Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > Daily Life > The Chill Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jun 15th, 2003, 01:07 PM   #61 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

Send a message via ICQ to x-ray ted

Quote:
Originally posted by Pb

But, X-Ray Ted, why are you limiting yourself to Boston?
i'm not... however, if i start net-dating, i want to eventually meet the person in real life. it's much easier if you're in the same city, isn't it?
Unread Jun 15th, 2003, 03:18 PM   #62 (permalink)
ג'יימס

Quote:
Originally posted by x-ray ted

i'm not... however, if i start net-dating, i want to eventually meet the person in real life. it's much easier if you're in the same city, isn't it?
Yes, but it is also quite limiting. Afterall, I've communicated with quite a few people in #diradio, but have only had the motivation to pursue anything 'romantic' with one. We have many things in common. MANY.
When we did meet, things 'clicked' right away, for both of us.
James (Jiimz) is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 15th, 2003, 03:24 PM   #63 (permalink)
Sassy

Quote:
Originally posted by Jiimz

Yes, but it is also quite limiting. Afterall, I've communicated with quite a few people in #diradio, but have only had the motivation to pursue anything 'romantic' with one. We have many things in common. MANY.
When we did meet, things 'clicked' right away, for both of us.
i love how he keeps advertising the room and Jiimz...I DIDNT KNOW YOU TWO MET!!! you MUST PM me in the chat asap and tell me about it. right NOW mister.
pinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 15th, 2003, 03:35 PM   #64 (permalink)
ג'יימס

Quote:
Originally posted by PiNkPiXiE

i love how he keeps advertising the room and Jiimz...I DIDNT KNOW YOU TWO MET!!! you MUST PM me in the chat asap and tell me about it. right NOW mister.
oO
Now I'm in trouble
hrmm, very very busy here, lot's to do, mhrm - sorry PiNkPiXiE

Umm, do you think one of the moderators will delete my posts if I keep spamming for the chat? I'd better watch out
Unread Jun 15th, 2003, 03:54 PM   #65 (permalink)
Sassy

Quote:

oO
Now I'm in trouble
hrmm, very very busy here, lot's to do, mhrm - sorry PiNkPiXiE

Umm, do you think one of the moderators will delete my posts if I keep spamming for the chat? I'd better watch out

muahahahahaha!!!
Unread Jun 15th, 2003, 05:16 PM   #66 (permalink)
ג'יימס

Quote:
Originally posted by Pb

I've heard of horror stories, too. I think it is the same way in real-life -- just that you _might_ be able to see through the deception easier.
This is true, as you have the benefits of instant feedback in a face to face relationship, as well as body language and experience. I do think that if you ask the right questions and find the responses coming back in a timely manner, you can get a fairly accurate idea of somones psyche.
And of course, if you do meet up, bring a friend as a bodyguard, just in case
Unread Jun 15th, 2003, 05:26 PM   #67 (permalink)
ג'יימס

Quote:
Originally posted by x-ray ted
i've tried the internet relationships once and i've failed...
...but i would give it one more shot and try to see whether it works on the second time...
Hrmm, only one more shot?
How many face to face relationships have you had in the past that didn't work out? I'm sure it's more than two.
I always try to keep a positive attitude, no matter how many times it doesn't come to fruition.
And btw, who doesn't want to date the DJ?
Unread Jun 15th, 2003, 05:30 PM   #68 (permalink)
Sassy

Quote:

hush you.
Unread Jun 15th, 2003, 06:51 PM   #69 (permalink)
Pb
IRC Crew

Quote:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 15th, 2003, 07:54 PM   #70 (permalink)
Pb
IRC Crew

Quote:
This is true, as you have the benefits of instant feedback in a face to face relationship, as well as body language and experience. I do think that if you ask the right questions and find the responses coming back in a timely manner, you can get a fairly accurate idea of somones psyche.
Unless they are 'professionals'. Anyway, at the least, you can determine the gender of who you're speaking to if it's face to face, usually. ^_-
Unread Jun 15th, 2003, 08:12 PM   #71 (permalink)
ג'יימס

Quote:
Originally posted by Pb

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Ari
Unread Jun 15th, 2003, 08:15 PM   #72 (permalink)
ג'יימס

Quote:
Originally posted by Pb
Anyway, at the least, you can determine the gender of who you're speaking to if it's face to face, usually. ^_-
Yes, imagine my relief when I saw that it was a beautiful woman
Unread Jun 15th, 2003, 09:12 PM   #73 (permalink)
Qualified Forum Addict

"I'm not gunna get married... My dad always said, why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"
-Red vs Blue
http://www.di.fm/chat/ - Online Chat Room
Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 15th, 2003, 09:16 PM   #74 (permalink)
Kel
IRC Crew

Send a message via AIM to Kel Send a message via MSN to Kel Send a message via Skype™ to Kel

I met my bf online, not necesarily on DI though. ^.^ I met ~A~ bf on DI two years ago when I started out in the chatroom.
*shrugs*
Unread Jun 15th, 2003, 11:45 PM   #75 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to DJ Dr Suess

Quote:

Word yo. We rule!!!!
http://www.allstarcrew.com
DJ Dr Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 15th, 2003, 11:55 PM   #76 (permalink)
ג'יימס

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgoth
"I'm not gunna get married... My dad always said, why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"
-Red vs Blue
I suppose it depends on the kind of milk you are looking for.

Sometimes the milk can be tainted too.
Unread Jun 16th, 2003, 12:57 AM   #77 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Pb

I've heard of horror stories, too. I think it is the same way in real-life -- just that you _might_ be able to see through the deception easier.
Not always true.

I have a friend who met a guy at her job. They started dating and about a year after they met, they moved in together. They lived together for another 6 months before they got married.

Then she found out that there were certain things that he hid from her that she believes is important. They are still together (mainly because neither one believe in divorce), but they are constantly fighting about most of the stuff he kept from her for 1 1/2 yrs.

Me, I did meet a guy online (not thru DI tho). But after we went out a few times, we decided that it wouldn't work and we parted on friendly terms. So I think it's possible to meet people online. True, you do need to be careful nowadays, but not every1 on the internet is a nutcase.

Fight hate. Teach Tolerance. Go to: http://www.tolerance.org Campaign for Tolerance
cteddiesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 16th, 2003, 07:17 AM   #78 (permalink)
Pb
IRC Crew

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgoth
-Red vs Blue
That's true - if you are only looking for milk. But if you treat women like cows, be prepared to be treated like one, too.

Last edited by Pb : Jun 16th, 2003 at 07:23 AM.
Unread Jun 16th, 2003, 07:43 AM   #79 (permalink)
maz
"Banned Useless Poster"
(Forums Moderator)

Send a message via ICQ to maz Send a message via AIM to maz Send a message via MSN to maz Send a message via Yahoo to maz Send a message via Skype™ to maz

I'll put my $0.02 in about online dating. I've done it once and I'll never do it again. It was apparently too easy for her to hide the fact she was with other people online rather than in real life. Screw that.

I won't do a long distance relationship, they hurt too much. When you have somebody you can see every day, or almost every day nothing can beat that.

There's also the fact that I won't move from where I'm at for a little internet tramp Just my opinion though.

Here's a good way to look at this: http://www.ninjagear.net/popup_image.php?pID=80

-maz
maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 16th, 2003, 12:30 PM   #80 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

Send a message via ICQ to x-ray ted

Quote:

Hrmm, only one more shot?
How many face to face relationships have you had in the past that didn't work out? I'm sure it's more than two.
I always try to keep a positive attitude, no matter how many times it doesn't come to fruition.
you see, in real-life relationship you have what is called "timing". if you have the sense of timing (when to ask her out, when to say the joke, when to say the compliment), you can succeed in a relationship very rapidly. you see her, you like her appearance, you ask for the phone number, the next day you call and set up a date. it's all chit-chat and different questions to know each other better. if everything's fine, the next two-three dates involve going to the movies, kissing, etc. etc... then you have sex (or going that way slow, if she's afraid or a virgin or whatever). there you have a girlfriend: you like her looks, you like her character, you two click. so in a week you have a great relationship. it can last for a week, a month or for years. it all depends on you two. if she and you are both not stupid youthful romantic kids, you both understand that the relationship doesn't impose any promises, commitment or thoughts about the future, kids, etc., etc... see, when i was 16, i was dumb enough to date a girl for 2.5 years... we were all that romantic, thinking about getting married and all shit like that. i've learnt a lot from that relationship, and now i tend to look for a girl who doesn't see a husband in me in the first place. we start a relationship and we see where it goes from there, not making any plans farther than for tomorrow. and surprisingly enough, all scum goes away: no jealosy, no feeling of being tied...

and the net relationships are exactly like that 2.5 years romantic relationship at a young age: first you spend weeks in the chats, lying all the way about how good you are, picking the best pictures of yours (where you don't even nearly look like you look in your everyday life), and eventually spending hours a day on a computer chatting (= spending time worthless) just to set up a first date, which you can do in five minutes in the real life. and then you find out that the person not only doesn't look like on the pictures, but also has quite a different personality from what she's been writing. and all fails... or, if otherwise, you two click, but then again, it imposes the long-term relationship because you already spent weeks talking to her... and of course you were dumb enough to tell her "i love you" in chat, which basically means commiting to a person you don't even know.

i think i've described it pretty close... there are always exceptions (yeah, two happy couples out of 1000 broken hearts - broken by their own stupidity, unnecessary assumptions and blind trust to nothing but a bunch of keyboard punches on the internet), but the general idea is that internet relationships are mostly a waste of time.

i've had unsuccessful real-life relations a number of times, but it is much easier to get over it when you had been knowing a person for two days and much harder - when for two months.

and i don't go aroung in the t-shirt saying "I AM A DJ, DATE ME, NOW!!!", so many girls had yet to find out but the main idea was that they first liked me for my character, and then for my so-called "coolness" (which doesn't really exist) of being a dj.

sorry for a long post