Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > Daily Life > The Chill Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jun 6th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Unhappy Proud citizen or bored citizen?

So I just got back from Spain (Tenerife) where I was working for six months. I simply loved it there, but had to go back to Sweden to study for three friggin years (audio engineering though, which is good). I have already decided that after my studies I'm going to move to Spain since my spanish is good enough.

Anyway I constantly find myself comparing Sweden to Spain, resulting in a yearning for Spain, mainly because of Sweden's lack of culture (our culture basically consists of getting wasted). We have a lot of good things, but it always feels like everything that matters in this country is money and status. There's too little friendliness and love. Everything in you read in the papers is about looks, fitness and improving your sex life. Maybe it's the world trend these days.

I'm not patriotic, and many swedes probably aren't, because we don't have a modern history of wars and/or conflicts, which would result in a stronger love and pride for the country. There's an emptiness.

Anyway does anyone recognize this type of feelings for your home country? Glorifying other countries? The grass is always greener...? Do you ever think about moving to a different country or place, where things appear to be better?

edit: My god, I actually wrote this on the national day of Sweden, haha. Apologies to all swedes.

Last edited by Vintgrim : Jun 6th, 2009 at 06:27 AM.
Vintgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 6th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tech House

Send a message via AIM to Mike Louth Send a message via MSN to Mike Louth Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Louth

I think a lot of people have gripes about their own countries, it's only natural.

Grass is greener etc.

"A forum post should be like a skirt; long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting."
Mike Louth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 6th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to DJ Stev Send a message via MSN to DJ Stev

lol what u descrbed sounds like typicl teenage years for kids int he US (gtting wasted, all about looking good caring what other people think, sex) and alot with adult life here too. thats what u see on our tabloids and magazines for lonely housewife's.

and the us is always looking for help in the middle east if u want a war to help improve patriotism

http://www.mixcloud.com/311Musik/

Dj mixes by di.fm forum residents dj mel wildcatfball bonovoxx and dj stev
DJ Stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 6th, 2009, 09:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintgrim View Post
So I just got back from Spain (Tenerife) where I was working for six months. I simply loved it there, but had to go back to Sweden to study for three friggin years (audio engineering though, which is good). I have already decided that after my studies I'm going to move to Spain since my spanish is good enough.

Anyway I constantly find myself comparing Sweden to Spain, resulting in a yearning for Spain, mainly because of Sweden's lack of culture (our culture basically consists of getting wasted). We have a lot of good things, but it always feels like everything that matters in this country is money and status. There's too little friendliness and love. Everything in you read in the papers is about looks, fitness and improving your sex life. Maybe it's the world trend these days.

I'm not patriotic, and many swedes probably aren't, because we don't have a modern history of wars and/or conflicts, which would result in a stronger love and pride for the country. There's an emptiness.

Anyway does anyone recognize this type of feelings for your home country? Glorifying other countries? The grass is always greener...? Do you ever think about moving to a different country or place, where things appear to be better?

edit: My god, I actually wrote this on the national day of Sweden, haha. Apologies to all swedes.
Welcome to the shit It's like that everywhere.
- I float away...
- You are my guide, You are my light, You take me to a place where i can shine
DJ_Serg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 6th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Eyes for the Profane

Send a message via AIM to translucent
Thumbs down Current State of THE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Serg View Post
Welcome to the shit It's like that everywhere.
And HERE'S WHY.....

This is all by design folks. Most of the woes of the 21st century were all planned throughout the 20th century by The Powers That Be or the New World Order if you will(Elitist Round Tables, The Brotherhood, Council on Foreign Relations, Trilateral Commission, Bilderberg group, United Nations, European Union, etc).

Wake up to reality, it stings at first... I just bought some sunglasses!

“I believe that any man without principles that he is ready and willing to die for at any given moment is already dead and is of no use or consequence whatsoever.”
—William Cooper
translucent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 28th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to DJ Stev Send a message via MSN to DJ Stev

Quote:
Originally Posted by translucent View Post
And HERE'S WHY.....

This is all by design folks. Most of the woes of the 21st century were all planned throughout the 20th century by The Powers That Be or the New World Order if you will(Elitist Round Tables, The Brotherhood, Council on Foreign Relations, Trilateral Commission, Bilderberg group, United Nations, European Union, etc).

Wake up to reality, it stings at first... I just bought some sunglasses!
hahahhahahaha i dont know why i never saw this post before. lol @ good times

http://www.mixcloud.com/311Musik/

Dj mixes by di.fm forum residents dj mel wildcatfball bonovoxx and dj stev
DJ Stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 28th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Daydreaming Globetrotter

^ what, you didnt appreciate him bashing DI members at another forum and enlisting help from members of that site to join him in 'Operation Wake Up DI'?!

Anyhoo to the OP I completely agree and know how you're feeling. The longing for something different, something better, something DEEPER. The superficiality of this country grows more intolerable as the months go by, yet there is seemingly no escape from it. At least not here. Which is why I wish totravel again, to experience somewhere else for awhile, to experience a country with more depth. There is so much that is good about where I live, there's a lot of bad too - no country is perfect anywhere - but sometimes you need a change just for a little while.

why can't you study engineering in Spain?

music is my 1st love ~ edm 4 life

All aboard travelling into a trancetastic future -d_o & I

Keep the peace flowing, the love growing, the unity going

Let the music take control of your body and your soul
travelyogatrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 28th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Qualified Forum Addict

Send a message via MSN to djsyko

I would prefer to live in your country if all u have to worry about is feeling emptiness. Now I don't mean that to sound bad, but I come from Northern Ireland which was in bad shape for 30+ years. It seems to be improving until you hear every other evening that someone has ben stabbed to death or shot, mugged, raped, burgled.

This country isn't the best, we're supposed to be part of Great Britain, but it only seems we are when it suits the rest of Britain, the rest of the time we're Irish...

Is cost of living cheap in Sweden, and is there many jobs.. It's a country have always wanted to visit...

Don't get me wrong, I love our wee country when things are going ok, I love parts of our history (not the violence but the natural stuff) and I love our landmarks etc, but we have to brace ourselves yet again, as the 12th of July is nearly upon us, and yet again, no doubt there will be riots all over the place, just like always.
Unread Jul 1st, 2009, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Addict

I came from two strong cultures, Australian and Cantonese Chinese. I was born in Guangzhou but moved here to Sydney when I was 9. I can't say the other is better than the other cause I adore the culture I grew up and the culture I am having now. I'm a proud citizen of both countries.
john_jaded is offline   Reply With Quote