill check out monitor placement.

Last edited by Yacek : Oct 15th, 2008 at 12:46 PM.
Unread Oct 15th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

I like the point with the stands... and listening to commercial tracks to get a feel for yourself on how certain frequencies sound (I love just listening to the the bass and kick, its convenient since that is the intro for a lot of house music).
Unread Nov 6th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Addict

what's the best bang for the buck that anyone's found in this area?
visionchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Nov 6th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

I would say KRK... really though I ended up getting M-audio BX5a (for $200) because I feel you can really "learn" how your speakers sound and plus I send out my tracks for mastering anyway so really it's about getting a good mix in my case at least.
Unread Dec 11th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Addict

we use Adam a7 for electronic music and we are very happy...good value/price material
DarkMindProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 6th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Im happy with my Samson Rubicon R5a's
EDGE Recordings is offline   Reply With Quote