Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > Daily Life > The Chill Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jan 10th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
DI Chillout Dream Addict

Smile A Better Sleep A Better You

The many frequent questions asked in regards to sleep as follows:

How do you stifle a yawn? According to Dr. Gordon Gallup, a psychology professor at State University in New York, people don’t yawn because they’re bored or tired. It’s actually the brain’s way of cooling off! Because just like a computer, your brain gets hot during any kind of intense activity. So, yawning is your body’s natural way to force cool air into your lungs – which then cools the blood flowing to your brain. If you’d rather not let out a big yawn in the middle of an important meeting, try this: Inhale deeply through your nose. There are tiny blood vessels in your nose that connect directly to your brain. So one or two deep breaths should cool the blood flow enough to muffle your urge to yawn.

How can you fall asleep faster? Here’s a tip from sleep expert Dr. Robert Shane. He suggests mimicking sensations the body feels as you drift off. First, relax your tongue. Un-glue it from the roof of your mouth and let it rest naturally in your mouth. Because your tongue is basically the switch for your nervous system. When it's moving around, your body and brain can't shut off. Next, focus on your breathing – specifically the rise and fall of your chest and abdomen. This creates a sense of comfort. From there, your mind will get quieter, your body will relax, and you’ll drift off.

How do you get rid of post-nap grogginess? If you always wake up from a nap with that stunned “where am I” feeling, it’s probably because your naps are too long. Neurologist Dr. Kenneth Wright says a full sleep cycle lasts 90 minutes. So if you nap for more than an hour, you run the risk of cycling from light sleep into the deep sleep stage – which temporarily impairs your brain. However, if you limit your nap to about 20 minutes, you’ll stay in the light sleep stage and wake up feeling refreshed and alert, with NO grogginess.

Source: Southwestern Medicine Magazine

Sweet Dreams

♫■♫■♫■♫■♫■♫■♫■♫■♫■♫■♫■♫■♫
Smith & Pledger - White

Master of Dimensions.
Pleaser of Crowds.
Dimentio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 10th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

That is gangster. I am going to try the second suggestion tonight.
Unread Jan 10th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

I have no problem sleeping because I have one of these and also one of these

Put either of those between your legs and pump full tilt for 2 hours straight. Instant sleep.
Unread Jan 10th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

I knew about the breathing
but I've never heard anything about the tongue before
the best strategy for sleeping is just being completly motionless for a long period of time like 15 minutes
then your more relaxed and falling asleep is easier
"Hasheesh helped a great deal, and once sent him to a part of space where form does not exist, but where glowing gases study the secrets of existence. And a violet-coloured gas told him that this part of space was outside what he had called infinity"
Bubble Wrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 10th, 2008, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

I'm going to bed right now and see if the second paragraph (tongue and breathing) are helpful. Generally, sleep isn't a problem for me, but once in a while I awaken and have difficulty returning to sleep or relaxing enough to do so.

Sleep tight!!

Unread Jan 10th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chronic Addict
Forum Staff

I always yawn towards the end of my workouts and I've never understood why the frequency increases so much. Maybe this is why. But when working out, I do breathe deeply and through the nose like this but maybe my brain is just super hot. This might also explain why I yawn so much at work. I just assumed I was not sleeping enough even though I'm not all that tired. That's interesting.

For sleeping, I find that I often tense up my face in bed so relaxing it helps a lot. I'll keep the tounge in mind.

I've definately noticed that the longer I take a nap, the worse I feel when I wake up and the more tired I am. Short naps are money but often they don't feel worth it to me. I'm not much of a napper.

Satya Yuga - mixed by Helix
http://www.helionoctis.com/Helix/212013-satya-yuga/

Solunar - mixed by Helix
http://www.helionoctis.com/Helix/solunar-11112012/

Apotheosis - mixed by Helix
http://www.helionoctis.com/Helix/apotheosis-02112012/
Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 11th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
DI Chillout Dream Addict

The second part of the sleep method helped in some ways when I was anemic and prone to Restless Leg Syndrome.

Smith & Pledger - White

Master of Dimensions.
Pleaser of Crowds.
Unread Jan 11th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Send a message via MSN to Xyz_39808 Send a message via Skype™ to Xyz_39808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimentio View Post
Neurologist Dr. Kenneth Wright says most people have a full sleep cycle that lasts about 90 minutes.

Source: Southwestern Medicine Magazine

Sweet Dreams
Fixed

Search this on wikipedia for more info
My cycle is about 75 minutes.

Missed our tag team set "Parting Tributes" but still wanna hear?
Find it here! http://soundcloud.com/ridleyxyz/
Xyz_39808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 11th, 2008, 12:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cooking Up A Mix
Forum Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helix View Post
I always yawn towards the end of my workouts .

i've had the same problem for years, its low blood pressure, it doesn't rise as fast as it should when you exercise, so the body needs extra oxygen, hence the yawning, which physiologically boosts your blood pressure and your heart rate.

I Use Multi-Million Dollar Satellites to Find Tupperware in the Woods :D
all my sets at my ever W.I.P. website --> http://www.t4e.nu/
trance4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 11th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

i wish i could sleep right now

..Can we dance like everythings alright.. can we trade the day into the night..
Jilly_baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 11th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Great. I'll get me head down on the desk at work and just give that a go.
Unread Jan 11th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Qualified Forum Addict

I've had sleeping issues since birth. I'm not a napper, in fact the very opposite, sleeping only at night and well after hours. Certainly the insider's guide is insightful, but one may convolute the actual arrangement, and try to tongue the abdominal while breathing on their chest. Now it may appear far-fetched, but given the often vivacious movement one makes subconsciously, it may become for some no joke. You may look to incorporate a variety of warming liquids simply to soothe your sensibilities, or to even alleviate the audaciousness of an outrageous day. But there is one universal truth. Whether a casual or collective sleeper, there will always exist that trick of the trade. Just look at the individuals that sleep upside down, or with even their eyes open.
Mikey Tolerance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 12th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
DI Chillout Dream Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyz_39808 View Post
Fixed

Search this on wikipedia for more info
My cycle is about 75 minutes.
Just dishing out what I've read.

Smith & Pledger - White

Master of Dimensions.
Pleaser of Crowds.
Unread Jan 13th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

I actually fall asleep pretty fast by listening to music
Unread Jan 13th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Its always taken me at least an hour to get to sleep, in any situation (without being intoxicated). Im used to this, so it doesnt matter.

A tip for better sleeping: make sure you have plump pillows. Many people underestimate the impact of flat saggy pillows - not only do they hinder sleep but they make it harder to get up in the morning.
Unread Jan 13th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Lol i guess i'm better at sleeping than some of you on here. I can sleep in any positions - sitting, standing while leaning on something... whatever. I also fall asleep in like a minute. Me and my dad are the same when it comes to sleeping
- I float away...
- You are my guide, You are my light, You take me to a place where i can shine
DJ_Serg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 13th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
DI Chillout Dream Addict

Now see for me I can't sleep in public places or transportation even. So after a 5 hour layover, plus a 14 hour flight; you'd see me walking through the terminal with actual "Red Eyes".

Smith & Pledger - White

Master of Dimensions.
Pleaser of Crowds.
Unread Jan 14th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Qualified Forum Addict

Quote:
Now see for me I can't sleep in public places or transportation even. So after a 5 hour layover, plus a 14 hour flight; you'd see me walking through the terminal with actual "Red Eyes".
It seems a trifle troubling you cannot appear to sleep at all through long-haul travel. You wouldn't sleep long, but long enough to register psychosis. Is it a case of never sleeping long-haul or having never slept through it at all? You just find an empty three-seater and set up shop. If all occupied, one would often seek solace at the bottom of a lofty white wine. At ten thousand feet above the Earth, your ability to remain conscious, especially under the influence, would lesson with every drop of alcohol accumulated. Either that or deep breathing. Just remember to take the eye covers off upon arrival or you'd be wandering around the terminal a likened terrorism hostage. Which for some, may just look frightening.
Mikey Tolerance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 14th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
Daydreaming Globetrotter

Thumbs up *ahh to sleep, perchance to dream*

Quote:
Dramamine is your best friend, my dear friend~

I had the same problem as you, not being able to sleep during travel. Then one day I found myself lying delirious on the Narita airport floor after our 11 hour flight at which point I gave in to my Dad's suggestion and popped one of those bad boys before boarding the next flight. Slept like a baby the whole way (about 5 hours) from Japan to Hong Kong. Now, I consider it an absolute essential, even bringing backup tubes in case I lose or forget one somewhere along the line. I never travel without it and suggest that all long-haul voyagers do the same~

The breathwork is a great idea, as is soothing music and visualisation, guided imagery, and meditation CDs. A boring book might do it. But when in doubt dude, go for the pharmaceutical support option. Best of all is to combine multiple sleep-inducing methods for maximum chances to have a wee snooze~

and LT, thanks for the tips here mate. My eye ava has returned because my insomnia has returned. I find myself in a state of limbo, of transition, and I always struggle to sleep well during these uncertain times. How interesting to note that traveling is being in limbo, in transition too~

music is my 1st love ~ edm 4 life

All aboard travelling into a trancetastic future -d_o & I

Keep the peace flowing, the love growing, the unity going

Let the music take control of your body and your soul
travelyogatrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jan 14th, 2008, 04:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

I'm going through severe sleep deprivation right now. I'm at college, a party this weekend screwed everything up, I haven't slept since.

I can't wait to get on a bus in half an hour and just for those 50 minutes of sleep I'll have there. Sleep deprivation is one of the worst feelings ever IMO.

Anbd it always makes me feel like my face is very greasy.