Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > Daily Life > The Chill Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Dec 6th, 2004, 08:00 AM   #101 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Shit peeps i was looking on here to get my Monday Rolling on a good one but now i feel as tho i might just jump off London bridge !?

Mate all i can say is think before you go !!

I no i havent posted many threads so dont no what it was like back in Your day ( DURING THE WAR ........ ) and in my short space of time ive had a thread vanish off the face of the earth but im still here, like you say Lurking trying to get out of as much work as possible !

You know / we all know your be back maybe not as the Dancing Chicken maybe a Dancing Cow etc ........

What ever your decision take it easy..................

Would help if i logged in first ................................
Unread Dec 6th, 2004, 01:50 PM   #102 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

wow this is prob one of the biggest threads in the chill room. There havent been any recent chill room threads that have made it this big in a while.
alix03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 6th, 2004, 02:01 PM   #103 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by alix03
wow this is prob one of the biggest threads in the chill room. There havent been any recent chill room threads that have made it this big in a while.
That's because people care about stuff like this.
Unread Dec 6th, 2004, 05:36 PM   #104 (permalink)
Eternal Fatalist

new topic for next thread.

My bum itches, disguss amongst yourselves....
Unread Dec 7th, 2004, 09:51 PM   #105 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to carenesworld Send a message via Yahoo to carenesworld

one less soldier on the front. perhaps reanimation during the next batch, that one was a good model.

l8r d4e
carenesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 7th, 2004, 10:27 PM   #106 (permalink)
I support DI Premium!

Unhappy

I don't even post here all that much, but I'm still upset to see Dance4Ever go. I'm sure he'll be missed. And if you happen to read this, D4E, have a good life.
PennStater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 8th, 2004, 12:00 PM   #107 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

I check in maybe once a month on these forums. It just became too much to wade through and I'm getting too old for this at 32.

I came in today because I thought I missed the birthday bash and wanted to see if it was available anywhere for download. To my surprise there was no birthday bash this year. I guess it really does signal a change at DI. With the shift to a pay service and the downgrade of the free it was sure to change the community here itself. I miss some of the old timers and our fun and serious discussions. There was an excitement in the early years that can never be achieved again. It is a milestone now to be looked back on.

Godspeed to all the DI pioneers who are moving on.
Procrastination is the thief of time. - Edward Young (1683-1765)
RB Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 8th, 2004, 12:28 PM   #108 (permalink)
Pb
IRC Crew

Quote:
Originally posted by RB Tech
To my surprise there was no birthday bash this year. I guess it really does signal a change at DI.
There was a 14-hour birthday set on goa-psy. And I believe they have to spend a lot of time for Armin's set, which is just in time for DI birthday ^_^
Pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 8th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #109 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by logskies
Well, who's going to adopt that avatar? We can't let that thing go with him!
It's too late. He took it with him in another forum. I'm also a member.
chisbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 8th, 2004, 01:00 PM   #110 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dance4Ever
btw, I know a lot of you like my avatar , I dont mind if any of you will use it!

here it is:

You'll just have to remove "Dance4Ever" from the avatar.
chisbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 9th, 2004, 09:42 AM   #111 (permalink)
DI Team

Quote:
Originally posted by RB Tech
I check in maybe once a month on these forums. It just became too much to wade through and I'm getting too old for this at 32.

I came in today because I thought I missed the birthday bash and wanted to see if it was available anywhere for download. To my surprise there was no birthday bash this year. I guess it really does signal a change at DI.
No DI's birthday is - and has always been - December 6, not December 8. This year you missed a 14+ hour special of continuous mixes on the Goa/Psy channel.

If you recall there was no Goa/Psy Arena in Exposure Festival 2004. So this was a really special treat for the Psychadelic fans who may have felt they were overlooked earlier this year.

(Note that I've been working with DJ Morlack and PsyShop.com, and they've decided to try to organize a Goa/Psy Arena for Exposure 2005 with some of the biggest names in the scene).

Lee Haslam - MUSIC Is The Drug
Entranced is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 9th, 2004, 10:11 AM   #112 (permalink)
avalanche research
Forum Staff

Send a message via MSN to endure

Quote:
Originally posted by Entranced
If you recall there was no Goa/Psy Arena in Exposure Festival 2004. So this was a really special treat for the Psychadelic fans who may have felt they were overlooked earlier this year.
I don't think you can call it a 'bash' when only ~3% of your listening audience is enjoying it (ie. 700/28000). All we are saying is that it is different. I, and I think many people, would way rather a bash how it used to be rather than a delayed live set by an overrated commercial DJ. But I think it is just because it means more to us than the majority of the audience..
Unread Dec 9th, 2004, 10:55 AM   #113 (permalink)
DI Team

Yes what's different this year is that yours truly has now *40* regular show slots to handle each and every month! Compare November 2004 with November 2003 and you'll see the greatest show growth has been on the Trance channel. And for the past 3 weeks I've been especially busy getting our newest shows, for example, "Electronic Elements Radio" set up and off to a good start.

In addition, Ciacomix is celebrating HIS birthday this year with a live gig at Club Amnesia. So I'll be doing LIVE VIDEO from Amnesia 17 December and Irish's place on 18 December, with Ciacomix, Irish, and Mike Hunter. That's half the prior years' "DI birthday bash" DJs right there.

In spite of there being "only" 900 (not 700) listeners for the Goa/Psy bash special, there were quite a few complaint emails about the genre being "passed up" in this year's Exposure. So the idea of focusing on Goa/Psy this time was sound I think.

Unread Dec 9th, 2004, 11:29 AM   #114 (permalink)
-K-
Qualified Forum Addict

You know what's really amazing? I appreciate that you guys put on live shows. But because the community is so fractured, and I'm a huge fan of Classic Techno and Trance, I never make a point to listen.

I remember when events were only on the trance channel, and 90% of people really enjoyed the same type of music. But with new channels, and new people there are more appetites to please. Anyone doesn't get what they want, and I guess they write you guys a deluge of e-mails.

I have a confession to make. I haven't listened to the 'Trance' channel in fully one year. And I listen at least once a day sometimes for a little as a few minutes, sometime for 12 hours. The trance channel just doesn't contain any of the music I'm interested in anymore. I'll peruse other channels before the Trance channel, cause it just isn't the same anymore.

If the feeling in the forums is a discussion of how DI has changed. In Dance4Ever's case so much so that he left, what about the Trance channel? The Trance channel has changed enough that I just can't listen to it anymore. Am I the only one?
-K- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 9th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #115 (permalink)
avalanche research
Forum Staff

Send a message via MSN to endure

Quote:
Yes what's different this year is that yours truly has now *40* regular show slots to handle each and every month! Compare November 2004 with November 2003 and you'll see the greatest show growth has been on the Trance channel. And for the past 3 weeks I've been especially busy getting our newest shows, for example, "Electronic Elements Radio" set up and off to a good start.

In addition, Ciacomix is celebrating HIS birthday this year with a live gig at Club Amnesia. So I'll be doing LIVE VIDEO from Amnesia 17 December and Irish's place on 18 December, with Ciacomix, Irish, and Mike Hunter. That's half the prior years' "DI birthday bash" DJs right there.

In spite of there being "only" 900 (not 700) listeners for the Goa/Psy bash special, there were quite a few complaint emails about the genre being "passed up" in this year's Exposure. So the idea of focusing on Goa/Psy this time was sound I think.
It makes complete sense. We all take it for granted now, while we loved you guys so much for setting up special gigs back in the day. I am not saying that what is occurring now is a bad thing, just different. I personally don't like the shows that you guys have which is why I only listen to DI for 5 hours a month (oslo nights), but like you say things change! I am glad that it is working out for the best for you guys, because that is obviously what matters.
Unread Dec 9th, 2004, 12:13 PM   #116 (permalink)
DI Team

Quote:
Originally posted by endure
I personally don't like the shows that you guys have which is why I only listen to DI for 5 hours a month (oslo nights), but like you say things change!
Not to worry Endure, because we do have the Progressive channel up now and it IS going to include shows with the "Oslo Nights" sound. (In fact "Oslo Nights" is even going to re-run on Progressive starting later this month.)

DJ Irish has been putting in lots of effort lining up established and up-and-coming talent for Progressive. One PROBLEM he faces is that it's a new channel and the listener base is still growing - a bit of an uphill battle to "sell" to the shows until it gets a bigger critical mass.

Quote:
Originally posted by -K-
The Trance channel has changed enough that I just can't listen to it anymore. Am I the only one?
In fact almost nothing has changed in terms of the "sound" of the Trance channel - except that there are less vocal tracks on it. I've gone out of my way to maintain the same style, even tho the particular artists and tracks have changed over time.

What has happened is that people's tastes change over time, and especially when they're exposed to new stuff. Trance channel always played some Classic Techno (pre-1997) and Psy and Progressive stuff, and in fact, it still does. But now we have entire channels devoted to Classic Techno, Psy and Progressive.

This means more choices and better quality for the listeners, because now you have program directors focusing entirely on these other genres, in addition to the Armin/Ferry/PvD style of Trance.

Unread Dec 9th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #117 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:
What has happened is that people's tastes change over time, and especially when they're exposed to new stuff. Trance channel always played some Classic Techno (pre-1997) and Psy and Progressive stuff, and in fact, it still does. But now we have entire channels devoted to Classic Techno, Psy and Progressive.

This means more choices and better quality for the listeners, because now you have program directors focusing entirely on these other genres, in addition to the Armin/Ferry/PvD style of Trance.
Well, it's true, my tastes have changed over time. But not all that far, what is classic Trance now is closer to what was new Trance half a decade ago than the Trance channel itself is. The channel has made a shift. Armin/Ferry/PvD and their imitators aren't the only people making trance. But you wouldn't know it from the Trance channel.
Crazy Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 9th, 2004, 01:01 PM   #118 (permalink)
DI Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Carl
Well, it's true, my tastes have changed over time. But not all that far, what is classic Trance now is closer to what was new Trance half a decade ago than the Trance channel itself is.
Well the Classic Techno Trance channel crew limit their channel to 1997 and earlier. Such material never played on the Trance channel to any great extent. (In fact nearly all the 1997 and earlier tracks that were in play on Trance in 2000 are still there, because they are timeless classics and have not been voted off.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Carl
Armin/Ferry/PvD and their imitators aren't the only people making trance. But you wouldn't know it from the Trance channel.
That's absolutely correct - which is why we created Progressive, Goa/Psy, etc. to focus on them. Go back and re-read my prior post.

Unread Dec 9th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #119 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:
Well the Classic Techno Trance channel crew limit their channel to 1997 and earlier. Such material never played on the Trance channel to any great extent. (In fact nearly all the 1997 and earlier tracks that were in play on Trance in 2000 are still there, because they are timeless classics and have not been voted off.)

That's absolutely correct - which is why we created Progressive, Goa/Psy, etc. to focus on them. Go back and re-read my prior post.
I think your missing my point. I did a check, and the recent playlist of the trance channel has 2 listings added in 2001, 1 from 2002, and 6 from 2003. The content DID change.

Now, the content is allowed to change, but I think you missed earlier when I was talking about the fact that back in the day (2001-2002), 90% of people agreed on the music. And thus all shows could be run on the Trance channel and everything was good.

Thus the tradition of the DI Birthday Bash was inevitably Trance channel-centric.

What I'm trying to say is that I enjoyed the trance that played back in 2001-2002, and still do. But I won't find much of it (33% on the Trance channel). So I switched to Classic which is much closer to what I STILL like to hear.

Interestingly enough, in the time it took me to type this, two more songs played. Both added 2003.
Unread Dec 9th, 2004, 01:26 PM   #120 (permalink)
DI Team

Arrow Not missing the point!

That's true, lots of stuff has been added in 2003 and 2004. But it's all in the same style of what I added in 2001 and 2002. In fact, it mostly the very same artists just under different aliases. (Airbase alone invents 3 new names a year for himself!)

Now Classic Techno does not to my knowledge play anything from 2001-2. And I know the Trance channel never played much from 1997 and earlier, and most of the pre-1997 stuff is still there.

So I stand by my claim that tastes change - and in part due to what you are exposed to.