Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > General Discussion > The DJ Booth
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Apr 5th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Addict in Training
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 3
Default What causes the pop/crackle In vinyl?

I clean all my records and keep them in perfect condintion But still get crackling often! What is the cause of the crackle?

I find when I have loud music, you dont notice it that much but when its quiet music, its almost constant crackling and becomes annoying. Or is this just the way vinyl is?
Jambo Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 5th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
DI Black Hole
 
danmark_ori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: is someone missing ?
Posts: 67,047
Send a message via Yahoo to danmark_ori Send a message via Skype™ to danmark_ori
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo Rambo
I clean all my records and keep them in perfect condintion But still get crackling often! What is the cause of the crackle?

I find when I have loud music, you dont notice it that much but when its quiet music, its almost constant crackling and becomes annoying. Or is this just the way vinyl is?
I have no single commercial 'attachment' with it - but treating vinyl with the permanent-antistatic liquid "Permostat'' solved the problem for me. That is: with not-worn vinyls. Worn vinyls have an uneven surface - which will generate noise forever
__________________
Ursus maritimus: sea bear ~ NL: ijsbeer

time to say goodbye : http://forums.di.fm/showthread.php?t=131553
danmark_ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 5th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict
 
Jeremy Micheal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Astral Plain
Posts: 3,055
Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Micheal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo Rambo
I clean all my records and keep them in perfect condintion But still get crackling often! What is the cause of the crackle?

I find when I have loud music, you dont notice it that much but when its quiet music, its almost constant crackling and becomes annoying. Or is this just the way vinyl is?
you might not be cleaning your vinyl as good as you think (make sure to use anti-static fluid). or could it be your needles or when they press the vinyl if the groves are too close together it could cause this. in some cases its just the vinyl especially if its warped or worn.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

COME TO THE DARKSIDE,
WE HAVE COOKIES!!!

Drigh: "we're not paid tech support"

Check out "Lightest Shades of Gray"
in the SSP thread

Last edited by Jeremy Micheal : Apr 5th, 2006 at 12:36 PM.
Jeremy Micheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 5th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Addict in Training
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Micheal
you might not be cleaning your vinyl as good as you think (make sure to use anti-static fluid). or could it be your needles or when they press the vinyl if the groves are too close together it could cause this. in some cases its just the vinyl especially if its warped or worn.
I will look out for the anti static fluid! Thanks for the tip

I am noticing the crackling alot on records I bought last week, so they arent heavy used at all! Unless they were tested in the store by some idiot who doesnt know how to take care of the records

Hmmmm so maybe its my needle How do I know if its the needle? Without testing on another turntable?
Jambo Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 5th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Addict in Training
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmark_ori
I have no single commercial 'attachment' with it - but treating vinyl with the permanent-antistatic liquid "Permostat'' solved the problem for me. That is: with not-worn vinyls. Worn vinyls have an uneven surface - which will generate noise forever
Permostat thats what we need eh! Cheers mate


"Permostat is a unique fluid which, once applied to both record surfaces, ... One standard size bottle of Permostat treats approximately 25 LPs."

15£ For 25 lps Damn thats alot.


http://www.milty.co.uk/mediacar.htm
Maybe the zerostat is a better option?

Last edited by Jambo Rambo : Apr 5th, 2006 at 12:46 PM.
Jambo Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 5th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 54
Default

As far as I know, when the needle runs across a groove, it is extremely hot - hot enough to burn dust in to the vinyl. When a grain of dust gets burned in, the groove is permanently damaged and the needle picks up this damage as a pop/click.
skyran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 5th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,514
Default

http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl~...RUV-GLIDE%2001
THE TRUTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 5th, 2006, 01:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Chillin with Buddah
Forum Moderator
 
Deadly Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 22,848
Talking

Make sure you lightly wipe your records with a cloth that doesn't leave lint. That's very important and I find that Gruv Glide record cleaner works well too. Some records you can't get rid of the rattling but I kind of like the rattling sound that older vinyl makes. It's very warm sounding to me.
__________________
"If the truth can be told so as to be understood, it will be believed" Terence McKenna
Deadly Groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 5th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict
 
Jeremy Micheal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Astral Plain
Posts: 3,055
Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Micheal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyran
As far as I know, when the needle runs across a groove, it is extremely hot - hot enough to burn dust in to the vinyl. When a grain of dust gets burned in, the groove is permanently damaged and the needle picks up this damage as a pop/click.
i dont know if i've ever really heard of that happening, could be wrong though but if its new records i dont see that really happening. also when new records should be throughly cleaned due to the releasing agent from when the vinyl is pressed. this can be another cause for crackling/poping on new records

Hmmmm so maybe its my needle How do I know if its the needle? Without testing on another turntable?

your only using one table? if your using two talbes just try the record on the other table to see its just your needle. what kind of needles are you using?
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

COME TO THE DARKSIDE,
WE HAVE COOKIES!!!

Drigh: "we're not paid tech support"

Check out "Lightest Shades of Gray"
in the SSP thread
Jeremy Micheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 5th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict
 
Jeremy Micheal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Astral Plain
Posts: 3,055
Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Micheal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Groove
Make sure you lightly wipe your records with a cloth that doesn't leave lint. That's very important and I find that Gruv Glide record cleaner works well too. Some records you can't get rid of the rattling but I kind of like the rattling sound that older vinyl makes. It's very warm sounding to me.
have to agree with everything mentioned here. even the warming sound
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

COME TO THE DARKSIDE,
WE HAVE COOKIES!!!

Drigh: "we're not paid tech support"

Check out "Lightest Shades of Gray"
in the SSP thread
Jeremy Micheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 5th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Qualified Forum Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England
Posts: 88
Default

I agree, personally I like the slight crackles you get at say, a breakdown - adds to the "warmth"
Daniel Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 5th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict
 
Jeremy Micheal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Astral Plain
Posts: 3,055
Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Micheal
Default

http://djforums.com/tutorials/record_cleaning.php

try this link too. it'll give you directions on how to make your own solution and a very indepth cleaning guide.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

COME TO THE DARKSIDE,
WE HAVE COOKIES!!!

Drigh: "we're not paid tech support"

Check out "Lightest Shades of Gray"
in the SSP thread
Jeremy Micheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 6th, 2006, 05:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Micheal
i dont know if i've ever really heard of that happening, could be wrong though
Really? I've heard it a few times, though you're probably right that if it's new vinyl then this kind of damage is unlikely. But the surface of a record attracts dust, so unless the record is sealed, dust can easily have got in to the sleeve when sitting on a shelf/being handled by other customers.

Quote:
Everytime you play a vinyl, the tip of the needle runs at an operating temperature of around 300 degrees celcius and as it passes over a section of groove it actually melts the vinyl, just temporarily. Welcome to the world of record wear (and tear).
Source
Click here
Also here
And here
skyran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 6th, 2006, 05:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Jay
I agree, personally I like the slight crackles you get at say, a breakdown - adds to the "warmth"
Slight crackles yes, and it's nice to be reminded that the DJ is spinning vinyl. But too much can get annoying and sounds very amatuer if playing out.
skyran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 6th, 2006, 09:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Addict
 
Ace_Of_Space's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 49
Default

I find unless the records damaged you get a slight crackle if the record is at a point of complete silence somtimes not matter how much you clean. Could just be crappy record but some records crackle exesivly and i think its just due to wear and tear...
__________________
Ace of Bass-Ace of Space
Ace_Of_Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 6th, 2006, 07:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 548
Default

I don't get a lot of crackling and I don't even clean my records. I may wipe the dust off with my sleeve but that's about it. I only really have problems with older records with visible scratches.
Erkenfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 6th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict
 
fugue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyran
Quote:
Everytime you play a vinyl, the tip of the needle runs at an operating temperature of around 300 degrees celcius and as it passes over a section of groove it actually melts the vinyl, just temporarily. Welcome to the world of record wear (and tear).
Source
Click here
Also here
And here
I still find this hard to believe even after all those references. If it melts the vinyl, how does it even play at all after the first play? 300 degrees celsius seems like it would totally destroy the groove. Not to mention the fact they don't know how to spell "celsius"
__________________
If I can't dance you can keep your revolution!
fugue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 6th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
DI Resident Mad Scientist
 
ediblesound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: hyperlatticed in every di
Posts: 13,674
Default

contact speckle patterns are like snowflakes- they proceed out of the tendencies directing the fractals of motion that result in them- it can indeed be magical- or can be hastily and abruptdly marred....
ediblesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 6th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Vocal Trance Addict
DI Crew Moderator
 
djGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: The OC, USA
Posts: 17,796
Send a message via AIM to djGT
Default

I play CDs and I still get the pop & crackling, at least from the ones ripped from my vinyls!
__________________
♥ Every 3rd Tuesday @ Vocal Trance Channel @ 12PM US PST / 3PM US EST ♥

Next Show: Choon in for VOT #108 (April 15) + Voices Of Spring 2014 (April 22) @ 12PM-5PM US EST

♪ www.GenerationTrance.com ♪
djGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 6th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Chillin with Buddah
Forum Moderator
 
Deadly Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 22,848
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by djGT
I play CDs and I still get the pop & crackling, at least from the ones ripped from my vinyls!


You crack me up GT! I have some rattling in my mp3s too because they were originally from vinyl.
__________________
"If the truth can be told so as to be understood, it will be believed" Terence McKenna
Deadly Groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright © 2010 Digitally Imported, Inc.