Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > Daily Life > The Chill Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How often do you suppress a sneeze?
Often 10 18.18%
Sometimes 18 32.73%
Rarely 13 23.64%
Never 14 25.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread May 21st, 2003, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
WIA

Default Suppressing a Sneeze

Source
Quote:
...suppressing a sneeze can be harmful, particularly to your ears....

A sneeze is actually a protective mechanism -- it's the body's way of quickly expelling dust, pollen, germs, or other irritants that can harm the lungs. The nose acts as the front door to the respiratory system. A network of nerves lines the mucous membranes, which line the nose, making the nostrils highly sensitive to foreign objects or irritants.

When these nerves sense the presence of an irritant, they send an instant signal to the respiratory center in the brain, which, in turn, signals the breathing muscles to inhale. The muscles then close the airways, and the air pressure in the lungs rises. When this pressure reaches a critical point, the airways open with an explosive release that carries everything in its way up and out of the airways and nose.

Studies have found that the air expelled during a sneeze travels at an amazing 100 miles per hour, and spews out up to 5,000 droplets, which may be propelled up to 12 feet in a single sneeze. In fact, germs carried by these droplets are how many illnesses are spread. To keep from passing droplets saturated with cold or flu viruses to others, cover your nose and mouth when sneezing or coughing, and wash your hands frequently.

By clamping your mouth closed an pinching your nose shut, you force the "sneeze" into the eustachian tube (which connects the back of the throat to the middle ear) and then to your eardrum. Sneeze strong enough, and you could rupture an eardrum, causing acute pain, infection, bleeding, and even hearing loss. Thank goodness this is harder to do than it sounds; even if you have a firm grip on your nose, your mouth will open. Even if you are successful in squelching a sneeze, it's only a matter of time before the impulse hits again; as long as the nose believes something is trapped in it, the urge to sneeze will continue.

If the urge to sneeze comes at an inconvenient moment, try pushing your index finger into the dimple above your upper lip. Pressure on the nerve there makes the urge to sneeze recede for a few moments, until you can get a tissue.

Sometimes looking at a bright light or walking outdoors in the sunshine can trigger a sneeze. Called the photic-sneeze reflex, scientists are not sure why it occurs, but according to various studies, about 25% of people experience this reaction.
Hmm... I was going to make a thread in which I'd ask how you would go about suppressing a sneeze. When I found this, I decided to kill two birds with one stone. ^_^

I'm working backstage for my school production of "West Side Story" and I had to sneeze during practice. To prevent it from happening again, I learned the tried and true method described in the article. Now that I know how to temporarily hold back a sneeze and the dangers it poses, I can go on.

However, Jiimz's interesting fact from the internet worries me...
Quote:
Jiimz posted
If you try to suppress a sneeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your head or neck and die.
Hehe.

How often do YOU suppress a sneeze?
How do you do it?
Markaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 21st, 2003, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to DJ Dr Suess

I don't suppress a sneeze for the reasons the article listed....
http://www.allstarcrew.com
DJ Dr Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 21st, 2003, 03:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
resident DI alcoholic

I rarely do, unless I'm somewhere very quiet or I dont have anything to sneeze onto (like my sleeve)... Oh and I always sneeze when I go outside into the sun. I think it has something to do with your optical nerves.
Unread May 21st, 2003, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to s0ft

i try not to suppress, but it just happens. i havnt gotten hurt or anything tho.

[Myspace] http://www.myspace.com/falloffthefloor
[WaxDJ] http://waxdj.com/djs/4354/
s0ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 21st, 2003, 04:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
DI Trance Addict

Send a message via AIM to DJ Xenomorph

i don't suppress sneezes, when i have to let one rip, i just let it rip
Unread May 21st, 2003, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
resident DI alcoholic

I wonder if there are any negative adverse effects if you suppress your farts. Hmmm...
Unread May 21st, 2003, 07:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to Darkhorse_17
Cool

not a very suppressive person, and sneezes being no exception. I have allergies, so sneezing is a nearly daily occurence to me - I take no notice of it most of the time. I cover, but don't suppress.

An it hurt no one, do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. - Alestair Crowley

Tolerance? Exodus 22:18
Darkhorse_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 21st, 2003, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via ICQ to oldman Send a message via AIM to oldman Send a message via Yahoo to oldman

I suppress my sneezes, i'll try to keep this in mind, thanks mark, you just might have saved my life
Unread May 21st, 2003, 08:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to AlieNatioN Send a message via Yahoo to AlieNatioN

I supress my sneezes often, but sometimes the sneeze is just too violent.
Unread May 21st, 2003, 09:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
WIA

Quote:
Originally posted by lucid
I wonder if there are any negative adverse effects if you suppress your farts. Hmmm...
From IRC:
Quote:
<markogogo> !explain flatulence
<Ultimator> flatulence == Contains odourless gases, such as nitrogen, carbon dioxide, oxygen, and methane, but it also contains nasty hydrogen sulfide, which causes the smell. Some of those gases are flammable so you can, in fact, burn farts. Yes, you can set them aflame. It is not a myth, and a great way to impress the girls too... you do know I'm joking, right?
My guess is that you don't want some of those chemicals stuck in your colon. I think that if you suppress a fart only sometimes, it won't kill you. My advice is if you need to pass gas, do it discreetly.
Quote:
Originally posted by oldman
I suppress my sneezes, i'll try to keep this in mind, thanks mark, you just might have saved my life
And you just might be the pilot of the airplane that I may eventually take!

Last edited by Markaci : May 21st, 2003 at 09:22 PM.
Markaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 21st, 2003, 09:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Qualified Forum Addict

im one of those people who sneeze in sunlight
people always say to me somehting like "are you ok"
and i would just say, "yeah its because of the sun"
and then they look at me weird
HHH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 21st, 2003, 11:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to StreetDreamsX

i pretty much sneeze wen it comes out but i have a bad habit of holding my nose wen i do it.
Unread May 22nd, 2003, 05:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

I can usually suppress a sneeze when I have to (unless I have a bad cold), but not using the method above.

If I feel a sneeze coming it usually comes from either one nostril or the other, never both. When I can feel this happening and I want to stop it, I just have to press firmly on that nostril with my finger for a few seconds, and the sensation usually disappears - sneeze averted! If I can still feel it coming I might need to wiggle my finger a bit and press a bit firmer and that usually does the trick. I guess this tricks my nose into thinking that there's no longer an irritation that needs to be expelled. This works about 95% of the time!

The other 5%, I don't bother trying to stop it or hold it back by holding my breath or anything, I just like to annoy the people around me by making the most horrendous noise possible. Be loud, be proud
Unread May 22nd, 2003, 12:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

I try not to supress sneezes....but if I feel like I'm gonna sneeze, sometimes I put my tounge on the roof of my mouth....it makes it go away. Try it
Unread May 22nd, 2003, 12:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
spy
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to spy Send a message via Yahoo to spy

as long as you have a kleenex or something it's great to sneeze. The after-feeling is so fresh.

But that's all good to know
Unread May 22nd, 2003, 12:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by lucid
You'll blow up like a balloon. Bigger, bigger untill...

OK. Let me put it this way. Your city (and probably the state) will get to celibrate The Fourth Of July a whole lot earlier this year.
chisbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 22nd, 2003, 01:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
cammie

i dont supress a sneeze either. when i feel one coming i always grab a kleenex (or my husband's shirt, lol).
i always close my eyes when i sneeze. i notice that a lotta ppl do too so i was wondering, if ya dont close ur eyes, will the force of the sneeze blow ur eyeballs out? (sry if that sounds stupid but i wuld like to know)
Unread May 22nd, 2003, 01:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Send a message via AIM to Neurozine

Try telling the copper who pulls you over for runnning a red light that you were sneezing.. holding it in or not, you have to close your eyes...

I used the line in UK and US..

cheers

neuozIne
Neurozine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 22nd, 2003, 03:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
DI Trance Addict

Send a message via AIM to DJ Xenomorph

Quote:
Originally posted by cammie

i always close my eyes when i sneeze. i notice that a lotta ppl do too so i was wondering, if ya dont close ur eyes, will the force of the sneeze blow ur eyeballs out? (sry if that sounds stupid but i wuld like to know)
i was thinking the same thing just now...lol

but is it even physically possible to sneeze with your eyes open? anyone tried it yet?
Unread May 23rd, 2003, 12:34 AM   #20 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to TTBoy
Default Re: Suppressing a Sneeze

Quote:
Originally posted by markogogo
SourceHmm... I was going to make a thread in which I'd ask how you would go about suppressing a sneeze. When I found this, I decided to kill two birds with one stone. ^_^

I'm working backstage for my school production of "West Side Story" and I had to sneeze during practice. To prevent it from happening again, I learned the tried and true method described in the article. Now that I know how to temporarily hold back a sneeze and the dangers it poses, I can go on.

However, Jiimz's interesting fact from the internet worries me... Hehe.

How often do YOU suppress a sneeze?
How do you do it?
cmon dude, everyone love a good sneezegasm....nothing beats them...