Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > General Discussion > The DJ Booth
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Jun 21st, 2009, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

Default music genre for learning how to beatmatch

I am using uplifting trance to learn how to beatmatch and I am sensing that house music would be better for me. I want to do long blends and from what I learned from dj tutor is trance is for short blends. So I think I will mix house and just listen to trance. and then when I am good then give trance a try. I bet you guys will say yeah just go buy some house tracks you love and just go practice.
Dj makena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 21st, 2009, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cooking Up A Mix
Forum Staff

lower BPM music is not necessarily easier to beatmatch, it just takes practice with whatever genre you chose to mix

if you watched the dj tutor you know that what will help you most of all is an understanding of the structure of the EDM tracks and if counting the beats until you get an "ear" for it than start by doing that, since you didn't say if you use software or hardware i can suggest trying the counting in VDj, as you will get a visual too of the beats too

I Use Multi-Million Dollar Satellites to Find Tupperware in the Woods :D
all my sets at my ever W.I.P. website --> http://www.t4e.nu/
trance4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 21st, 2009, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to DJ Stev Send a message via MSN to DJ Stev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj makena View Post
I want to do long blends and from what I learned from dj tutor is trance is for short blends.
nope trance is actually better with long blends cause u got like 2 to 3 minutes of intro and outro. house u got like 1 to 2 minutes.

Quote:
I bet you guys will say yeah just go buy some house tracks you love and just go practice.
yeah what else would we say. thats how every one of us got beatmatching down. if u want to mix that badly and just cant get beatmatching u should just get a program that does it for you.

http://www.mixcloud.com/311Musik/

Dj mixes by di.fm forum residents dj mel wildcatfball bonovoxx and dj stev
DJ Stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 21st, 2009, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin with Buddah
Forum Moderator

A good beat matcher is one who has spent hours spinning everyday for years.
Unread Jun 21st, 2009, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

Okay so I just stick with trance.
Unread Jun 21st, 2009, 10:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin with Buddah
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Okay so I just stick with trance.
To me that's kind of a depressing outlook just spinning trance. You should try all kinds of edm music to challenge yourself. Try some goa and psy trance too!!!
Unread Jun 21st, 2009, 11:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Groove View Post
Yes, I've been doing it for 3+ years and I've JUST started becoming comfortable and confidant in my skills.

As much as I wish I could have learned it overnight, it doesn't work that way. You gotta practice until you hate it and then, when you hate it, you'll start to love it again and that's when you realize how good you've become, that's how it worked with me. I mean I never ever hated the music I was spinning, just beat matching. Even if you use software that beat-matches for you, you're still gonna hafta learn when to drop a track and how to make it sound fluid too.

Mix what you love though, I started mixing freaking JAMAICAN DUB MUSIC when I first started because my friends and I wanted a dub smoke session mix and I inherited dub records from my gramps so I had them lying around. I just shoddily mixed them together and my friends loved it and my love started. I don't mix straight-dub anymore but it really gave me passion to keep going. If I didn't like the music I was spinning I wouldn't have stuck to beat-matching as much as I did.

Don't stick to just trance if you enjoy other genres, just don't spin stuff you wouldn't listen to!

www.twitter.com/sal_o_mon
salomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 22nd, 2009, 01:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

Send a message via MSN to Tails

I try to mix and beatmatch anything from gabber to disco, it's not that hard or much different either way, you just have different times and places for the mixing. Honestly, I agree with Deadly Groove, that's a rather depressing outlook on EDM.
Unread Jun 22nd, 2009, 02:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

I have beatmatch alost done. I thought using a different type of music would help me learn how beatmatch. next after I learn how to beatmatch what is the next step other them using the channel faders?
Unread Jun 22nd, 2009, 08:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to DJ Stev Send a message via MSN to DJ Stev

Quote:
I have beatmatch alost done. I thought using a different type of music would help me learn how beatmatch. next after I learn how to beatmatch what is the next step other them using the channel faders?
next u need to learn about bars and phrases. and how to tell when each one starts (easiest to hear in trance imo) and tr to mix your songs at the beginning of a phrase. after that u should work on eqing but make sure u got beat matching down its the most important part

http://www.mixcloud.com/311Musik/

Dj mixes by di.fm forum residents dj mel wildcatfball bonovoxx and dj stev
DJ Stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 22nd, 2009, 08:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Quote:
I am using uplifting trance to learn how to beatmatch and I am sensing that house music would be better for me. I want to do long blends and from what I learned from dj tutor is trance is for short blends. So I think I will mix house and just listen to trance. and then when I am good then give trance a try. I bet you guys will say yeah just go buy some house tracks you love and just go practice.
It all depends how comfortable you are with your genre. I learned on house/Club stuff. The intro's on most of the tracks are long enough that you can get the beat matched with time to spare. I haven't tried trance so I can't really comment on it.

Just practice and you will get it. And don't worry if you make mistakes after you've got the beatmatching. It happens to the best of us.
DJ Gryphyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

Thank you for info. I will start studing the bars and phrases of trance. I appreate the info.
Unread Jun 23rd, 2009, 03:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tech House

Send a message via AIM to Mike Louth Send a message via MSN to Mike Louth Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Louth

You crack me up Makena..

"A forum post should be like a skirt; long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting."
Mike Louth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 26th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Qualified Forum Addict

Send a message via MSN to Soundmute Rec

There is no determined style for learning beatmach, on my oppinion. Simply you can use full on, cause all intros and outros are mostly based on same share, same as new euro trance. For mixing during the tracks playing, techno is good. Catch on breaks is the best in goa trance and at ambient music it is perfect way to made your skill with fade mixing.
Soundmute Rec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 26th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cooking Up A Mix
Forum Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louth View Post

You crack me up Makena..

after i replied to him it occurred to me that he's the one that started a zillion threads about mixing

kinda reminds me of having to study boring subjects, there was always something that interfered, either i got hungry, than got thirsty, than had to pee, than it was late and got sleepy

I Use Multi-Million Dollar Satellites to Find Tupperware in the Woods :D
all my sets at my ever W.I.P. website --> http://www.t4e.nu/

Last edited by trance4ever : Jun 26th, 2009 at 09:02 PM.
trance4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 26th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Chillin with Buddah
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomon View Post
As much as I wish I could have learned it overnight, it doesn't work that way. You gotta practice until you hate it and then, when you hate it, you'll start to love it again and that's when you realize how good you've become, that's how it worked with me.
Oh man, I can't tell you how many times in 2001 that I wanted to throw my decks out the window, kick my mixer across the room and smash all of my records.
Unread Jun 27th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
Qualified Forum Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to cezamazec

Quote:
Thats Not Exactly true . If you master the Tables And Know your Timing Of Records/Tracks ,Than you can Mix And Style you Like For Long Period Of Time.I Do it All The Time.Its baby,meaning Very Easy .

Just Stay Practicing ,be Brave And Practice Mixing Tracks On Spots,That Other Dj's Would Think Of .Even if its On A Drop , You Just have to learn how to Beat Match even when there Is No Beat ,Just Follow the Echo ,And Stay Sync In Mind . take Chances .And master That.

Be Well

Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/CeazAmaze
Myspace: www.myspace.com/cezamazec
Twitter: twitter.com/CeazAmaze
Facebook: www.facebook.com/CeazAmaze
bookings@edmnyc.com
http://edmnyc.com/
cezamazec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 27th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #18 (permalink)
Qualified Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Groove View Post
Yes There You Go . Answer is Given . All i did Was Nothing But, Practice Every single day,For More Than 25 + years .and I still practice till this Very Day . Not just beat matching , But, Your Tracks and timing . =)

bookings@edmnyc.com
Unread Jun 27th, 2009, 12:10 AM   #19 (permalink)
Qualified Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Stev View Post
nope trance is actually better with long blends cause u got like 2 to 3 minutes of intro and outro. house u got like 1 to 2 minutes.

yeah what else would we say. thats how every one of us got beat matching down. if u want to mix that badly and just cant get beat matching u should just get a program that does it for you.
No Such thing as Long Blend, There are Only A Mix ,A Blend And A Slap Mix. "Blends" Meaning For A Quick Mix ."Mix" Is For Long Mixing Not Long Blend. and a "Slap Mix" is for when you just want to Do those 1 second Mixes .

bookings@edmnyc.com
Unread Jun 27th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

I learnt on DnB. it's a little tricky, but it gets your ears working overtime. instead of using the autobeatmatch, you learn to pick it and match it yourself... also, DnB has many different pitches of bass, so it's a good one to pick speeds, and tuning.

goodluck