Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > General Discussion > The DJ Booth
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Mar 26th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Arrow Free Version Of Mixed In Key (Harmonic Mixing Program)

Dear All,

A free version of Mixed In Key is now available for download. Mixed In Key is a Windows application that finds the musical key of songs for musicians and professional DJs. Mixed In Key helps users mix songs harmonically, with no clashing vocals and harmonic elements.

You can download a free version here:
http://www.mixedinkey.com/downloads.aspx

Some supported features:
  • Analyze all .WAV files quickly and easily
  • Create browsable collections, drag-and-drop supported
  • Display harmonically-compatible song combinations
  • Read our tutorial on harmonic mixing
  • Save your last 10 song results into your collection

Tutorial #1 "Harmonic Mixing using Camelot Notation"

Harmonic Mixing is a technique that I use to transition between songs while I am DJ'ing. I learned this technique from watching DJ Sasha, Armin Van Burren and Miguel Migs. Many famous DJs currently use harmonic mixing to supplement their beatmatching technique. Although harmonic mixing seems complicated at first, it is actually very simple.

Harmonic mixing is a process of mixing between harmonically compatible songs. When you play the same song back-to-back, the mix will always sound pleasant because the key and the tempo are the same. When you play a Madonna vocal in D major on top of a Kylie Minogue vocal in B major, this could get a little sour. Madonna's vocal is not in the same key as Kylie Minogue. Most people can often tell when something is out of tune, especially if it's two singers.

Imagine that Kylie and Madonna are recording together in the same studio. They perform a duet -- Madonna sings in a low voice and Kylie sings in a high voice, but in the same key, perhaps D major. Both artists sound great together. So why don't duets like these work in a club, but succeed in the music studio?

In Western music, there are only 24 possible keys. In the first instance, the two keys, D major and B major, do not mix harmonically. In the studio scenario the two vocals in the duet complement each other because they are in the same key. By knowing the key of the song, you can mix it harmonically with other songs once you understand Camelot Notation.

Camelot Notation tells you which keys will result in harmonic mixes. Using Mixed in Key, you can find the key of each song and translate it to the corresponding Camelot code. With Madonna and Kylie studio duet in D major, the corresponding code would be 10B. But how do you know which mixes are harmonic?

Let's stay with our Madonna and Kylie studio duet in 10B. This key is harmonically compatible with the same key, 10B, the key above it, 11B, and the key below, 9B. Look at the chart like a watch and compare the keys to hours. Harmonically compatible mixes are only at the same hour, one hour ahead, and one hour behind. If you changed the studio duet to match Kylie's original B major vocal, it would become 1B. This would mix harmonically with 12B, 1B and 2B.

Using this method does not require you to stay in the same key for the entire night. Movement around the Camelot circle can be done one step at a time. You can also move between the inner and outer circle, as long as you stay in the same digit or hour. For example, 2A and 2B are harmonically compatible. You can mix between 2A and 2B and start moving along the outer circle. Your next mix can move back down to 2A, remain in 2B, or move to either 1B or 3B.

This traversal of the circle makes every mix harmonic. You can play songs in different keys, find harmonically matching acapellas and remain 100% in key. Mixed In Key supports the Camelot Notation. It can detect the exact key of every .MP3 and .WAV song. Writing these Camelot key next to your CD sleeves or vinyl sleeves can tell you quickly which songs go well together.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Take care,
Yakov
djyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 27th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

Send a message via MSN to PhineasFreak

i never knew what this was called till i used mixmeister, but i've always instinctively followed it - you can't fault it. using stuff that isn't in an identical key but is complimentary not only allows you to bridge the gap from one key to another without serious pitch shifting, but also allows for you to really alter the mood of a tune or make very unusual mashups. the creative possibilities really expand when you start playing with this...

New Psy-Dub remix!
http://www.ubetoo.com/psytrance/46349
PhineasFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 27th, 2006, 01:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Vocal Trance Addict
DI Crew Moderator

Send a message via AIM to djGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyakov
Some supported features:
  • Analyze all .WAV files quickly and easily
  • Create browsable collections, drag-and-drop supported
  • Display harmonically-compatible song combinations
  • Read our tutorial on harmonic mixing
  • Save your last 10 song results into your collection
Does it support MP3?

Next Show: Choon in for VOT #108 (April 15) + Voices Of Spring 2014 (April 22) @ 12PM-5PM US EST

♪ www.GenerationTrance.com ♪
djGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 27th, 2006, 04:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

that's weird - i posted an answer and it never appeared. it'll probably turn somewhere else...

the blurb on the website says yes, it does support mp3s

New Psy-Dub remix!
Unread Mar 27th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Send a message via MSN to DI Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by djGT
Does it support MP3?
I downloaded it, but didn't play with it too much last night. I think the demo only does .wav.
DI Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 27th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

I mean, it's a really nice program. Very well layed out, but in a way it's useless since minor adjustments in pitch would change the key.
DJ_Serg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 27th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Vocal Trance Addict
DI Crew Moderator

Send a message via AIM to djGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Serg
I mean, it's a really nice program. Very well layed out, but in a way it's useless since minor adjustments in pitch would change the key.
unless you use CD players that have a key lock feature.

Next Show: Choon in for VOT #108 (April 15) + Voices Of Spring 2014 (April 22) @ 12PM-5PM US EST

♪ www.GenerationTrance.com ♪
djGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 27th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Quote:
Thank you So far, feedback has been very positive. A lot of people are enjoying it and are getting great results. There are some cool testimonials posted on the Mixed In Key blog: http://mixedinkey.typepad.com

As djGT mentioned above, most CD decks can compensate for the key difference. Plus, it is better to mix slightly out-of-key due to pitch than to mix completely off-key. It's much more noticable when songs don't go together at all.

Thanks,
Yakov
Unread Mar 27th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via MSN to Glassball

Cool.. ill try this product out
Thanks

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Glassball.DJ
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/glassball-psy
Glassball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 27th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Well after installing i got this:

"To run this application, you must first install one of the following versions of the .Net Framework:
v2.0.50727
Contact your application publisher for instructions about obtaining the appropriate version of the .Net Framework"

I installed the latest .Net Framework thingy and it still gives me the same thing.

Unread Mar 27th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance2MyTrance
Well after installing i got this:

"To run this application, you must first install one of the following versions of the .Net Framework:
v2.0.50727
Contact your application publisher for instructions about obtaining the appropriate version of the .Net Framework"

I installed the latest .Net Framework thingy and it still gives me the same thing.
Hi,

Did you install the .NET Framework 2.0 version from http://www.mixedinkey.com/Downloads.aspx ?

I haven't heard about any problems, so I assume that it should work. We're using a very standard Microsoft .NET installation. Please send me an e-mail at contact@mixedinkey.com if you would like further assistance.
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Quote:
If you're on vinyl a pitch change of +/- about 3% is enough to put it off key. If it's less than that then you'll get away with it. Remember that changing the pitch can push tracks that would normally clash in to key too (so if you had an F# and pitched it up 3%, it would be closer to G). It does make your mixing sound loads better if you take account of key - I've been doing it pretty much since the beginning.

The camelot system is good - and if you know what you're doing, you can be even more creative with keys than just staying within the standard compatible keys.

Last edited by skyran : Mar 28th, 2006 at 10:03 AM.
skyran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to ChEeZeBaLL

if you organized your tracks by key and BPM that would make everything work out perfectly. You'd just need a lot of tracks at the near same bpm and in the same key.
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChEeZeBaLL
if you organized your tracks by key and BPM that would make everything work out perfectly. You'd just need a lot of tracks at the near same bpm and in the same key.
I tried that but it doesn't work! Well if does most of the time but what happens with albums? I can't file those records under 1 key
skyran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 28th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyakov
Hi,

Did you install the .NET Framework 2.0 version from http://www.mixedinkey.com/Downloads.aspx ?

I haven't heard about any problems, so I assume that it should work. We're using a very standard Microsoft .NET installation. Please send me an e-mail at contact@mixedinkey.com if you would like further assistance.
I got it from a different site. I'll try your site.

Unread Mar 29th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

well, it seemed to be able to do everything mixmeister can, but like mixmeister, when given john williams "raiders march" from raiders of the lost ark played by the boston pops it could hack the constant tempo and key changes at default settings. some stuffs just to complicated without quite a bit of fiddling.

but for bog standard EDM at constant BPM and no/basic key changes it worked fine.

New Psy-Dub remix!
Unread Mar 29th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

I dunno, i may actually buy it when i'll have the time to compare it with mix meister and RE. I have a C++ code of an algorithm that does the same thing. I may actually try to compile it and see how similar the results would get
DJ_Serg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 29th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Alright! It works now. Thanks for the help. I haven't had much time to play around with it yet. I'll do that today.

Unread Mar 30th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Cool, tell me how it goes. The next version is going to have drag-and-drop support for Ableton and many other new features.