Digitally Imported Homepage

Go Back   Digitally Imported Forums > General Discussion > World of Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread Feb 17th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

Default Is Trance Dead?

Yeah, I know it’s not the most original topic – and it may have been tackled on this very site along with countless others before – but I wanted to reproach it on a site with a lot of Trance listeners.

For starters, I am a fan of Trance Music. I started DJing trance over 10 years ago. But I do notice that the genre is having a hard time staying relevant and evolving. Do you think this is a spell or the signal of the end of a genre that is having a hard time moving past its own commercial popularity? When Sensation White (2008) is booking hardly any traditional Trance DJs does that say something? There’s still great new Trance coming out but it still feels a little familiar beyond the point of just being the sound of the genre.

I would love to hear your [constructive] feedback. And if you do think Trance is in trouble, what’s next?
Neiljaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 17th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
DI Chronic Addict

Trance is definitely not dead, or even in trouble. It's blown-up bigtime around Europe over the last decade or so. Just ask any European er around here.

It's a slow steady process, but it'll continue to pick-up more and more as time goes on in the States. It's really catching on here in LA and NYC (where 's home is located). We're seeing more and more of big name DJs playing around here, such as AVB, Christopher Lawrence (from LA), and Thrillseekers, just to name a few. Give it some time, everything will be just fine
Peter Gun: Pressure Point
Ivan Nikusev & Wav-E: Aurora (Airwave Breaks Remix)
Timewave: Strange Worlds
Mirok: LSDrome
The Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 22nd, 2009, 02:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Midnight364 Send a message via AIM to Midnight364 Send a message via Yahoo to Midnight364

I think the golden age of Trance fell sometime around 2002-2005 and everything afterward has kind of been a weird melding of Trance with other genres like progressive, house, and breakbeat. Whenever I listen to streams these days I don't hear anything that has that uniquely distinctive "trance" sound that makes me think of those years.

This may just be the ramblings of someone who has the nostalgia-goggles strapped on too tight, but I really think that Trance has been on the decline in the recent years and that the best has already come. Real shame, it is.
Midnight364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to ominae

this topic is dead. or has been beaten to death.
ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 22nd, 2009, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Send a message via AIM to TsMkLg068423

Repeated topic about Trance being dead and another topic about Trance, don't people listen to other Electronic/Dance sub-genres?

http://www.robbinsent.com

http://www.acseven.com
TsMkLg068423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
wJs
Regular Forum Addict

Send a message via MSN to wJs

Another useless thread, seriously how is trance dead. It is only yet to flourish ounce again

Super8 & Tab - Irufushi
Reconceal & Andy Blueman - The World To Come (Andy Blueman Mix)
Ferry Tayle & Static Blue - L'Acrobat
Sied van Riel - Contrasts
Orla Feeney - Comic Strip
wJs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 27th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Addict

Yes. Definitely.
djmicromix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 20th, 2010, 04:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

Send a message via AIM to Exhibit_Aries
Exclamation Not entirely...

The short answer to the question is not entirely. The longer answers vary.

Is trance dead as we knew it before 1997? For the most part.
Is trance as we know it today dead in Europe? No.

Is trance dead in the United States?

Almost, which is why - for the most part - the club scene in the U.S. sucks. The only tolerable EDM you can expect to hear at a U.S. gig is progressive house, disco house, and good, old-fashioned, no modifier-attached house. In certain places you might hear dub-step, techno, or drum & bass, and of course there will be some exceptions on the fringe. Dub-step can be good. The others are okay.

Electro-house and tech-house are garbage. It's actually the reason that the progressive trance (which many, including myself call trance) perfected from 1999-2006 has gone to utter crap. As soon as the trance powers that be (TiŽsto, Armin, et. al) slowed down the tempos and walked almost entirely away from the uptempo, elemental bump and high hat, it was over. Now, if you listen to the A State Of Trance radio show, you do not hear what I call trance. You hear an electro-tech-bastardized form of trance that - yes, I cannot deny - is horrible. EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE, there will be a track or two that stands out.

The closest thing to good trance you can find is Above & Beyond's Trance Around The World radio broadcast, which is actually a blend of progressive house and progressive trance, and even they pick a lousy track occasionally. I wouldn't be surprised if they begin heading in the wrong direction soon.

As far as TiŽsto's Club Life goes, forget it. Elvis has left the building. Club Life sucks. What's funny is that now, TiŽsto mixes a lot of the music that the trance-haters love! It's hilariously ironic. Anyway, the great classics of yesteryear that TiŽsto once brought to us (whether they were his own, TiŽsto-badged productions composed by others artists, collaborations, or tracks produced by other artists that he merely featured on a mix compilation) are dead to that man. And it's sad. Whenever people say that TiŽsto sucks, they're only half right. His In Search Of Sunrise compilations (only 1 -6) are the greatest EDM compilations of all time as far as I'm concerned (and not all of the tracks were "trance").

BT is the last great hope, but whether or not his truly excellent 'These Hopeful Machines' can be classified as trance, I won't argue. Either way, it's the best EDM artist album I've heard in years.

And as for all of this stuff I see people referring to as real trance (pre-1997 I guess), you're dealing with a new generation that hasn't even heard it. I haven't heard much of it, and I never really got into it. I erroneously called progressive trance trance for a long time, but it's so much better than what is apparently real trance that I still call any progressive track that has trance-like qualities a trance song, if only to associate it with the way I think EDM should sound.

For instance, Gabriel & Dresden's Arcadia is one of the best EDM songs of all time, and even though its standard BPM puts it in the progressive category, I call it trance, because it literally puts me in a trance. Plus, some tracks don't fall into the progressive category, but don't fall into the traditional trance category either. Yet they are trance tracks. Kaste - Desert Eagle is an example of a truly great EDM song that can't be called anything other than trance, even though it doesn't sound anything like trance from 1995. I'm not really saying anything you shouldn't already know. Just go to Beatport.com and randomly go through the trance section. It's amazing the crap they call trance.

The whole "Is trance music dead???" question is just an opportunity for people to rant at each other over taste. The EDM genres cross and overlap so often that the question exists mostly so that people can sound off on their opinions about the direction EDM is heading, which is away from trance as we knew it prior to 1997, trance as I love it and identify it, and trance in general.

Trance used to be the Holy Church of EDM. A TiŽsto/Armin/Corsten/Oakenfold concert circa 1999 would absolutely destroy any other club/concert EDM experience today. Period. People like to make fun of people standing around during a break (not dancing, etc.), but they won't acknowledge that a well-done, epic break which leads into an even more epic climax and breakdown is - by far - the most glorious thing to be heard in all of EDM. House's lack of that is what makes it so unappealing to me.

The truth is that EDM as a whole is swirling around the toilet bowl. When trance was its best, that was the peak. It's all been downhill from there.

Just go to a mainstream place like Best Buy and look at the electronica section. Most of the stuff left is older TiŽsto, some AVB, some George Acosta, ATB, Paul Oakenfold, and a bunch of Ultra Dance/Trance/etc CDs. Almost no casual listener looking for some good "techno" (the amateur's term for EDM) is going to walk in to Best Buy looking for a tech-house CD. The only people who buy all that modifier-house garbage are DJs, and they buy it online (or at record stores, if they go vinyl). The casual listeners don't buy it. They get drunk and dance to it. The DJs get drunk and DJ it.

And why not? It's the easiest music in the world to mix... ESPECIALLY tech-house. Don't worry about mixing harmonically and making sure melodies don't clash, which is hard to do with progressive trance. Tech-house is so percussion heavy and melody light that all you have to watch is the tempo. Line up the BPM's and start sliding. It all sounds the same. Drop the old bass. Bring in the new. Yay.

If somebody tells you that trance is dead, they're probably a house DJ.

...As far whether or not you can make money mixing trance?

RESOUNDING NO!!! (Unless you've already mixed trance for a stadium full of people in the last 10 years, then the answer is yes. People will pay.) Of course I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea.

...AND YET - the question that begs to be asked about the United States: How alive has trance ever really been here???

www.medma.us

Last edited by Exhibit_Aries : Jun 20th, 2010 at 04:11 AM.
Exhibit_Aries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 20th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cruising at 120BPM

Send a message via AIM to HudsonHawk Send a message via MSN to HudsonHawk

I loled, because reading this was a waste of time. I hope it didn't take to write it.

Last edited by HudsonHawk : Jun 20th, 2010 at 07:12 AM.
HudsonHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 20th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

Well classic Trance is history now trance is commercial now.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 20th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
DI Forum Lurker

Send a message via AIM to Topbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
I loled, because reading this was a waste of time. I hope it didn't take to write it.
Your post added nothing to the discussion, take your pessimism else where or be reported.

As far as I'm concerned, trance was never big at all in the US, especially after Gabriel & Dresden broke up to do/play other things. (One of the very few producers from the US that was actually good)
I have had to convert literally all my friends to even listening to any trance, and that only happened due to how much I played it and released mixes over the years that they listened to. A number of them recently went to a EDM show in SF that Armin was even playing at. I didn't bother going because I know the current situation of ASOT and what gets passed as "trance." Their impressions? "Meh, nothing special" But then again, they were on drugs the whole time also. Two people (that I don't know) even died from that specific event from being idiots and overdosing.

It seems to me that EDM in the US has been reduced to an excuse to go under an influence and flair your body about to the repetitive, uninspired beat of modern day productions.
Unread Jun 20th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Forum Addict

When you tell someone that you like Trance they go like "What is that?"

Last edited by Oleg : Jun 20th, 2010 at 02:40 PM.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 20th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cruising at 120BPM

Quote:
ha, I meant to say "I hope it didn't take him a long time to write it"... as for the value of my post, it's certainly more than his ignorant essay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topbob View Post
It seems to me that EDM in the US has been reduced to an excuse to go under an influence and flair your body about to the repetitive, uninspired beat of modern day productions.
No and no.

Last edited by HudsonHawk : Jun 20th, 2010 at 02:34 PM.
HudsonHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 20th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
DI Forum Lurker

Quote:

No and no.

Quote:
It seems to me
This means this is my view, also known as an opinion. Tread carefully during your next post of insightful comments.
Unread Jun 20th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cruising at 120BPM

you live in SF, here is an opinion contrary to yours http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1005

And next time you're going to share your insightful opinion, don't generalize the scene like you know.
Unread Jun 20th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
DI Critical Mass

thread opened on february 17th, 2009
Mardouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 20th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
DI Forum Lurker

Quote:
you live in SF, here is an opinion contrary to yours http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1005

And next time you're going to share your insightful opinion, don't generalize the scene like you know.
Well congrats to that guy, my point is from what I've seen and heard from my friends, I disagree.
Let me break this down for you since it's apparently pretty tricky to understand.
To me, the trance scene in this area has never been large enough to a point where I would otherwise think better of it.
It's not like I'm writing a research paper here, I'm sharing my experiences and views of my friends.
If I were "generalizing" the scene, it would entail what I'm saying is how I know it to be. Instead, what I'm saying is what I've seen and heard.
In other words, I'm not saying I'm right or wrong.
Unread Jun 21st, 2010, 12:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Addict in Training

you would have to define what you mean by "dead".

due to the internet and the way music is now consumed no style of music is ever commercially dead , there is always some way to ether monetise a style of music. Weather that be on its own or within another product or package.

In terms of club scene in uk It can be hard to find live trance unless your in a city , but that's the case of many styles of music.

every now and again you get vocal trance tracks on radio in UK so in that sense you still have pop music trance tracks coming out.

I don't think any style of music can ever really "die" in a literal sense of the word. With the way things are technologically now , unless some remote culture dissapeard that we are not aware of and were unable to document.
Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 25th, 2010, 04:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
Regular Forum Addict

Send a message via AIM to Exhibit_Aries

The only thing I have to say to Hudson Hawk is bring on a legitimate argument. Cruising at 120 BPM sounds like something I'd like to do in my casket.

Go to sleep.

I'm going to go further to suggest that Hudson Hawk actually likes trance but is afraid to admit it. It's pretty sad when your profile pic and name is based on the worst Bruce Willis movie EVER! EVER!!!!

And you hope it didn't take "time" to write it, Hawkman.

You represent the ultimate demise of EDM. Don't talk to me.

Arrogant essay? Give me a legitimate argument, Bruce.

You sound like a man stuck somewhere between hip-hop/pop and house. Sad when you have to negotiate what sounds good with what is popular. Not that trance is popular, but you seem like more of a slave than an EDM lover.

I bet you're afraid to pump trance with your windows down. All hail Hudson Hawk! The Captain of Uninspiring EDM! The music that makes me want to stay home with my headphones on!

Go to sleep!!!!!!

Bruce makes me sick.

Go mix at an underpacked local club.

www.medma.us

Last edited by PhineasFreak : Jun 25th, 2010 at 06:24 AM.
Exhibit_Aries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 25th, 2010, 05:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
DI Extreme Addict

Learn to edit your posts.