Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > General Discussion > The DJ Booth
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Mar 28th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
Addict in Training

... this is a nice guide, phineasfreak! but i can't agree with you on all that expense just to start...

you should not be using so much hardware and software if you are a beginner dj
IMO all you need is a software like virtual DJ. You can start from there and experiment.
Then once you feel the need for better equipment your setup will gradually improve.
卐卐卐 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 8th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

Send a message via MSN to PhineasFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 卐卐卐 View Post
... this is a nice guide, phineasfreak! but i can't agree with you on all that expense just to start...

you should not be using so much hardware and software if you are a beginner dj
IMO all you need is a software like virtual DJ. You can start from there and experiment.
Then once you feel the need for better equipment your setup will gradually improve.
ummm... read first post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhineasFreak View Post
...electronic media such as mp3s can now be mixed using just a computer and some software ...
reading is good. it tells you stuff.

New Psy-Dub remix!
http://www.ubetoo.com/psytrance/46349
PhineasFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 11th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #23 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
have a question got a old toy from my bro the tweakalizer (behringer) been using the dcm-2000 dual tables via mixer what do I need to get the tweak working

cords? where to plug them in
www.soundcloud.com/robot-noise
child of the beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 19th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #24 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Agree with the poster above. This helps a lot
krem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 5th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #25 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Wow. I'm impressed. Not only did you answer my questions immediately after setting me up to ask them, I genuinely feel like I came out of this thread much more informed. It seems like the majority of people take the DJ > producer route, but I'm trying to go the opposite way.
dreamshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 23rd, 2011, 09:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Default I LOVE MUSIC

So I originally came across this website because I recently became a fan of Miss Nine and I heard of her show, Nine Sessions. So I figured I would join to somehow get notified or something when she has a next one.

I chose to join the forums, and the first thing I saw, was about a beginner DJ, which is what I am aspiring to be. Specifically a Producer to be exact, but now that I know producer is like 10 times harder, I guess I will do what many do, and I will transition. My hopeful focus is Trance, House, and Progressive.

I read your posts PhineasFreak, (love the name btw, I'm a big fan of the show), and I felt like I got so much information out of it. I even bookmarked one of the links that was a DJ Software review, and I will take a look into Zulu and PCDJ for which I like more. They both seem very good.

I am thankful for this post, and will definitely put it to good use. Hopefully, one day I will have my name in big lights as I walk onto one of those stages at Ultra Music Festival as my dream tells me to.

DJVAN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 4th, 2011, 06:01 AM   #27 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Great thread and good info Phineas. I've very recently grown an interest in DJ'ing as a pure hobby (for now at least) and have been debating buying a digital controller to start learning and playing around with. However, as a complete noob who only started looking into things for a couple days, I'm not sure what I'm looking for in a controller. Some examples I've looked through are the Vestax VCI-300 Dedicated USB MIDI DJ Controller for Serato ITCH, Vestax VCI-100, Hercules DJ Control MP3 E2, Hercules DJ Console RMX, and some other Hercules and Vestax ones.

They range in price from $100 to $700 and I'm not really sure how to make a decision on which to get. I'm sure the $700 is better quality and has more features, but what features would this actually be? I'm still not familiar with what would be considered the really "awesome" features of a $700 controller vs a $100 controller. Is it worth the price jump? Can anyone give me any more info on how to choose between some of these? I can afford the $700 one, but if I don't need to then that would be great!

Thanks!

And signed it!!!
http://i50.tinypic.com/35ksv9f.jpg
tripUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 7th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #28 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Send a message via AIM to DJ_Endo Send a message via Yahoo to DJ_Endo

Hey Guys,

Here's a perfect article for everyone to check out -

"10 Tips & Tricks from Dubspot Instructors" on what makes a great DJ!

Enjoy!

http://blog.dubspot.com/ten-tips-for-djs/
DJ_Endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Nov 6th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
Addict in Training

One thing that I enjoy is that everyone on here shares the same general enthusiasm for music. I have myself been DJ'ing since '98 on two tech 12's. I still have them along with a Vestax 07 pro battle mixer. I have recently purchased Traktor Scratch Pro and a Kontrol X1. I don't care if you are on tables or a mouse, this is mixing. The only difference I see is that I have something to reach out and touch the song with that is rotating. Get into mixing, however you can, and you will be hooked!!!
dj_mastermind_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 10th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #30 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Android is unlike any other mobile development platform or Java-based environment. *Triple Bottom Line’s Android webinar *will immerse students in the Android platform, leveraging their existing Java expertise, and allowing them to walk away from the class ready to build Android GUIs and related components.On the first class you will write your first Android Activities. Through the rest of the week you will be progressively introduced to more and more of what Android has to offer – services, multitouch, and system search services. You will apply this knowledge with working code every step of the way. Be ready to work hard and learn a lot in this intensive, hands-on, five day introduction to programming with the Android platform.
pal888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 13th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #31 (permalink)
Junior Addict

I don't have a whole lot to add except some links to resources that are helpful in the process. I'm not sure whether I can post links yet so I'm gonna have to write on the down-low. There are plenty of good tutorials out there, the ones I've been using the most are on Youtube. CHeck out the user Dubspot, a DJ/production-academy in NYC. They've got several mini-tutorials free of charge. If you (like me) are learning Traktor, the user DjAralo has got a 21-part series of tutorials for Traktor Pro. Other than that I've had a LOT of help from all the content over at digitaldjtips (dot com) and djtechtools (dot com). There ya have it, most of you already knew about these but just in case...
Unread Dec 14th, 2011, 04:17 AM   #32 (permalink)
Addict in Training

Nice posts!

But really really stuck on what to get here as a complete starter.

In one way I like the thought of Vinyl's.. dont want to be a sheep and jump over to digital.. plus cool to gain experience and a little vinyl collection.

On the otherhand when I see for example the DDJ-T1 i think :/ why not go for this as a beginner.

Any advice people?
Zerosevenfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Dec 18th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Addict

great thread!!!
DJMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 18th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerosevenfive View Post
Nice posts!

In one way I like the thought of Vinyl's.. dont want to be a sheep and jump over to digital.. plus cool to gain experience and a little vinyl collection.

I'll respect you if you did this.
http://soundcloud.com/pulsedriver1/dark-room-dark-hard-trance-mix
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 18th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #35 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

Phin!
be back now, Wofl!
Mardouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 1st, 2012, 12:55 PM   #36 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to amyy Send a message via Skype™ to amyy

i want to be producer..anyone can help me? how to using FL studio? or ableton?
amyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 1st, 2012, 01:11 PM   #37 (permalink)
RO2
DI Critical Mass

Next forum down.
RO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 12th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #38 (permalink)
Qualified Forum Addict

Wow, this is a superb thread, I aspire to be a DJ someday, I even considered joining one of those "Dj Academys", anyway I would like to ask a question..I know there are softwares which allow you to auto "Beatmatch" and stuff..but I would really like to learn the basics, can someone post here how to "Beat-match", with your ears only, not using any kind of software or stuff. It would be very helpful

-Thanks.
LordSaxyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 13th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #39 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to DJ Stev Send a message via MSN to DJ Stev

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSaxyness View Post
Wow, this is a superb thread, I aspire to be a DJ someday, I even considered joining one of those "Dj Academys", anyway I would like to ask a question..I know there are softwares which allow you to auto "Beatmatch" and stuff..but I would really like to learn the basics, can someone post here how to "Beat-match", with your ears only, not using any kind of software or stuff. It would be very helpful

-Thanks.
first off dont waste ur money on dj academy!

second look up ellaskins on youtube. his vids taught me how to beatmatch. his fundamentals are taught on vinyl but you can easily transfer the knowledge with any medium. plus he gives good lessons on phrasing, putting together a mix and tips on avoiding common mistakes and errors that big name djs do.

http://www.mixcloud.com/311Musik/

Dj mixes by di.fm forum residents dj mel wildcatfball bonovoxx and dj stev
DJ Stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 13th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #40 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to DJ Stev Send a message via MSN to DJ Stev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerosevenfive View Post
Nice posts!

On the otherhand when I see for example the DDJ-T1 i think :/ why not go for this as a beginner.

Any advice people?
im gonna me it simple. are u willing to pay the extra cash for vinl? if so go for it its very rewarding. but if ur tight on cash. mp3/cdj is the way to go. especcially if u get decks that can play off flash drives or sd cards.

i had to stop getting vinyls because 1 they never had the songs i wanted in stock and 2. 10 dollars a vinyl for new releases adds up. i used to find good deals on this one site but they shut down

http://www.mixcloud.com/311Musik/

Dj mixes by di.fm forum residents dj mel wildcatfball bonovoxx and dj stev
DJ Stev is offline   Reply With Quote